New Here Too

smcjunkins@gmail.com

Hello everybody. I met a couple cool guys at River City Aquatics last night and they told me to sign up, so here I am. I've had Salt Water fish for several years, but bought my first 2 polyps yesterday, so I'm sure there will be questions to follow...

Glad you decided to join! Welcome!

Good to see you joined. Let me know if you have any more questions about keeping bubble tip anemones (BTAs)

I DO have a question. I got a small GBTA, temp acclimated him, then turned off the stronger of my 2 circ pumps and gently wedged him between two rocks in a low current area. He attached quickly and after 30 min I turned my circ back on. He has now moved inward away from the light, "Toward The Dark Side". The light has been on the whole time and he is now tucked almost completely underneath a rock, and the light will be going off shortly. I know it's very early, and I'm not concerned so much as wondering is there any steps I should take to help him. -- {60g tank, 6 small fish, ocellaris (who I got the GBTA for) all reef friendly}. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Good to see you joined. Let me know if you have any more questions about keeping bubble tip anemones (BTAs)

I DO have a question. I got a small GBTA, temp acclimated him, then turned off the stronger of my 2 circ pumps and gently wedged him between two rocks in a low current area. He attached quickly and after 30 min I turned my circ back on. He has now moved inward away from the light, "Toward The Dark Side". The light has been on the whole time and he is now tucked almost completely underneath a rock, and the light will be going off shortly. I know it's very early, and I'm not concerned so much as wondering is there any steps I should take to help him. -- {60g tank, 6 small fish, ocellaris (who I got the GBTA for) all reef friendly}. Thanks in advance for any advice.
BTA's prefer to have their foot in a dark cave or behind the rocks and then reach out to soak up the light. I'm sure your BTA is just getting settled. Give it a little time and once its comfortable, it'll start expanding out from the shadows.

What Ty said is spot on. BTAs knee their foot deep in rock crevices so they can pull themselves in if attacked or threatened. With BTAs it's best to place them away from a power head and in a spot you think they'll be happy and just hope they don't move. BTAs are definitely prone to wandering if they aren't happy or want better flow, better light, etc. generally I let them move to where they're happiest (as long as it isn't on top of a nice coral) and I make sure I keep them away from pumps. Anemones will get sucked into pumps and shredded up if they get too close. Just keep an eye on it when it moves and keep the flow of he tank normal while it's doing so so it can find a place it will likely stay at.

Oh no, now you've gone and done it. You've gotten into coral *and* you met Dan and Ty .... JK!

Welcome to the club :)

Seriously though....

Welcome aboard! ARC is full of some of the most helpful guys and gals around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, So the anemone has been flourishing. I've had him for a little over two weeks and I have target fed him a couple times and is doing well. Then this morning when I woke up he is tucked back and deflated, and has been that way all day. Is this a bad sign and is there anything I should do? Thanks.

Archived