I'm so freaking pissed off!!!!

cmanning

For the past 10 yrs. we never had an issue with locking our doors till it was time to go to bed. The past 2 to 3 wks. someone has been kicking our side door (the one directly to our laundry room). Our dog sleeps in that area (he's an old dog) but he does his share of guarding. This person kicks the door so hard and moves fast, that my dog looks confuse but he's alert and knows someone unwelcome is past that door. My kids are now nervous and I'm beyond pissed. At first, I'm thinking it's a teens prank but for 4 times this has happened and I've reached my limit.

Two days ago this happened and my husband pulled out a flood flashlight and found a fellow hiding in some bushes just across from the street...there's a creek at the cross road so we figure he's been living by the creek, for several days. Police got the call...came and question him...because we did not see the individual running away from the property, there was nothing the police could do to charge him with...but what police did do, was take him to his brother's house.

I would hate to just go spend money on security cameras and what not just to catch the creep....sorry for venting...but I'm so mad right now and can't see straight.

That really sucks Cindy. I have only had one instance that was even the least bit 'shady' since we have live here, but nothing like that. Just make sure that guy runs off to the east or west and not the south ;)

Bill

CIndy and Robert,

Is that end of the house dark at night? If so buy a motion sensor and wire it to the ourside light on that end of house so that when someone walks up the light come on and back off after 10 min of no movement. I did this to my driveway cause i had someone break in my truck twice even witht the dog right next to it. Once i installed sensor on lights no more problems. I also got camo for hunting, i could come set out a couple of nights and tase him, hell shoot him in the knee. JK...U know me, if u mess with my familys well being its not the wisest thing to do. And i dont ask questions.

I'm holding a stakeout :gun: tonight (no guns of course)....got the feeling it's some stupid teenagers...being Friday 13th. I'll just set my video camera out there and let it record for a few hours....got the perfect spot :) picked out. Good ideas to consider though....thanks...I just needed to rant about it..since I couldn't sleep last night, 'cause I was so mad :angry:

i can bring over my fence charger for cattle, and wire, and we can put a wire across porch, believe me he wont stand up to quick. If theres anything i can do to help ya LMK. The motion sensor is only like 12-18 dollars. Just wires inbetween the power on light circuit. When it senses motion it completes the circuit and turns lights on.

I have been very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time with schmucks messing with my house...I had a group of idiots going down the street at Christmas time smashing lights and they had the nerve to come on MY lawn and slice my blow-up Santa, then drag my string of lights down the street. Well, Mama heard them and we had me, Carmine, my son Michael (6'7") running after them like monkeys chasing bananas...they hid in the bushes and we could not find them, until one of the morons stuck his head out to see if we were still coming...lights out, sucker!!...you can't touch them, but you can hold them there, hopefully out of fear...WillCo came, as did other neighbors whose homes were vandalized.... they were sent to juvie, prosecuted, and I received a nice settlement check....

Cindy...I have my house lit like a Christmas tree at night so the cameras can catch faces....all you need are landscaping lights all around and motion sensor lights...it is a small investment, but it will help your peace of mind....if they are being successful at breaking in the door, you need to get a steel door and deadbolts...I know this is noy a way to live right now...I went through this a couple of times...but it will pass either out of their boredom, fear or prosecution when they get caught!!

Let me know if I can help with security...you can even buy "bogus" alarm signs and cameras, just to scare them off....

Just an FYI to everyone, if you have dead bolts make sure that the screws that hold the stike plate are LONG. You want those screws to get as far into the frame as possible. Wilco, where I work, and like many other departments offer a free security audit of your house. They provide excellent tips and a lot of insurance companies offer a discount on your homeowners insurance. For those of you that are serviced by the Williamson County Sheriff's Office should call 512-943-1300 and ask to speak to a deputy in the DARE department. The last time I checked they were still doing this. Lights are the best prevention, as well as knowing your neighbors and their habbits. As many of you know, that doesn't always prevent crime but it does a lot more than you may think in stopping it from happening in the 1st place. Digital camera systems have come a very long way. They have a much sharper image and are very affordable. Fry's and ebay offer inexpensive systems. State law does allow deadly force to protect yourself and/ or your property. What you need to consider is if what they are doing is worth the end result. Something that you must live with for the rest of your life. If it is to protect yourself or someone else, I believe it is a no brainer. Property can always be replaced (and I know a lot of folks including other cops that would argue this with me) Also consider some people simply do not have the ability to follow through even though they swear they could. I know this is an extreme example but since protecting yourself is really what this boils down to I thought I would take this from a-z. Chris, I read about all of this on the status updates and I understand where you are coming from in that a lot of people believe this too. However, when it comes down to it and you are put into the position of using deadly force because you believe that by not acting in such a way, it would end in substantial injury or death to you or someone you are protecting, do you really want to hit a leg just so they can still shoot at you. We receive a substantial amount of firearms training every year as well as tatical training. We are never trained to shoot to hurt. You want to completely stop the agression. Remember, they put themselves in this situation. Plus, it only takes a second for someone to advance towards you from across the room. Try seeing how fast you can run across the room. Most of that time, you will spend it processing the information of what is hapening. Hopefully you will have time to actually react properly. Take this from someone who has had a gun pointed at his head. Anyway, sorry to have taken so much time on explaining this but I really do care about about our ARC family.

Chad and the other gave some great advice.

Motion sensor lights are the simplest solution... with an off duty officer friend waiting around to help. :)

If this person is repeating his aggression of sorts then they are doing it to get some sort of reaction from you and your family.

Use extreme caution, I would advise you not to wait for them. Generally, if the perpetrator is doing something to get a reaction, they won't think much past a bit more violence towards you to save their bacon if you corner them.

My dad was a life long officer. We had someone coming up to the house on his duty night when we were kids. The trick was they knew our dogs so the dogs didn't usually make a fuss.

Living in the old south (Louisiana) there are always lots of solutions to share. A very large rat trap set up in the area of the window they liked to peep. But if their are any usual wild animals & rodents this can have and adverse effect.

Good luck and be safe.

This conversation is a good eye opener to me as I'll be moving into my first home at the end of the month. I like the motion sensor/lights idea, as it's simple and not too expensive. I'm assuming there should be a set at all entrances, including the garage? Any other precautions a homeowner can take easily and without much expense? Do the fake signs really deter people?

I read somewhere that the sign by itself makes a house 80% less likely to get broken into. There are lots of alarm companies willing to install a basic alarm system for free if you sign up for 5 years of monitoring. Just make sure to read all the fine print. And NEVER use AMP! Terrible company! I am with Monitronics now and I like them. It's a little under $50 a month.

My sign has a picture of a Rott and says "I can make it to the fence in 2.8 seconds, can you?" spiteful.gif

I also have a couple of extra dogs if you want to borrow one LOL.

That's a real cool sign..Dena. We would definitely install light sensors and also been thinking about making an future addition to our family...eventually we would like to have a female German Shepherd. Zeus in getting up there in yrs. and he's starting to develop cataract......we would like to get him a friend, he still has that puppy in him and loves to play.

During hurricane Gustav, when we were without power for 5 days, I sat in the driveway and cleaned guns for two days (I cleaned them many, many times). But didn't have any trouble with break-ins or any of the other crap that happened in our area.

During hurricane Gustav, when we were without power for 5 days, I sat in the driveway and cleaned guns for two days (I cleaned them many, many times). But didn't have any trouble with break-ins or any of the other crap that happened in our area.

lol +1 to this approach :wacko: as well as the flood motion light idea

Most alarm companies will install for free if your house was prewired for it. They make you sign a 2-3 year contract and the terms can be a PITA. For example, you sign a 3 yr contract and there is only a 10 day window at the end of the contract in which you can cancel. Miss that window and you're automatically renewed for another 3 years. Only way out is an incredibly expensive buy-out or they ding your credit. When we built our house 2 years ago we got one of these deals with a company called CounterForce. Luckily they were just bought out by ADT, who sent a letter saying that terms are now that you go on a month-to-month at end of original contract.

That said, we have about 5 extra "Home protected by ADT" stickers that you are welcome to have. Put them up on your doors and windows and nobody will no any different....

My husband and his family used to train police dogs (mainly GSDs) for the Travis County Constables, along with other states,  before his dad passed away a couple years ago. I got my girl GS from there when she was about 3 months old. The last 6 years she has been my shadow, my protector in a few different situations, but most of all my best friend.  I did some basic training with her mainly obedience, some agility. Once your new addition bonds with you, no one will be able to come near the house. That's now THEIR house lol. My mother in law still has my dogs litter brother, and his son. I can't come near their house without setting them off. Even walking in, the younger one still stands between my mother in law and me, guarding her. The brother, well, he's plopping his butt on my feet until I decide to move lol. My girl will give a warning bark at the door when someone knocks. Then she comes and stares at me grunting until I acknowledge the door or her. Then she will wedge herself between me and the person. With my 3 year old niece, she herds her to stay near the couch, but if she wanders off, she will stick to her like glue. If you walk in with a hat, or sunglasses on, you will be inspected for a much longer period of time, than if you came in as yourself. One thing, don't ever tell a stranger your dogs name. If for some reason they break in, they have the ability to call your dog off...his name. If you have any questions, I would love to help. Just give me a shout.