280 gallon Build

SAM

How long did you have the tank sit in the garage for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just count the number of days it takes Sam to respond back to you and that would be how many months total it sat in his garage and in Don's storage unit. [emoji16]

How long did you have the tank sit in the garage for?

probably a year or so [emoji52]

had too many life events during that time including a new born who is now 2yrs old and a new job.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

for some reason the tapatalk is no longer giving me alert!?!? I literally have to check in myself to see any updates lol

• Like 1

for some reason the tapatalk is no longer giving me alert!?!? I literally have to check in myself to see any updates lol

Aw dang! You made a liar out of me Sam! I figured you wouldn't respond for 2 weeks!
  • Like 1

Good to know. Hoping my own tank will survive for a year in the garage while we wait to move. Man I can’t wait to see this build keep going. What will you be choosing for rock and sand?

Good to know. Hoping my own tank will survive for a year in the garage while we wait to move. Man I can’t wait to see this build keep going. What will you be choosing for rock and sand?

same rock and sand from my old tank actually, might need to top off some more rock though. I'm gonna really do a better rockscape this time around so Seth won't laugh at my fruit stand lol

• Like 1

same rock and sand from my old tank actually, might need to top off some more rock though. I'm gonna really do a better rockscape this time around so Seth won't laugh at my fruit stand lol

IT’S ALIIIIIIIIVVVVVVEEEE!!!!!

Looks great so far Sam. Can’t wait to see it rocking with sticks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more update:

Plumbed and finished installing the return plumbing this weekend.  Ordered some more parts online that's coming in this week.  Then I'll be finished plumbing the frag tank into the system.  The last part of plumbing will be the ocean motion <-- a bit tricky since I have not figure out the variance sequence of the ocean motion lol.  BTW, am I the only person having trouble logging in from tapatalk???  

20180422_150639.jpg20180422_152808.jpg20180422_152827.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally Done with plumbing in the ocean motion & the chiller.  

Next is Water Leak test.....keeping finger cross.  

Then its onto plumbing in the RODI system & water change system.

Once all and done, it'll be aquascape!!!!!  <-- this time I will spend more than 1 hr on it lol and I promise not a fruit stand!!!!

20180520_150858.jpg20180520_150906.jpg20180513_184611.jpg20180520_171638.jpg20180520_171618.jpg20180520_171625.jpg

20180513_184535.jpg

20180513_184557.jpg

• Like 3

I'm certainly not an engineer capable of making an educated statement here, but does plumbing a chiller like that (off the return pump returning to the same line) cause pressure problems or rob flow from the return if you have to increase the line pressure with the valve between the skimmer inlet/outlet?

• Like 1

I'm certainly not an engineer capable of making an educated statement here, but does plumbing a chiller like that (off the return pump returning to the same line) cause pressure problems or rob flow from the return if you have to increase the line pressure with the valve between the skimmer inlet/outlet?
good question, I had the same question and concern myself. after consulting with Seth and Jim, we felt the pump is strong enough to handle it. maybe Seth or Jim can chime in and give a better explanation.

I dont see a problem with the chiller plumbing, unless the pump is under powered. I think once you have the return set so some water goes thru the chiller at all times the pressure out of that line should remain constant as long as you dont mess with the ball valves. Disclaimer: Im just a hack

3 hours ago, Gig 'em @ NDstructible said:

Someone break out their fluid dynamics text book! Let's see some equations here 😄

LOL!  Have literally sat across from him as he asked me what I know about fluid dynamics so he knows how much to dumb down the rest of the conversation for me. 😆🤣

• Like 1

I dislike y'all for me having to explain myself.....

could you find a more abstract 11 year old Thesis from the technology university in Bangladesh.....

considering sam is running a hammerhead or manta ray or something like that flow reduction is about equlivent of taking a cup of water out of a pool.....

pentair says ten of thousand pools installed with bypass loops is fine, Including mine.

The risk management and logistics of installing a 3rd pump to run the chiller thru wall is a waste of time when there is basically a small pool pump running your reef tank.

make sure to notice gallon per hour in the diagram is in gallons per minute not gallons per hour.

image.png

• Like 3

I could absolutely find thesis more abstract than your wildest dreams. Ur just jealous you didnt get in to bangladeshi tech U to study 45 degree elbow flow...

http://amchiller.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Dry-Cleaning-Chillers-Installation-Bypass-Loop-1402-01.pdf

http://daytonashrae.org/downloads/presentations/ASHRAE_YEA_091409.pdf

This white paper brings up an interesting point about using a chiller in this fashion, namely "chiller starvation":

"The chiller will starve for flow causing the water temperature to be very cold coming out of the chiller but at a reduced flow that will cause the loop temperature to swing wildly between cold and hot! The purpose of the flowing loop has been defeated and the chiller can not maintain the reservoir and loop temperature at an even temperature."

There is a surprising amount of literature out there about this topic. They almost all do it in really complicated ways...

Remember it's always best to over complicate the matter to straight jacket proportions when it's a moot point :).   I honestly don't think the chiller will ever be needed and was probably a waste of time plumbing in.  Should it actually be needed and actually have a problem with flow then it can be revisited on a theoretical and experimental level.