Hi ARC members

teg

Hi everyone, I'm totally new to saltwater, even more scary is that I have never had a freshwater tank either. I got this tank from a friend of mine; the maintenance guy crashed his whole tank so my friend just gave up saltwater. Before getting this tank from my friend, I had no intention of keeping an aquarium, let alone saltwater aquarium; but now I'm glad I got the opportunity to get into this hobby. The tank is custom make it's not rectangular but the rough measurements are 72x21x37; the 37" height really sucks, I can never reach the bottom of the tank with my arm. I started the cycle about 1 month ago, as you can see from the picture the tank is having diatom bloom right now. So I got about 50 snails from Mama few days ago, they seems to love the glass more than the diatom on the rocks and sand :( . I also got Zoas, buttons, urchin, cleaner shrimp and some other stuff from Mama; they all seems to be doing ok. I also got 1 clown in there, that have been there for almost 2 weeks. He seems to be doing fine, last time I checked my water parameters it was 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, ~10 Nitrate, and ~ 7.8 pH. I got those API test kit, so now sure how accurate the readings are on those levels. Everything I got in the tank seems to be doing OK so far (knock on wood).

Here's my setup now, please let me know what you guys think.

~200 gal Tank.

55 gal sump, divided into 3 section, In -> refugium -> return; skimmer placed in the "In" section, got some cheato, calupra and mangrove in the refugium (thank you Reeflover for your macroalgae and live sand)

Two 48" T5 fixture, total 8 bulbs 54w each. I'm planning to get 2 400w Metal halide in future.

Only 1 power head in there right now, waiting for 2 more koralia 4 in the mail.

Sorry for the long post

A lot of times diatoms are caused by the water you are using to make saltwater. Are you using tapwater, or do you have RO/DI?

When I filled up the tank for the first time I used treated tap water, but I have RO/DI filter for future water changes.