koralia 4 too much?

Carrie

Depends on what all you have in ther. I wouldnt think a K4 would be too much in a tank that size. The sps love the flow for sure. You might have a hard time growing softies if they are in the direct current though.

I wouldn't think a k4 is too much flow. I have a k2, k3, and k4 in my 55g, and still have areas without enough circulation (detritus collects there, need one more PH and quite a bit more cleanup crew). One thing to consider, though, is the flow pattern. With a single k4 you'll have 1250gph (I think) of flow, but it'll all be in one direction. There's a term for it that I can't remember, (laminar flow maybe? too much blood in the caffeine stream this morning), but if all of your flow is in one direction that can be stressful for corals. They like turbulent, random flow, so you might be better off adding a second powerhead at the opposite side of the tank pointing at your existing k4 to make the flow more turbulent.

Doktorstick: Yes, it's cumulative

Muddy,

Is it cumulative? For instance, if you have a 400 gph main pump and 2 400 gph circulation pumps, is that a 1200 gph turn-over by your calculation?

Yes, I would try to have between 2200 and 2500 gph in flow for a 75g tank. This should keep everything suspended to the water column and allow it to reach your skimmer to be removed. You should still be able to find lower flow areas for softies.

I have a Koralia 5 (1650gph) on one end of my tank and a Koralia 4 (1200gph) on the other end. It's a 75 gallon, and flow looks good to me. I'm not growing anything particularly difficult yet, but the corals I do have are doing well.

From what I've been reading, most people worry about "flow" in their tank when they really are talking about the velocity of the water moving. They are two different things. If you're worried that the K4 is just too powerful, put some nylon over it, or break up the direct flow with some rock-scaping.

IMO, it's seems better to have too much flow and adjust from there, than not enough :angry:

Unfortunately, the stress from the changing environment was too much for my Foxface Rabbitfish. RIP Rotten Banana. Your awesome personality brightened my tank for the past year!

I unplugged the Koralia for the day until I can figure out how best to set it up without causing too much stress on my fish. I also have a 650 GPH powerhead for water movement and another 500 GPH pump attached to my skimmer.

Wow, that is not much flow at all. The pump on your skimmer isnt going to really count as flow rate. You will need way more than 650gph on a 75, especially if you are going to grow coral. I wouldnt think that the K4 stressed your foxface to the point of death. My guess would be that new flow stirred up some stagnant toxins in your tank. I would keep the K4 plugged in.

Unfortunately, the stress from the changing environment was too much for my Foxface Rabbitfish. RIP Rotten Banana. Your awesome personality brightened my tank for the past year!

I unplugged the Koralia for the day until I can figure out how best to set it up without causing too much stress on my fish. I also have a 650 GPH powerhead for water movement and another 500 GPH pump attached to my skimmer.

Sorry about your fish Carrie. Actually you may be correct but more in an indirect sort of way. The new powerhead may have been the final component to its demise, but not the cause. I agree with everyone else that one K4 definitely would not be too much for your fox face. I have both. What may have very well happened is that your beloved fish was in trouble and it was not evident to you. I have lost two Fox Faces in exactly that same way. They seemed fine one day, the next they were on the outside of my K3 (now K4). Seeing my healthy Fox Face now swimming all around my K4 I realize that they must have been so weak even the relatively small pull of the powerhead was too much for them to overcome, whereas healthy it was nothing. I believe if the extra current was a problem it was because the fish was already in trouble.

Even if the current was a big problem (which I don't believe it is), there should still be ample room for your other fish to stay out of the current. At worst the new powerhead may be showing you that something is already amiss. Good luck.

Bill

I only use a wave box and a mag 12 for return. I have mostly sps and have had great luck without my k4. now I use it to mix kalk in my ato. water movement is defiantly required but blasting corals and fish never seems to work out.