Salt Recommendation

Jurgy

I browsed around and couldn't find a topic already started on this.

I'm just about finished up with my bucket of Kent salt and maybe looking to switch to something different. I've used Instant Ocean in the past and now I've been using Kent for the past year. Have any of you used something different or like one in particular?

Thanks in advance

I use the red sea coral pro myself, it mixes fast and i like the calcium i get from it. it pretty much always mixes the same levels. lots of people a few years ago had problems with it being inconstant depending on the bucket. I haven't seen any post in a wile mentioning it besides people that had the problem and haven't tried it since. I have used a couple different ones and like the red sea best. its very readily available at RCA too and its a good price compared to most the shipping costs most places charge.

Seachem Reef for 5 years. Never had a problem. Mixes fast, mixes clean. Most comparison sites say it is about the closest to ideal there is. Many others have high levels of such and such but Seachem Reef seems to be right around NSW, except some tests have said it was lower on MG, but most all salt mixes are.

What a response... A lot of you like the red sea pro quite a bit. I might have to try their small box to see how it goes. I was thinking maybe the reef crystals but it doesn't seem like a good choice.

I think a poll would be cool for this topic, don't know how to start one. For the guys that are using red sea pro, do you see yourself dosing a lot between water changes. Meaning calcium/magnesium/iodine etc.?

I use red sea as well but have been one of the people hit in a bad batch they put out. There is just a lot of silt particulate that comes out of it. I have seen a few other people complain about it online. Doesn't seem to effect the water badly, just kinda coats my mixing pump and container. I'm thinking about switching to reef crystals after hearing a lot of good from that side of the fence.

IThere is just a lot of silt particulate that comes out of it.

The particulates are due to the drying process. It is my understanding that the salt is obtained naturally for the Red Sea in Israel. The silt is ocean mud. I just filter it throuhg a sock when doing a water change.