Sps food

mdavis735

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Potentially so since Reburn had no issues either and was running UV as well.

I consider cyano as temporary anyways and not an issue. It'll go away with time. Are you taking pictures of the corals to document the color change?

Nah, it disappeared after a week or so, I just stopped dosing until it went away and then resumed at a lower pace

I also ran a little GFO to reduce the phosphates, so that could have helped as well (down from 99ppb to 19ppb)

I tried running GFO in my filter sock but the bubbles and the high amount of water going through the sock made the display tank cloudy and caused the gfo granuals to get out of the sock and into the sump water. Yesterday I had the great idea to put gfo inside a media bag and then put that in the filter sock. The water is crystal clear again and the GFO is being tumbled around in there in a way that should allow it to absorb nutrients. This is much better than when I had it in a media bag in the sump baffles because water was not being forced through it.

Y'all guys know cyano can fix its own nitrogen right. I.e. It can make its own food. It really just needs p04. I'm a big fan of chemiclean to kick cyano in the face.

I prefer to use chemiclean as well but I see it as more of a punch in the mouth. [emoji12]

Man I have put close to half the liter of solution. Still have undetectable nitrate. I figured it was the API test kit. Ordered a salifert test. Got it today and the color doesn't even change at all. Guess I have enough bacteria to consume nitrate?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh yeah, definitely don't use a API test for nitrate, terrible accuracy! I'm surprised the Salifert kit is saying the same thing. That's the only thing I can think of is the cyano and bacteria are just sucking it right up!

I started dosing KNO3 last week, it seems to be consumed within 1-2 days. I haven't seen any changes so far, the sand bed patches of cyano surprisingly have stayed the same. I'm assuming most of it is being consumed by the bacteria in the tank. Like my soil microbiology professor said years ago about fertilizing soil, you fertilize enough to feed the bacteria and what ever is left over is what the plants will consume. He said something like 80-90% of fertilizer thrown in the ground is consumed by the bacteria, I can imagine it's a similar situation in our tanks.

On 1/19/2017 at 5:54 PM, FarmerTy said:

Oh yeah, definitely don't use a API test for nitrate, terrible accuracy! I'm surprised the Salifert kit is saying the same thing. That's the only thing I can think of is the cyano and bacteria are just sucking it right up!

I dunno, api nitrate test kit is w/i 5 most of the time, just have to make sure you use the card that came w/ it and white light, not warm light.    api calcium is actually remarkably accurate.. much cheaper than redsea/hanna (i have all 3 in calcium).  phosphate is a joke w/ anything but hanna.

Archived