DSA 105 Gallon; Our Small Slice of Ocean

rosslonghorns

Looks good! Props for taking on the electrical work yourself - it's one of the things I really don't like to do.

Yes, it was overwhelming once you start messing with the breaker box! The wife was originally ticked by the holes in wall but once box / cover plate installed, it looks like it was installed day 1.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some more progress...

Power washed the two new rock structures and starting them curing in a bin...I plan to run them in bin for ~20-30 days and then transfer into the tank where I will run for another 20-30 days. After that time, if all is well will transfer over the rock structure from 30 gallon and inhabitants. I only plan to take a cup full of sand from the 30 gallon.

That said, gives me ~20-30 days to get the tank in place, plumbed, sand in and filled up with water. I have a few items I need to finish prior to getting the tank in place: (1) finish mount for Ocean Revive units and (2) get RO/DI water tank.

For the RO/DI water tank, I'm thinking about going with 35 gallon one from Tractor Supply Company: http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/leg-style-storage-tank-35-gal?cm_vc=-10005

post-777-0-73794300-1483565323_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time today to work on plumbing. All the overflow pieces are done and dry fit the under tank to sump portion.

The overflow is using bean animal setup and is left to right: 3/4" return, 1" emergency drain, 1" main full siphon drain and 3/4" secondary drain.

For under the tank to sump I plan to glue tomorrow after work. Let me know if you see any obvious items that aren't right. For the time being the left emergency drain has T fittings but those will be replaced with 90's as I didn't have them!6007b703c63534e5a2b1e96d58fa753d.jpg6a931150890e0d16b5ad8a59d65ca577.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the final items before I can glue everything is getting this tank level. The rear side against wall needs to be raised the thickness of a credit card. Shims won't work due to wall. Trying to get ideas of material I could use to put under stand to compensate for that thickness.

I would suggest a credit card. :whistle:

As obvious as it is - I don't have enough cards and looking for something that is a single piece instead of 15 of them. The intention was to have something that is the length of tank, 48", to cover the full span. I was hoping to just tilt stand/tank to be able to slide it under.

My first thought was a piece of acrylic but too thick. I'm racking my brain as I want something durable and not breakdown with any spills / water getting under stand.

I may walk around lost in Home Depot and see if anything pops out - maybe something in kitchen area that is thinner like cutting board or non skid cabinet liners.

House siding

Yoga mat

A couple of slats from Venetian blinds

Yardstick (might be too thick?)

Gotta say though, if it's only the thickness of a credit card, I don't see that as a problem. My tank is off a tiny bit, but it's also not rimless like yours is. If it bothers you now, it will bother you forever, so fix it up!

On 1/17/2017 at 9:00 PM, BobcatReefer said:

House siding

Yoga mat

A couple of slats from Venetian blinds

Yardstick (might be too thick?)

Gotta say though, if it's only the thickness of a credit card, I don't see that as a problem. My tank is off a tiny bit, but it's also not rimless like yours is. If it bothers you now, it will bother you forever, so fix it up!

I went around Lowes today and found some aluminum L that was perfect thickness to slide under the back of tank.  I was also able to finish gluing the plumbing for sump and quick leak test on the bulk heads.  I also drilled and attached float valve to the water tank and have had RO/DI running since.  I will need a few days of running to get all the water needed to fill tank.

The plan tomorrow is to rinse sand and get it into the tank along with starting to fill it up.

Busy morning to get as much done as possible before the football games.

Sand rinsed and put into tank. Started trying to route wires and mount strip, Tunze controllers and Skimz DC controller.

Almost 1/2 of tank filled at this point.

a833fd1ec7ac70d703e2b24cd18ff6d8.jpg6641e7fc64c814e347333f0a36beb753.jpg

I do have a question on DI lifetime. My old DI canister was almost spent so after research, decided to add a second canister to maximize usage. When adding second, added a new DI cartridge and after filling the tank halfway it is 1/3 spent (color changing). I'd say it has made 50 gallons. Is this usage about right?

The incoming TDS is 4-5ppm. The tap water input is ~225ppm and with 98% reject rate for RO is around 4-5ppm. So RO is working as expected.

something isn't right.  I have 250 coming into the membranes 1-2 going out.  One DI resin cartridge usually lasts me about 400 gallons.

And/Or

A). The membranes are shot.  This can happen as early as 6 months.  A year or 2 is more normal.

B). The co2 ppm coming in is extremely high and you need a de-gassing tank.

C). The water municipality your on is running chloramines and you don't have enough carbon.  You need 20 minutes of contact time to scrub out chloramines.

D). The input pressure is too low.  50psi is minimum, 70-80 ideal, 90-100 getting too high.

On 1/22/2017 at 8:01 PM, Reburn said:

something isn't right.  I have 250 coming into the membranes 1-2 going out.  One DI resin cartridge usually lasts me about 400 gallons.

And/Or

A). The membranes are shot.  This can happen as early as 6 months.  A year or 2 is more normal.

B). The co2 ppm coming in is extremely high and you need a de-gassing tank.

C). The water municipality your on is running chloramines and you don't have enough carbon.  You need 20 minutes of contact time to scrub out chloramines.

D). The input pressure is too low.  50psi is minimum, 70-80 ideal, 90-100 getting too high.

I'm leaning towards a carbon filter block shot.  I don't have a pressure gauge.

I did have some replacement sediment and carbon filters so went ahead and replaced them.  I also switched out one of the DI resins I knew was completed.  I will do a better job of tracking age and gallons through the new DI to determine if still experiencing the issue.

Archived