Finally starting a reef tank!

dirkgent001

Hello Everybody,

I'm Orlando from Manor, been lurking these forums off and on for maybe 2 years now? I've been keeping freshwater tanks for several years and been wanting to take the plunge into reefs for a while. I even started gathering equipment, supplies, but then had second thoughts and didn't do it yet. This time, I decided to do it, and start small. I'll be starting a 5.5gallon or 10 gallon nano soon. I'm still unsure if I want to convert one of my existing tanks into reef, or just buy a new tank.

If I do a 10g, I'll be using a 24" CAD Lights T5 4x14watt fixture, if I do a 5.5g, then I'll likely just use 2 of the coralife 50/50 screw type bulbs.

I made a bunch of agrocrete way back when, so I'll be using that as my base rock and buy some live rock to seed it. I've got an Aquaclear 110 HOB filter I'll be modding into a fuge.

I know going smaller is harder, but I only plan on keeping some softies and clean up crew, no fish.

That being said, if anybody has some small quantaties of live rock rubble/small pieces they can part with, I'll be looking to buy soon.

Thanks,

Orlando

Orlando-

Congrats on starting into a great hobby and into great community here at arc.

Id recommend one thing right off the bat- get a bigger tank to start with. Why? Bigger tanks are actually easier to maintain which means less frustration and headaches getting started.

Im saying get a HUGE tank, bit I'd recommend at least a 30g setup, 55g of you can swing it. There are usually lot of 55g tanks around that you can find for cheap and I'm happy to help you get started.

Oh, and bookmark ARC as you are now part of a great reefkeeping community right here in your back yard.

+1 to the above. Welcome.

From personal experience. My 90G tank is easier to take care of than my "starter" tank which was a 24G. Its very difficult to keep a tank under 45G or so in the right parameters. Not saying it isn't possible, just more difficult. Also, oddly enough, my 90 has cost me less in hardware than the 24G did.

Welcome to the addiction!

I second (third, fourth?) - get a bigger tank. I started with a 29. By the time you get all the equipment you'll want to make your life easier you'll have been better of spending it on a larger tank setup. I would say at least 50g. Everyone starts with softies but then you just want more, more, more, and you won't have room for them.

A nano is great for a trophy ore exotic little guy that you want to have his own private space.

Welcome Orlando.... I am new to ARC just joined today!! Mama turned me onto it after I found her wonderful critters for sale on CL.... I hope to learn lots on here and it seems like this place is a wonderful network of friends and people!!!! Hello EVERYONE!!!