OgreMkV

Trust me. Go see this movie. The story line is better than expected. Pay the $14 bucks for the IMAX 3-D version. The cinematography will blow you away. The science (for those of us so inclined) is fascinating.

It is really a stunning movie... by far the best movie I've ever seen.

I did the 3D, but non-IMAX version. I'd go see it again easily, and may just do that to see the IMAX version.

I'm a professional geek and the technology behind the film was what appealed to me the most. The "earth mother is good, but all corporations are evil (except the one that spent $200+ million to make this film, of course)" theme strikes me as a little hypocritical.

ON a scale of 1 to 10:

Technology -- 11 (a la Spinal Tap)

Storyline -- 6

Ability to immerse the viewer -- 8

All that said, I'd still go pay another $14 to watch it again.

I avoided the 3D version... not a fan of the presentation in general.  I thought it was a good movie.  Not too heavy handed on gaia, evil corps, etc. but you get a lot of "humans are superior".  It's one of the few I might actually pick up on blu-ray.

I avoided the 3D version... not a fan of the presentation in general. I thought it was a good movie. Not too heavy handed on gaia, evil corps, etc. but you get a lot of "humans are superior". It's one of the few I might actually pick up on blu-ray.

I would highly recommend seeing the 3D version and making another evaluation of that presentation.

This was simply the best 3D presentation I've ever seen (though I admit to only having seen a few). It was not done to be "in your face" or "ooh! something's coming at you!" It was done to enhance the look of the movie. And it does it in spades. The depth of the picture is simply amazing. :yesnod:

/agree with Chris. The technology has gotten better than the cardboard with blue and red cellophane lenses. Now it's fairly clear optical grade plastic in a one-size-fits-none frame that makes me think of those Groucho Marx glasses sans the nose and crackerduster.

This is a good chance to reaquatint yourself with 3D. As before IMAX is probably the best version.

do you have to wear glasses in the IMAX version? I thought the 3-d was right out of the 50's. The glasses are plastic instead of cardboard but that is the only significant improvement. I got the same old headache I always get with the 3d technology.The story itself was a remake of a Jimmy Stewart movie from the 60's named "Broken Arrow". It had a few new wrinkles but still the same movie. Did they HAVE to make the blue people sound and act like Hollywood Indians? They even used the same bow and arrow technology. That was the most disappointing part. I did like the movie but I think I'll go see the non 3d version with the wife.

The 3D technology in the 50s was blue/red lenses.

then they went to alternate flickering lenses.

Then to polarized lenses.

This is the latest step in polarized lenses, and from what I can tell is by far the best.

The catch seems to be that anyone that has problems with motion sickness is still going to have problems with the 3D movies.

Not sure when/if they'll get past that one...

I am old enough to remember TV going from only black and white to color - a major enhancement. When movies went from VHS or Beta to DVD it was a major enhancement. When TV went to HD, it was another major enhancement. The current 3d technology is NOT a major enhancement, IMHO. It can be distracting cause the 3d sweet spot is so small and the images outside are fuzzy or slightly doubled. Frankly, I think that is why we get headaches. I don't think the current level of 3d technology adds anything major to a movie.