New to ARC

LRStar

Afternoon everyone!

I am new to austin, and i am also new to salt water tanks. I currently have a Biocube 29, stocked up with about 30 lbs of mature LR. We have just introduced our first shrimp, a fire shrimp named Chili. :-)

My wife and I are really excited about working on our own little "reef"! We have spent hours and hours researching everything we can, before we started, so hopefully casualties will be limited...

Here's a photo of our tank.

post-973-12464704622835_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone! We really got lucky with this LR. It came out of a very mature tank, that got broken down. It does appear to have some possible Aiptasia but we are letting it grow just a bit to verify, its just a bit to small for us to get a good look at.

I know everyone (everywhere else that is) says Crushed Coral is bad... but to be honest with you guys, we didn't even read about substrates. We just assumed it was all good, no matter what you went with. We figured since the fellas over at RiverCity had it on the floor, it was good to go. So im going to do my best to deal with that decision... and keep it clean as i can.

Crushed Coral isnt bad, people say that it bad for housing Diatoms, i have crushed coral and i dont have a problem with it, starting out i had a small diatoms issue but its known to happen with new setups its part of the many cycles the tank will go through. but again not really any problems... welcome to ARC

Welcome! ;)

I am a big fan of the "cove" look to live rock landscaping.

Regarding the crushed coral. One limitation you might hit down the road is keeping any sand dwelling fish (such as jawfish). The crushed coral would be too abrasive for them.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the info. I really hadn't thought of jawfish... but a very good point. We will be getting a watchman/pistol combo, so since they are kinda the same, do you think i will have a problem with that?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been researching these (pistol/watchman) and ran across a post somewhere where someone had the same issue as you with a great solution. They made fake caves under thier live rock in 2 places on a 90G reef with 2" pvc. Filled up the PVC with sand with a "overflow" of the sand on top of it to cover. Supposedly the watchman/shrimp went straight for one of them and made it thier own little home. Haven't tried it myself but looks like it should work.