Xenia issues

JEN H

So my husband came back from the LFS about a month ago and decided to bargain for a piece of xenia. He has always wanted this coral....so I couldn't say no. We put it in our 29 gallon biocube and it was doing fine. Starting this week it has started to look a little funky. Not opening up like it used too. There were also two types on the frag we bought and it seems like one of the types looks more shriveled up than the other kind. We moved it from lower in the tank to the top of our rocks so that it is closer to the lighting. We are also making sure that it is in a decent current (we have read mixed ideas on this). Our other corals in the tank are just fine.....so.....not sure if we should be dosing daily with iodide?

We did our water change tonight, and I have convinced my husband to start doing weekly water changes on this tank. We are also in the process of moding our biocube to include a refugium in the stand. I think that we will be putting this together in the next few weeks.

IN the meantime, I would like to see this Xenia healthy again.

You have not had the xenia long enough for it to be settled in. It does not like changes. Plus, when you add the iodine, can you measure the results. If not, use your water change as a source of idione.

When xenia likes where it is it at, it will take over given a chance.

Pat c

While xenia is generally considered a weed, there are rare instances where it just will not grow in a tank. I had this "problem" in my 24g tank. I had a stalk of xenia that grew a little, then receeded and eventually melted away (while everything else was doing great). Now in my 75g, it has been growing very weed-like. I need to get in there and do some pruning soon.

One thing on the Xenia. It is a very good indicator of PH. I have noticed that if I ever let my PH drop below 8 my xenia shrivels up almost immediately. Anything below 8.2 and it stops "pumping." You might want to check your water parameters?

Thanks Zara! That's a very helpful tip. I'll have to keep a closer watch on my xenia for that.