RBTA vs Korallia (**Updated** VS MP10!)

o0zarkawater

So....... my RBTA decided that she (Yes its a girl) liked high flow so much, she would try to see if being IN the powerhead would be enough flow for her.

I think it may have been a little too much.

A couple months ago....

gallery_1199_250_430051.jpg

This morning.....

gallery_1199_250_11255.jpg

Now I've had this RBTA for around 2 years. When I inherited this tank she was just over the size of a half dollar, having been through 2 powerheads back to back 2 months prior to me getting it. I wasn't sure at that time she would recover, but after 8 months found a spot in the tank she liked and just blew up!

Recently she was getting too close to a powerhead on the left side of the tank, so I removed it. She started her 2 month long journey to the other side of the tank to be close to my remaining powerhead. In this long journey she killed/stung quite a few SPS, LPS, and Chalices much to my dismay. The last time I saw her I didn't think she was close enough to touch the powerhead, which was why I did not remove it. Came back from breakfast this morning to the lights on and carnage awaiting me.

Rather than cutting or pulling on the nem to get it out of the powerhead, I actually cut a few of the plastic bars on the koralia. I figure paying for a replacement powerhead cage is better than additional damage trying to squeeze her back through.

I have her in a small net breeder box, still in my main tank. I unfortunately don't have a sump I can stick it in, or I would. She has attached herself to the netting on in the breeder box, so I know she is still alive.

It was suggested to me to dose the tank with Lugols and Kent 'Coral Accel', hoping that the added aminos would help with regeneration. I already have brightwells 'Restor' which claims to have aminos in it as well. Do you think either of these products will actually help with her recovery?

Any suggestions on running heavy carbon/GFO/ heavy water changes? None of my other corals seem pissed off right now.

Before this carnage a friend wanted me to frag my big beautiful anemone. I was incredibly reluctant to do so with such a nice big healthy coral. Would now be a good time to go ahead and split it, since it's already been chewed up, or would this possibly damage it too much to recover?

In the meantime, my big momma clown is pissed that she lost her home, and has started to terrorize my other fish, and stir the sandbed up like crazy. I am going to have to unearth any of my corals sitting on the sandbed daily, to make sure I do not lose any more.

Happy Saturday!

Thanks ARC.

Edited by o0zarkawater
  • Like 1

Ouch! Yes definitely leave her be; she may split on her own if she feels it necessary. I'd definitely up WCs & carbon just to be on the safe side. Better to do it before anything looks stressed.

It's a good sign that she's anchored herself. Fingers crossed! You might want to get a cover for those PHs. Foam or plastic mesh for embroidery (from craft store) work well. Just make sure you clean them regularly because they can impact flow a surprising amount when dirty.

It's a Catch-22 situation. You want to keep them away from the powerheads, but they need to be close enough to go up and get some strong flow.

One of my RBTAs tried to get in my Koralia 8 but only managed to get a 1/4 of the way in because the grooves are so small (smaller than the standard or older Koralia 1-4s).

next time I would just leave the anemone in the power head and just turn it off. The anemone will pull itself out. If you try to pull it out or cut the pieces around it you run the risk of tearing it even further and causing more damage. They can pull themselves out even after getting all their whole head torn off.

next time I would just leave the anemone in the power head and just turn it off. The anemone will pull itself out. If you try to pull it out or cut the pieces around it you run the risk of tearing it even further and causing more damage. They can pull themselves out even after getting all their whole head torn off.

Is that what you did the last 2 times she went into the powerheads?

I didn't pull her at all, I just cut the plastic on the korallia. I would have left it, but would have rather not run the risk of it dying and just gunking up the tank by waiting. Also, mommaclown was actively still trying to host the foot, constantly pushing up against it.

It's looking much better today, I have no doubt that it will survive.

Just such a shame for as big as she was to be reduced to the shredded ball of gooooooooooooooooooo

• 1 month later...

So..... 5 weeks later and she lives!

I left her in the breeder cage in the tank for 2 weeks so the clowns couldn't bother her.

I decided to put her back in general population and she's been hiding under the rockwork ever since. Just this week she has started to bubble up and come out during the day.

RBTA ALIVE

Awesome. Has anyone tried using screens over their powerheads? At least that way the worst that would theoretically happen is they'd get stuck to the powerhead rather than pulled into it. Or would that block too much flow?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

REVIVING MY OWN OLD THREAD!

MP10 VS RBTA!

At some point I might learn.

Not this week.

post-1199-0-62140600-1377865234_thumb.jp

Fun part is....

I turned off the MP-10 with the vortech's controller and was leaving the RBTA in the powerhead until I finished the water change so I could put her in a breeder net to heal.

Well.... all my pumps are on one power strip, so when I turned back on the skimmer/fuge and other circulation pumps after I was done with the WC, the MP10 came back on and chewed her up a little more.

I figured since it was off when I turned the power strip off, it would remain off.

Oooops.

Nice recovery. I've read these guys and gals almost always make a full recovery if you intervene quick enough. Lol about the clown stirring up the sandbed. Before I got my RBTA my clarkii was obsessed with having two or three zones of the tank being bare bottom, so she would cause a huge mess digging and blasting sand everywhere with her tail. That has finally curtailed. Could be a blessing in disguise for you. No that the anemone is smaller that'll open up some room in the tank

No.

Giant nem is gone.

This was the clone I kept.

Still 7"+ disc.

It looked pretty decent this morning, still stuck in the wet side of the mp10 though. I'm letting it crawl out on its own. I cut the koralia on the other one, but I'm not messing with an mp10.

After feeding an anemone to both a koralia and an mp10, I think the koralia chews it up much worse.

Having been through a few nem and pump episodes myself, I'm amazed that they recover so well. Several times, I've been like, "Oh, that one's a goner." and yet they come back again and again.

They have some crazy regenerative properties.

• 1 month later...

MP10 ROUND 2!

MP10 WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I accidentally knocked one of the clips off of the breeder net a day or two ago so the top was about 1/2" underwater. Didn't think anything about it, also didn't see where the pin to hold the clip fell in the tank.

Yeah, so last night she crawled out of breeder net and into the powerhead again.

Not coming back this time.

I suck at this.

I'll take one when I get home tonight.

Whats left of the foot is still hanging out of the mp10.

I didn't have time to mess with it this morning, so I just turned it off.

Honestly I didn't even look at the tank yesterday, so it may have been in there all day long to be as shredded as it is.

bye.gif