Annual Port A Collection Trip

:yahoo: We had such a great time on our Port A trip collection trip last year that we figured we'd do it again this year. Right now we are looking at the weekend of July 15th. I know that MAAST usually has their collection trip in July, but with Chad's work schedule and his co-workers taking vacation, we figured we'd plan for this weekend. Nothing fancy, just a bunch of friends hanging out and having fun. Anyone is welcome to join us...the more the merrier :yahoo:

If you are interested in attending or have any questions, please post here.

WOW! how did yall catch all that? did yall have a boat or was that just from the jettis?

We walked out to the end of the jetty and took nets (with the small holes) and head lamps. When you shine the flashlight into the water, you can see the peppermint shrimps red eyes glowing. They like to hang out around the edge of the rocks. It was pretty fun :yahoo:

thanks for thinking of the maast trip belinda. i think it would be great if we could plan them on the same weekend as we were planning on inviting our austin friends as well as those in dallas and houston. i have started a poll in the lounge on the maast website if anyone you or anyone else here would like to go give some input in the events that might be included for the weekend.

thanks for thinking of the maast trip belinda. i think it would be great if we could plan them on the same weekend as we were planning on inviting our austin friends as well as those in dallas and houston. i have started a poll in the lounge on the maast website if anyone you or anyone else here would like to go give some input in the events that might be included for the weekend.

You're welcome Ace! We have taken the poll on maast. :)

WOW! how did yall catch all that? did yall have a boat or was that just from the jettis?

We walked out to the end of the jetty and took nets (with the small holes) and head lamps. When you shine the flashlight into the water, you can see the peppermint shrimps red eyes glowing. They like to hang out around the edge of the rocks. It was pretty fun :yahoo:

This outing is great. I actually leaned toward seigning herbivores. Green Sailfin Mollies and Grass Shrimp (Ghost Shrimp) are usually abundant in the inland marsh. I would do this during daylight hours and need a second person to assist. If there is to be a campfire on the beach, I can operate a gas burner and boil crabs and/or shrimp. I like to do potaoes and corn as well as onions and a new entry is mushrooms. If this fits into the theme of things, I will bring some fishing gear as well. Once down there, I planned on staying for a few days.

La bonne temp roulee.

Patrick

This outing is great. I actually leaned toward seigning herbivores. Green Sailfin Mollies and Grass Shrimp (Ghost Shrimp) are usually abundant in the inland marsh. I would do this during daylight hours and need a second person to assist. If there is to be a campfire on the beach, I can operate a gas burner and boil crabs and/or shrimp. I like to do potaoes and corn as well as onions and a new entry is mushrooms. If this fits into the theme of things, I will bring some fishing gear as well. Once down there, I planned on staying for a few days.

La bonne temp roulee.

Patrick

Now you got me hungry Patrick!!!

We're looking forward to it.

I'm there, and know how to use a seine. although personally I prefer the grass beds in the bay.

Rufus

La bonne temp roulee.

Patrick

I agree about the grassbeds on inland bays. As I went to Texas Maritime Academy in Galveston for four years, a Gulf Coast Theme was my first marine aquarium. The nets which I used consisted of a top and a bottom line with a fine mesh net from top to bottom with two people, each on an oppossite end, working the net. I have also used a dip net with fine mesh and only one operator. I love to watch the handlers of the round throw nets. It just looked like a real thing of athletic skill. Kind of like watching paired doubles figure skating, they each know there part to the dance.

Anyway, I digress. It would suit me to keep out on the beach. Is this acceptable at this site.

Patrick

512-514-1446 home

Sorry to hijack the thread but my wife and I are down from Central Arkansas and was wondering if anyone had some tips/suggestions for collecting before we head home. Unfortunately we are headed home tonight april 12th. But we were wanting to head out and collect a few peppermints and maybe an anemone of our 72g we just started.