Sps food

mdavis735

That's crazy! I just dosed mine right up to 5 ppm from zero and walked away. No repercussions!

I wonder if everyone should take a slower approach like Jestep is doing? Perhaps my oversized UV sterilizer negated any algal blooms inn my tank when I dosed up quickly?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started dosing spectracidestump 2 weeks ago and been testing everyday on my 75g. For me, 5ml of solution raises no3 by 1ppm, so every 4 days ive been adding 20ml with no issues.

What concentration of solution are you using?

Ok, my phosphates were kind of high at the time I began dosing too, so maybe that caused the algae bloom. I believe they were something like 19 or 20 on the Hanna ULR meter.

EDIT: phosphates are around 19 or 20 ppb *now* (0.02 ppm), at that time they were more like 99 ppb (0.1ppm)

I'm gonna be a guinea pig and test Ty's theory. I'm gonna put 10 grams of stump remover in one liter of rodi. I'm gonna dose the whole 5-6 oz at one time. Then grit my teeth and hope for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm gonna be a guinea pig and test Ty's theory. I'm gonna put 10 grams of stump remover in one liter of rodi. I'm gonna dose the whole 5-6 oz at one time. Then grit my teeth and hope for the best.

Well its a working theory on my tank but the giant 114-watt UV sterlizer may have something to do with that.

I do enjoy my experiments though so looking forward to your results.

Keep in mind I still advocate having as low of a phosphate level as you can. Mine is always around 0.03 ppm.

Okie dokie. 1:45 pm I poured in 3/4 of a cup. That should be 6 oz. Mixed per Farmer Ty the Science Guy's instructions. Maybe I won't need to start biopellets to recover from this.

Jolt, how long did this algae bloom take to begin? I dosed 6 oz yesterday and they nitrate showed 2-2.5 a couple hours later. This morning they showed zero again. So I added 3 oz more. I'm gonna wait a few days before I do anything else. Other than testing. I'm just curious how soon the green water showed up.

I just put 2 tbsps into a clear plastic cup and filled RODI to the 1st line. Not scientific, but following the reef2reef OP's procedure as he has a similar 80g volume.

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/potassium-nitrate-spectracide-stump-remover-dosing-steps.215730/

I started dosing spectracidestump 2 weeks ago and been testing everyday on my 75g. For me, 5ml of solution raises no3 by 1ppm, so every 4 days ive been adding 20ml with no issues.

What concentration of solution are you using?

Wow! That cyano bloom came up in just the last couple days since you've dosed nitrates?

Maybe everyone should boycott my advice! I dosed up to 5ppm in a day and left it there with no repercussions. I figured it would be the same for everyone else!

Archived