Bubble Algae

labradorduck

If you choose to do it yourself, get a turkey baster. Hold it under water and squeeze the bulb to expel all the air. With the baster pointed at the bubble puncture the bubble with a pin. As you squeeze the bubble suck the contents into the baster. Once done you can pull the bubble skin loose and dispose of it. Don't let the baster leak into the tank or you'll get more bubbles.

Personally I prefer my emerald crabs. Once your bubbles are gone be sure to make sure they have something to eat. Mine will come out from the rocks and take pieces of seaweed from my hand, they're probably one of my tamest critters and I love to see em come charging at me waving their claws for a treat.

So are they hit or miss, or pretty much a sure bet? I am having that issue as well?

This is what I found:

"The Emerald Crab (Mithrax sculptus) is a saltwater invertebrate that is often used as part of a clean up crew in marine fish tanks. They are popular because they help keep the tank clean and have been reported to eat bubble algae (Velonia sp.). Bubble algae can grow under even optimal water conditions and this crab is supposed to help keep the bubble algae population to a minimum. They are a pretty emerald color and stay on the small side, only reaching about 2 inches (5 cm) when fully grown. "

More Info Emeral Crabs

Dave-

Chris, Seriously try the Marine SAT(TLC) it in a live bacteria that basically takes the place of what the bubble algae is growing from in the rock. It eats what the bubble algae is growing from therefore reducing them. Within 1 month with my old take being what i would say infested with them they were gone GONE!!!! i put 2 bottles in at one time.(72 gal bowfrnt) Make sure and get the one for saltwater

Chris, Seriously try the Marine SAT(TLC) it in a live bacteria that basically takes the place of what the bubble algae is growing from in the rock. It eats what the bubble algae is growing from therefore reducing them. Within 1 month with my old take being what i would say infested with them they were gone GONE!!!! i put 2 bottles in at one time.(72 gal bowfrnt) Make sure and get the one for saltwater

Does it affect other "good" algae?

I didn't think that emerald crabs ate bubble algae. Does bubble algae hurt anything? I think its kind of cool looking.

I kinda like it too. The problem becomes when it happens to find a foothold amongst your zoas and palys. Then it will crowd the corals out.

Bill

If you are JUST noticing it, e.g. its only on one rock in one spot. I would make the executive decision and take that rock out. I have found early sacrifice goes a long way toward preventing a full outbreak. The crabs actually spread the spores all around and once they go away the problem will just resurface. Just like cancer you have to take out a lot of good tissue to get all of it.

Edited by barderer