LED T5 Lighting, check it out!

mFrame

The vendor has offered to send me several bulb lengths, colors, and drives so that we can test them out and evaluate their usefulness as reef lighting, thank you ReLED.

I will generate a thread when they arrive and I would like to do a tank build from ground up so that we can watch the health of a few animals over the course of a few months. They are just as excited about this possibility as we are.

I must admit straight up that I am frugal. As with anything new, there will be an elevated price for an extended period of time. I resisted T5 because I saw little advantage over VHO and in my opinion I have not seen a better Actinic than the Super Actinic manufactured by URI. If these LED/flourescent retrofit eliminates heat then it is indeed a worthwhile improvement that I would pay for. I have continued to resist expensive chillers in favor of evaporative cooling.

I hope you'll enjoy the bulb.

Pat

Props to caferacermike for thinking of contacting and testing out. With elimination of heat and reducing frequency of replacement costs I think this would be awesome. Please do create the thread, I'd love to follow it and am open to testing them in my t5 fixture should you need another guinea pig.

I would like to to get in line if there is any additional testing needed as well. I have T5s both over the tank and my refuge.

Mike, great job of thinking to contact them.

Anyone know what the price will be, I didn't see anything when I looked at the web site.

Stephen

The vendor has offered to send me several bulb lengths, colors, and drives so that we can test them out and evaluate their usefulness as reef lighting, thank you ReLED.

I will generate a thread when they arrive and I would like to do a tank build from ground up so that we can watch the health of a few animals over the course of a few months. They are just as excited about this possibility as we are.

very cool.gif

It appears each bulb/tube (at least the 4 footer) will be about $180 - $190. According to their own calculator it would take 5 - 6 years to break even - after the savings. That seems a little high to me. You generally strive to break even on stuff like this in about 3 years or less.

Stephen

Yes, it would be interesting to see how they calculate savings. Is it just bulb replacement, electricity, etc. For us, not generating the heat is a definite savings for us, but may not be in there calculator.

Stephen

Reefman not sure what price point you used but I was quoted $100 per tube with a possible bulk rate discount.

The ones from Hero lights are using a non focused low watt LED. The LED bulbs being used in the ReLED are a truly focused high output LED.

Feel free to bring your 6 LED flashlights over to compare to my single 7w bulb LED SureFire Police/Military and Pelican 7060 flashlights using concentrated beam technologies. There is a huge difference between the quality.

Edited by caferacermike

Leds have always interested me. I am gonna be anxiously watchin to see how this turns out. Maybe hero lights could send a bulb to compare. Anyways this would be nice as eventually(as they produce different colors) you could mix and match as many people do with t5s now.