azcummins' Blog

mcallahan

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Aghhhh!! If I new you wanted an echinata, I would of offer 2 that I'm trying to get rid off. They look better under the 14K phoenix bulbs, IMO. They're pretty but they need their space from other corals or they'll put out stingers @ night time. Just be cautious about the placement.

• 2 weeks later...

Being tired of brown corals and no growth, I decided to start the Polyp Lab's RF Fuel system on June 1.

The system is basically a carbon source dosing system. There is a carbon source (smells like vinegar), a bacterial strain, an amino acid and a coral food bottle. I opted for the "optimal" dosing which is an everyday dose of the bottles. Every am I dose 2 mL of the carbon source and 4 drops of the bacterial strain. At night, i dose the amino acids and the coral food. Again, 4 drops each.

The results? Well, My zoas are multiplying like crazy where as before the system, they would grow, stop growing, then either stall out completely, or disappear. My SPS is growing by leaps and bounds. I swear some pieces grow before my eyes.

As for coloring of the corals, before the system, most of my corals were green. Even my cali tort was largely green. Now pieces there were brown are coloring up, and other pieces like my rainbow mille are losing their green in favor of red and blue.

Overall, I HIGHLY recommend the system. $175 isn't cheap, but it will last 8 months on a 100 gallon system, dosing it everyday. From my research, I've read that once you get the tank rolling (2mo-ish), you can back off to every 2 or 3 days.

In my opinion, spending around $250 yearly to see great growth and great colorization of your corals is worth it. Just go look at Aquatek's show tank...it runs the system and Bruce swears by it.

Below are some pics of the growth. I'm no photographer so the pics aren't the best but you get the idea.

Yellow Zoas. 5 weeks of growth. Something to note is that some of the heads got brown slime and after 2 days, they had lost the slime and opened back up. This never happened before I started the system.

Before:

DSC_0008.jpg

5 weeks later:

IMG_2697.jpg

Cali Tort. This is a slow growing coral. Note the bottom branch and the tip. In the first pic, the bottom branch is small and straight. Now it has baby branches off it and the base has encrusted more. Tip growth is a good 1/4"AND ITS LESS GREEN!!

Also, notice the growth of the base. On the left hand part of the rock in pic #1, there is a patch of red algae. In pic #2, it is completely encrusted over it.

Before:

DSC_0029.jpg

After

IMG_2691.jpg

Nice! Am very glad to see positive results from this. I started this same dosing regiment a few weeks back, so looking forward to having similar results :)

Have you noticed any improvements/changes with your acans?

I feed oyster feast every 2-3 days. I have reef roids, but its too big a PITA IMO to target feed when I can just squirt in the oyster feast and be done.

My acans aren't showing any major improvements, but I didn't have them in the tank (I think) before I started the system. I will say they are very puffy and very colorful.

The biggest change was in my zoas and SPS. I've got crazy zoa and SPS growth. I think the rest of my SPS will color up over the next few months as they aren't as quick to respond.

It's about time. Glad to see the system is working for you. You can also just dump the reef roids in the tank with the power heads off and turn off your skimmer for about an hour then restart them.

Dave-

• 2 weeks later...

here's what I'm seeing on a weekly basis. Love this system.

Last week (7.12)

Yellow Zoas

IMG_2697.jpg

This week 7.22

IMG_2726.jpg

Cali Tort Last week

IMG_2691.jpg

This week. Notice the growth on the tip. The two small coralites are just coming into view last week, this week, they are fully developed. Also, notice the larger branch on the lower right[./b]

IMG_2722.jpg

Good growth Pug. In my experience the CA tort takes a long time to establish it's base but once it does it will be one of the fastest growing sps in your tank.

I'm ok with that fact! Even its base is encrusting faster too.

I haven't been able to take any pics of my pink lemonade, but It has started building a solid base for itself since the system started too. I believe the pink lemonade is a slow grower...?

I also have a pink lemonade frag which I mounted sideway and so far it has developed this massive three to four inch base without growing upward. I know the upward growth is coming but the base it's laying down is awesome. I hear once it takes off it too will be a pretty fast grower.

Ths picture was taken three weeks ago

IMG_8041.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm taking a break from acquiring corals to turn my attention to getting a couple of more fish. More fish poop = more coral food.

I picked up a bicolor blenny today from Fishy Business. I've had my eye on one of these guys for a while and he already has quite the personality. He likes to find small caves and stick his head out to watch for food passing by.

My next fish will probably be a pair of fire fish. I'm also impressed by dapettit's pair of pyramid butterfly fish, but I'm concerned by purple tang would go after them. He's an insecure fish that will cash other fish around the tank and when they turn on him, he runs away.

Here is the newbie:

blenny.jpg

post-632-13019292273308_thumb.jpg

Cool blenny. One word of caution though. I had one back in the day, and it took a liking to nipping at my orange plate coral :) But that could have just been that fish.

The pyramid's looked cool when I saw them in a store, and I almost had gotten then :) But they were just arrived, so I wanted to wait a bit. When I went back, they were gone (might have been the ones Dave bought). I ended up with a twin spot tang instead.