azcummins' Blog

mcallahan

That's pretty funny. When I showed up he gave me the cardinal because someone cancelled. That little thing did a good job at hiding in the algae. He had to start taking out rocks to make him come out. I would have loved that Wrasse too...and the Blenny was the biggest one I ever saw. It had a lot of food in there LOL.

Dena

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I'm reserving the right to change my mind. I used to be a HUGE Tunze fan. Then I got a EuroReef RS-80. Holy dirty skimmate! That skimmer works great and it is super easy to dial-in. I'm amazed at the crap that it is pulling out of my tank. And its easy to remove the cup, so if you are looking for a skimmer, I'd highly, highly recommend the EuroReef.

Second addition to the tank is 2 bubble tip anemones. I got them from another ARC member and they are beautiful under my lights. They are a deep sea green color with rose tips. Being my second try at hosting anemones, I'm hoping for better results and hopefully my maroon clown doesn't overwhelm them.

Below are pics of them taken with my crappie point and shoot camera. No color correction of Photoshop work done. (And yes, I know it is a little out of focus)

blogentry-632-1231115211_thumb.jpg

post-632-13019292226999_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up 2 BTAs and 2 LTAs off Britfish and after nearly a month of being in my tank, they are doing really well. I did remove my large maroon clown from the tank as she was loving the large BTA too much for my taste.

The large LTA is moving around a lot trying to find a home, but the others are staying put.

I'm looking to add some false percs soon once I save some more pennies...

Large BTA:

IMG_2153.jpg

Large LTA:

IMG_2152.jpg

Small BTA:

IMG_2154.jpg

I was in Aquatek on Friday and I noticed that had a black wrasse with 4 blue stripes. The tank read = "R.S. Cleaner Wrasse". I assumed "R.S." = reef safe, so for $25, I took the guy home with me.

Little did I know, these guys love SPS! Below is a pic of some brown digi I had in my tank.

This morning:

IMG_2093.jpg

This afternoon:

IMG_2155.jpg

He is is ignorng all the other SPS I have in my tank, but I figure it is only a matter of time till he finds the rest!

Ooops. Luckily, I'm not a huge SPS fan...

You may consider a springer dottyback.......they look very much alike in color. We have one in the main tank and he's been a model citizen. Other fish like the coral beauty, the sixline wrasse keep him busy. I've read that some dottybacks can become bullies, but the springer stays in the smaller scale 1.6 in (4 cm). And generally dottybacks that stay small will stay peaceful with other fish that are larger than him.

• 2 weeks later...

After my Red Sea Cleaner Wrasse wreaked havoc on my brown digi, I moved the digi to my sump where it surprisingly recovered. Then the wrasse started picking @ my open brain LPS, so I moved that to the sump as well.

Well, the two corals got too close to one another and the LPS won. When I checked on the sump today, the digi was slimy and I knew what happened - the LPS had declared war on the digi and won. Corals fight by one basically puking its digestive organs out onto the other coral so that the dominating coral eats the losing coral.

That's what happened in my sump and here are the pics of the digi and a piece of kryptonite that was close to my other open brain:

Digi

IMG_2231.jpg

Kryptonite

IMG_2232.jpg

i know the digi was you favorite,and you are most likely crushed.want some more?haha

Actually, I was going to use it to entice that POS wrasse to get in the fish trap. Now the rest of the digi is gone so I'll have to try something else.

• 4 weeks later...

The digi didn't make it except for one small piece that broke off in my sump. It came back and is now in my main tank.

The candy cane has come back 100% and looks better than ever. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I added 2x250W MH to my tank and look what I get...2 new GBTAs AND my small LTA is splitting AND one of my mother GBTA is throwing off another small clone right now. Sweet. Now if only my clowns would get in them!

One thing to note is that the addition of the new lights adds more fuel to the fire about what has 'nems split. I'm sure the additional light stressed them out some even though I only ran them for 2 hours the first couple of days, then onto 4 hrs.

I do feed the 'nems about every 3 days so that seems to help them grow out. Anyone got a RBTA they want me to clone for them..?

Here is the split captured in pics. The last 2 pics looks so different as the MH lights kicked on.

The first GBTA had split, and this one quickly followed suit

IMG_2331.jpg

The top right of the 'nem is where the split is starting...in case you can't catch it.

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

The final step

IMG_2369.jpg

Very cool. By the way like the avatar! Are you sellking any of them? I may want to put one in the 29.

I am selling them, but people have already contacted me about them. I'll put you next in line for the next split...should be around May if they keep up this schedule! If the sales fall through, I'll be in touch.