Annual Port A Collection Trip

Sorry to hijack the thread but my wife and I are down from Central Arkansas and was wondering if anyone had some tips/suggestions for collecting before we head home. Unfortunately we are headed home tonight april 12th. But we were wanting to head out and collect a few peppermints and maybe an anemone of our 72g we just started.

See this post. You will also need a Saltwater (fishing?) license to legally collect stuff from the jetties. I presume could could get one of those at a shop around the Port A area.

Sorry to hijack the thread but my wife and I are down from Central Arkansas and was wondering if anyone had some tips/suggestions for collecting before we head home. Unfortunately we are headed home tonight april 12th. But we were wanting to head out and collect a few peppermints and maybe an anemone of our 72g we just started.

See this post. You will also need a Saltwater (fishing?) license to legally collect stuff from the jetties. I presume could could get one of those at a shop around the Port A area.

Yeah we got everything we need and Are picking up a license this morning because are going on a fishing charter. I was looking at melevsreef.com at the pictures of a previous collecting trip and the jetty doesnt look like the one we went on the other day. I was wondering where yall go to collect on the jetty and where the marsh is.

Ah, I haven't been collecting there, so can't contribute. I thought someone had talked about locations in that thread. Or maybe it was another one, you might search "collecting" in the Off Topic section.

Thanks for all the info we caught maybe 60 or so peppermint shrimp and a couple small silver fish. But we hit bad luck and our bubbler went out sometime while we were sleeping. when we woke up everything was floating on the surface of the water :( well it was a learning experience, maybe next time our luck wont be so bad. On a side note we went to gulf coast reef and picked up a few new corals for our tank so all in all not a busted trip. If yall do a collection trip later in the year I would cherish the ability to tag along.

Edited by jshelley

Ok - so i've been waiting to respond until I heard back regarding job interviews. Well good news - I've been accepted for a new job today!! Now I'm ready to join everyone on the trip. Where do people stay? I can camp, but to be honest I prefer a motel/hotel room with shower. Can I bring my dogs - or will they scare all the collectibles away?? I'd love to stay where other people are staying to socialize more - It'll just be me and my dogs (if allowed).

LMK

Teresa :D

As I have already indicated I would like to camp out. IF PEOPLE CAN AGREE, i WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO COOK CRABS AND SHRIMP FOR EVERYONE. Because I am on fixed income, social security retirement, I can not afford to buy cart blanch. I had planned on several days camping. Please assite me with "La bonne temp rtoulee"..

Patrick

Ok - so i've been waiting to respond until I heard back regarding job interviews. Well good news - I've been accepted for a new job today!! Now I'm ready to join everyone on the trip. Where do people stay? I can camp, but to be honest I prefer a motel/hotel room with shower. Can I bring my dogs - or will they scare all the collectibles away?? I'd love to stay where other people are staying to socialize more - It'll just be me and my dogs (if allowed).

LMK

Teresa :D

There are a lot of places that you can rent that are pet friendly. Not sure where others are staying, but we rented a house that we are sharing with two other couples.

Here is a link so that you can use to search for a place to stay. http://www.portarans...rch-results/211

Sure you can bring your dogs on the trip..many people do. You may want to leave them in your room when we go collecting as it would probably be hard to collect and watch them at the same time. Its a long walk and there are some big gaps between the rocks. Totally your call though :D

We have really enjoyed our trips to Port A and can't wait to go again this year. For those of you thinking about going, you may want to go ahead and start looking into finding a place to stay. They are having a fishing tournament in Port A the same weekend and places to stay are filling up fast.

Just a quick note: Members should not collect more than what they intend to use in their own tank(s). Do not collect anything with the intention of selling it on ARC as that would be considered a commercial sale. Thanks! Have a great trip!

As I have already indicated I would like to camp out. IF PEOPLE CAN AGREE, i WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO COOK CRABS AND SHRIMP FOR EVERYONE. Because I am on fixed income, social security retirement, I can not afford to buy cart blanch. I had planned on several days camping. Please assite me with "La bonne temp rtoulee"..

Patrick

Patrick,

That sounds great! Can't wait!!!

• 1 month later...

We leave in 2 weeks!!! :yahoo: We really need the break.

Can anyone recommend a private fishing charter for about 4-8 people? We need it to be bay fishing. If we go too far out, Belinda and I will spend the entire time chumming the warter. lol I've been there, done that the last time I went "deep sea" fishing.

• 2 weeks later...

\

With respect to the fishing report for the Texas Gilf Coast. IT IS HOT. The fishing is good at the jetties, as well as in the inland bays. I am looking for someone with a pickup truck that is going to Corpus. Thre weeks ago, I totaled my pickup truck and am without transportation. I planned to camp out and would like to bring my canoe and cooking equipment to boil and fry seafood or whatever. If necesary, I will rent a vechicle and soujour. I look forward to this time.

Cajun Patrick

Just got home from Port A. We had a wonderful time with some great friends!!! Here are a couple of pictures of a little puffer fish I caught. We named her Patti and she's smaller than my pinky nail :)

Have her eating frozen cyclopeeze...yay :yahoo:

Also forgot to mention that she threw her first couple of temper tantrums last night when I was transferring her into her own container. She puffed up and looked about the size of a green pea...lol

post-398-0-85506000-1310956110_thumb.jpg

post-398-0-62650300-1310956168_thumb.jpg