azcummins' Blog

mcallahan

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Found a sweet deal on a NIB Tunze Nano Wavebox ($285 shipped to my door) so I jumped on it. I was tired of hearing my koralia's knock when my wavemaker would start them up and even after dapettit showed me how to fix the issue, I still couldn't get them to be 100% quiet.

Setting up the wavebox was easy. The hardest part was finding the English section of the instructions! I chose to mount the wavebox in the back corner of my tank with the box facing the long axis of my aquarium. You see more of the box this way, but I decided i'd install it as the instructions said till I could get used to how the adjust it.

I guessed that a longer cycle time would be better than a shorter one, so I fired up the box and then started dialing in the wave. Well, I was way wrong. A shorter cycle time got the wave going. I'd say my cycle time is around .5sec and i've got a 1" wave going in my 90g.

I also pulled out all my powerheads to see if I could get by w/out having any powerheads at all. I still have one buried in the rock work, but none that you can see when you look into the tank. Its like I got another 5" of tank real estate! The only flow I have in the tank now is the wavebox, a #1 buried in the rock work, and the return from my sump.

Hopefully that will be enough flow to keep the corals happy and to keep any cyano/GHA away.

My only complain about the box is that on one of the cycles, it makes a bit of a mechanical sound - like a dishwasher washing. Its almost like a low whoosh. It not real noticeable, but enough that I noticed a new sound in my tank. However, if you were in the room with low music on, or talking to someone, you'd never hear it. I'll see if the wave effect is worth it more than the noise.

Overall, I'm glad I got the nano vs. the full sized box. The smaller form factor is nice and I'm happy with a 1" wave as I have no desire to get a 4" wave going in my tank.

I'll post pics once the lights come on and I'm seeing about borrowing a friend's HD camera over the weekend to grab some HD tank footage.

Ok, now I'm hooked. My lights are on and the tank with the wave looks great! Its cool to see everything sway...its actually really relaxing.

The crazy part is the polyps on all my corals are extended more than normal. Its nuts. Get yourself one of these things!

At least one of my fish is happy I turned of my pumps...

blenny.jpg

:lol: That is my biggest worries when I turn off my pumps to feed the corals. I always have to look to make sure my sixline is not inside one of my Korlia :)

Borrowed a friend's HD camera this weekend and shot some footage of my tank (and some of my reefer friends' tanks).

Here is what my GLTA looks like in the wave. Note, this 'nem is on the other side of my tank from the wavebox.

Its a quicktime movie on H.264 format. 25 Mb

Nem/Clown

Ain't it nice? Maybe folks will begin to see why the Tunze is so much more than the Vortech's will ever be. Granted the Vortech's are nice for additional flow but nothing matches the Tunze for wave simulation. Anemones look so nice with them.

Ain't it nice? Maybe folks will begin to see why the Tunze is so much more than the Vortech's will ever be. Granted the Vortech's are nice for additional flow but nothing matches the Tunze for wave simulation. Anemones look so nice with them.

Yeppers. I'd like to have a vortec for a little extra flow over my SPS, but I can't justify $300 for a powerhead.

$285 for a wavebox tho..I'll take it!