Importance of a UPS...

Isaac

In the last hour, I'm at 7 surge/brownouts and 4 power failures (about 5 mins each). Those brownouts are REALLY bad on any mechanical item, which includes pumps, relays, switches. Not to mention ballasts. Power bricks are ok w/ them for short spurts. Anything with smaller more inticate boards... well.. thats the expensive stuff, why risk it.... leds lights, controllers, etc.

If you dont have a UPS, get one :)

make that 8 brownouts.

This is one of the first things that went on the 12G cube we have. I had spares sitting around because I'm a computer guy.

An important aspect of the selection is knowing how much power your system consumes. Properly selecting a battery backup that can keep your system going for an extended period of time without main power is key.

Do the apex controllers sense when wall power is lost and allow switching to a lower power consumption mode? Like, maybe turn all the lights off, and the protein skimmer, and back the pump off to about 10% so it's only running oxygen through the system and not really consuming a lot of battery power. I would imagine the controllers can do this but I just wanted to ask.

This won't help with any electrical surges, but getting a couple $6 battery back up air pumps will take care of any oxygen concerns in a power outage. One for the tank and one for the sump and you're covered. They plug in and turn on by themselves when the power goes out. Mine have run for almost a full week on a couple of D batteries. I can't imagine a reason to not have them.

If you get a UPS and run an Apex or other controller off it, do yourself a favor and get one that generates a true sine wave. They aren't that much more expensive.

Also, many of the newer pumps have the ability to have back up batteries. I have 1 backup for each of my Gyres. Supposedly they can run something like 16 hours on it.

This won't help with any electrical surges, but getting a couple $6 battery back up air pumps will take care of any oxygen concerns in a power outage. One for the tank and one for the sump and you're covered. They plug in and turn on by themselves when the power goes out. Mine have run for almost a full week on a couple of D batteries. I can't imagine a reason to not have them.

Do you have a link for the ones you use?

Anyone have any ups recommendations?

APC is the way to go, dont fall for the modified sine crap. speaking of which, I just picked up an APC Backups 1500 from office max for $99 (down from 200). looks like office depot/max is discounting older APC models. (btw, I use an APC smartups 2200 on the tank). re: apex controller... it wont automatically detect power outage, however you can plug in a 12v power brick to the aux power port... this is used to monitor power outtages. so.. my ups is huge, i can get 2hrs on full power... after about 30 mins, the apex starts shutting down stuff, lights, uv, etc... leaving only core essentials to last as long as possible.

If Power Apex OFF MMM Then ON/OFF/Profile

yup, 1431/183a store. I've never known office depot/max to show UPS discounts online... i walk in there monthly to check... can never have too many UPSs.

The more expensive models can hook up to a computer and be used to notify you when the power drops.... you'd probably also have to have internet to get the message out unless you had a computer that is set up with a 3g/LTE card in it.

Do you have a link for the ones you use?

Anyone have any ups recommendations?

Kim and I have been evaluating several different brands and the Penn Plax B11 battery operated air pump performs very well and is very inexpensive. It always turns on when power is lost and runs days on just a couple "D" cell batteries. Several others we looked at either didn't last very long on batteries or wouldn't consistently turn on when power was lost.

While an UPS is ideal for saving equipment in brownouts and for surge protection my experience is they will only run equipment a few hours. I would definitely use a battery operated air pump along with an UPS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I plugged only the air stones into the battery port on my UPS.... that way when the power drops I have a ton of run time powering just the air pumps. Everything else shuts off.... and I did get to "test" this the other day when someone hit a pole by my house.

Archived