Club Equipment - PAR Meter

tmelhiser

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something that I put a little bit of thought into and it relates to the shipping/pickup/return of the device that I eluded to earlier.

So here goes:

I just finished talking with Shane over at Fishy Business. He is willing to be the Depot for this and future devices. This means that when you check it out, it will be in good order, when you return it, it will be tested. If it breaks in the mail (let's hope you insured it, or you just lost a deposit).

I will put together a ticketing/reservation system for checking things in and out.

This electronic form will let you see where it is currently, what the wait queue is, and when it will be back, or potentially shuffle spots with other users if you both agree to it.

By having a central depot that's not someones house, we should eliminate the "It worked when I had it!" Syndrome and "When can we meet!, I was there for 5hrs waiting, where were you" Syndrome!

Things to be aware of, as with any shared device, if you are the one responsible for it and are the person of record who has it checked out, and you let your buddy "Breaky McBrokeit" who's not a member or even if a member but not checked out to him, it's between you an "Breaky McBrokeit" to sort out how to repair it, but ultimately you are responsible for its well being.

There will be a formal "rental" sheet at Fishy Business or available for download if you want to take advantage of the mailing version.

When mailing, you will be responsible for shipping charges in addition to any applicable rental fees. (but for those of us long distances away, $15 in shipping, total, is a heck of a lot cheaper than the gas to and from), but I would simply schedule the time to come, much more fun!

This might make a good Chat room topic for tonight?

-t

why would we risk it getting lost or broken in the mail when you can go pick it up? Besides, any joe schmo could sign up as a premium member, have it mailed to them and then its gone. If I was a crook, I'd spend $10 to get a $300 piece of equipment.

why would we risk it getting lost or broken in the mail when you can go pick it up? Besides, any joe schmo could sign up as a premium member, have it mailed to them and then its gone. If I was a crook, I'd spend $10 to get a $300 piece of equipment.

mcallahan is out of the group buylaugh.gif

It definitely would be a pain to order a new one, but remember, you have a $350 deposit that you get refunded on return. So run off with it, that's great, you lost the deposit and your $10 bucks and any chance of ever getting help from this group again. Not really the most economically sound theft in the world.

But point taken, mailing may be off the table.

A photo ID and pick up in person would really limit the theft and the need for a large deposit up front. The up front deposit is only for those of us who are forgetful. It's a great reminder when you have $350 tied up until you bring it back.

-t

Sorry folks,

My "real" work got the better of me the last couple days and I spent a little too much time in meeting rooms and airplanes.

Back to what's important.

I am about to update the head of the thread with people who have signed up. When we reach the quorum number (which we may have right now), I will submit the order and then begin collecting funds. Now this may be a little *** backwards, but in general, any new venture requires a little risk. Since the initial use of this thing will only be by the "investing" people, they get to review the initial PDF version of the agreement for "rental and fair use". So all those who pay, will get a vote on how the use of this goes.

Once the initial contributors agree on the paper work, I will post it for others to vote on. Votes will be held on items to amend, with a veto possible with at least 2/3 of the original contributors. Two rounds over 1 week will be held to finish the document.

Once complete, the web reservation application will be brought online (this may be crude at first, but hopefully will flesh out quickly).

The initial use will obviously be reserved for the initial contributors.

It kind of stinks something so beneficial has to be so complicated, but as Callahan so deftly pointed out, there are "Ner'er-Do-Wells" everywhere.

-t

I've updated the contributor list in the original post.

We now have 11 people on board. So I have placed the order. The shipping was free and no tax, so it's $335 total.

Total amount due per person, if no one else joins: $30.45

I will hold the "initial contributor" enrollment until the device arrives. After that, it will be closed.

So that should place it some time around Monday.

-t