reverse osmosis opinions

lewk

Well, I'm already getting tired of heading to Aquatek every time I need to get RO/DI water and would like to get something at the house. But, being pretty new to all this, anyone have some advice on what to look out for with RO/DI units? So far all I've really heard is to get one with standard size cylinders and maybe that clear cylinders are better to keep an eye on filter life. There are lots of cheap options on eBay (surprise surprise), and was looking at some sold from costreef, like this one. 100 GPD, and under 100 bux shipped. Would something like this work, and would I need anything else to get it running? Thanks in advance.

That one looks ok. Ideally you'd want the DI cartridge upright and that one could probably be flipped with just some mounting brackets and extra tubing.

As you've seen, most of the systems sold have a standard sized housing so getting decent filters and membranes would be easy. Most of the ebay ones use cheaper membranes and filters. You could get one and use it for a while then buy good internals from someone like Bulk Reef Supply or Buckeye Field Supply.

What I did, and recommend, is to get a good one from one of the above or melevsreef and be done with it in one swoop. Yes, it will cost a bit more but you won't have to upgrade in 3-6 months.

I got the BFS 75GPD Premium system and couldn't be happier. It's the best deal out there, IMO, for a ready to go unit.

Whatever unit you purchase, be sure to add a TDS meter on either side of the membrane so you can monitor your water quality and membrane life. I assembled a nice rig through Bulk Reef Supply. Adding a booster pump is definitely a plus as it will cut production time significantly and ensure a good rejection rate from the membrane.

photo.jpg

IF... i needed to put a booster pump to get the pressure up what could i use? im getting my 6 stage RO/DI friday and the pressure coming in the house was like 80psi a year ago when i had a whole house water purification put in. they re-plumbed the water coming outta the meter from 3/4" to 1 1/4" line.

Posted Today, 02:16 AM

Mike I don't mean to be nosy but what that "nice rig" set you back?

Ric J.

Well, honestly, I can't remember. I think booster pumps are around $120, the tank was $120, the RO gear itself along with the second membrane I added not shown in picture was probably another $250 worth of membranes and stuff. That said, I have a 15 gallon RO water tank and the 70 gallon saltwater mixing/holding tank. I added the RANCO controller and a couple of Rainbow Lifegaurd heaters to let me perform water changes during the winter without freezing the tank. I got a little nutty with the whole thing, but it was a fun project and I like the result. I do all my tank water husbandry on the weekend, and I always am able to produce all the water I need using the booster pump and mixing station. It has been great to be able to have mixed, stabilized, and standardized salt water for little 5 and 10 gallon changes. These are gentle on the system and help replenish trace elements.

I run my booster pump at 80 PSI. If you have 80 psi coming in to your RO system, you will be absolutely golden. My house line pressure is like 50psi. The RO membrane's rejection rate is not acceptable at 50PSI, below 90% if memory serves, but running with the pump at 80PSI, I get like 96%. You can measure stuff like this using a dual TDS meter on either side of the membrane. There is a good calculator of rejection rate on the spectrapure site. Sounds like you are gonna be able to keep your system simple.

I don't believe there is a tremendous difference for us here in Central Tx with the 4 and five stage units. Your membrane and your supply line pressure and the use of DI resin will make for an efficient system. To get 0 TDS water out of my system, I do run it through DI resin after the membrane. This is the finishing step to go from TDS of 3-4 to TDS=0 on my rig. I guess I am running a 5-6 stage deal, but I have received advice that my prefiltration is excessive and it would hurt my efficiency if I wasn't running a booster pump.

As with all this stuff, there isn't just one way to the goal. 0 TDS water is the goal. You can likely get it with a 4 stage as long as one of the stages is a post membran DI resin cartridge. It is smart to prefilter down of .5 micron just so you don't clog your RO membrane though.

Robb,

You are exactly right...0 TDS is the goal. You are getting it with your four stage. You don't need anything else unless you want to increase production rate or water waste efficiency. It was those two reasons that caused me to add the booster pump and the second membrane which is not shown in the photo above. The waste off the first membrane is shunted through the second membrane so the supply water has two chances to produce RO water before it runs out to water my yard. Less waste and more RO water in the tank faster...that was the point of my tweaks on my system. Your four stage is in fact all you need.

This unit sits in my garage so, during our three days of winter, my water gets really, really cold. Since we go to all this trouble to keep our SPS tanks stable, I put the heated recirculation unit on to run a couple of 300W heaters on the tank so that I wouldn't be putting 50 or 45 degree water into my sump when I do a water change. The RANCO is a temp controller. It was laying around from my Aqualogic days when chillers didn't come with built in temp controllers. The TUNZE chiller I currently run has built in temp control and heater circuit!

The stand is made of wood. I am a long time, well life long, wood butcher and I love little projects like this. I think that is why I enjoy reef keeping so much is all the little projects I get to do along the way. I love building hoods and racks and cabinets for my system. Right now I am working on a cabinet to host a new Apex controller and my Kalk reactor. I have been using a bunch of intermatic timers and what not to control my system, but they are very bulky and I am working on stream lining my rig so that I can make a very minimal bulk maximal functionality install of a 180 gallon system next year.

Edited by Mike M.

Anybody that wants to come over and visit is welcome. I am happy to play reef tank any Friday afternoon as it is my "personal development day". I usually train retrievers until noon or two o'clock but I am back from the country side in the afternoon. My setup isn't out of control yet so I don't have anything really wowing to show at this point.

well i have the corallife RO unit. you really dont need the DI atleast from what i have been told. i dont use one and have no algae problems and i have 0 TDS from my output. i have the 25gpd unit with the 75gpd membrane and flow re stricter. works great gives me all the water i need.. ebay sells them for pretty cheap to with free shipping. i saw one for 84.00 6 stage it was umm costreef i just looked. and its 91.00 now w/ free shipping.