54g Red Sea Reefer Series

Brooks

Hanging was a little tricky only because I didn't have a big enough drill bit for the holes, So that took a bit to make them big enough using a smaller bit.

Otherwise I used my same 1x4 mount in the ceiling and toggle bolts that came with the fixtures.

IMG_4812.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

I've still got some leveling to do, and toying with bulb combos, but overall the lights are VERY bright and vibrant. It gives the tank a very crisp clean look compared to the Build My Leds.

IMG_4814.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

When you run the demo mode, it shows you tons of combos of LED you can use, Endless possibilities! I'm exited to see what comes!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guy at Home Depot suggested I screw a 1x4 to the beams in the ceiling and then mounting the hanging equipment to the 1x4. This was the weight is distributed more evenly and the wood can be extremely sturdy on the ceiling.

Beam.jpg

Nice!

I'm not near handy enough to any of that, LOL! I need to hire a handyman!

New ATI Fixture & Bulbs came in today. And of course, they forgot to include the hanging kit.

I have an extra

Fortunately BRS is sending a 10' kit overnight, free of charge.

Thank you for the offer sir!

Fairly certain my Red Sea NO3 kit is incorrect.

I tested NO3 3-4 days ago, and it was 2-3ppm. Tested yesterday & today with the high-range test, and its showing it must be over 64ppm. Surely thats impossible lol.

I tested NO3 3-4 days ago, and it was 2-3ppm. Tested yesterday & today with the high-range test, and its showing it must be over 64ppm. Surely thats impossible lol.

Can you explain exactly how you got the 2-3ppm of nitrates result? Like how much tank water did you use and how much RO water did you dilute it with?

For the high-range, the same question. That'll help in potentially diagnosing if the kit is bad.

Can you explain exactly how you got the 2-3ppm of nitrates result? Like how much tank water did you use and how much RO water did you dilute it with?

For the high-range, the same question. That'll help in potentially diagnosing if the kit is bad.

Following the instructions on the Red Sea kit. 16ml of tank water, add reagents in, wait for results. It was testing consistently and I assume accurately for days. Then suddenly, it spikes to "64ppm?"

For high range, I diluted 1ml of tank water into 15ml of RODI.

Following the instructions on the Red Sea kit. 16ml of tank water, add reagents in, wait for results. It was testing consistently and I assume accurately for days. Then suddenly, it spikes to "64ppm?"

Seems correct in your methodology. Sorry for having to ask but I just wanted to make sure you had followed the instructions correctly. So you read 64 ppm on the high-range test? Did you get a screaming hot sample on your low-range and that's what caused you to run the high range test?

Seems correct in your methodology. Sorry for having to ask but I just wanted to make sure you had followed the instructions correctly. So you read 64 ppm on the high-range test? Did you get a screaming hot sample on your low-range and that's what caused you to run the high range test?

I got this incredibly dark purple color that didn't really match anything; the closest thing being 64ppm.

I just tried the high-range test again, and its is MUCH different. Looks to be close to 8-10ppm.

Definitely an issue with the test kit.

So you got the dark purple with the high-range kit?

Did you repeat the test immediately when you got the 64ppm to confirm that the test was not contaminated or skewed?

I'd say if you got 8-10 ppm the second time on the high-range kit, that sounds like it's working fine to me. Keep in mind that you are personally diluting the sample and even a couple drops difference while doing the dilution can cause the nitrate level to shift up or down with the variance.

So you got the dark purple with the high-range kit?

Did you repeat the test immediately when you got the 64ppm to confirm that the test was not contaminated or skewed?

I'd say if you got 8-10 ppm the second time on the high-range kit, that sounds like it's working fine to me. Keep in mind that you are personally diluting the sample and even a couple drops difference while doing the dilution can cause the nitrate level to shift up or down with the variance.

I got super dark purple with both low-range and high-range. I re-tested after shaking up the reagents and trying the high-range again. It was almost immediately after.

Sorry Brooks, I'm old and senile and it's late so I'm a little slow with following. Let me know if this is the sequence of events:

1) Tested with low-range (screaming hot sample above 4ppm upper limit of test)

2) Tested with high-range (screaming hot sample which matched best with 64ppm)

3) Retested high-range (sample read 6-8 ppm)

Sorry Brooks, I'm old and senile and it's late so I'm a little slow with following. Let me know if this is the sequence of events:

1) Tested with low-range (screaming hot sample above 4ppm upper limit of test)

2) Tested with high-range (screaming hot sample which matched best with 64ppm)

3) Retested high-range (sample read 6-8 ppm)

Correct!

And I'm right there with you! Its late!

Alright, thank you for humoring me. If I had a guess as to an explanation, here's my best guess.

1) Your low-range kit read it correctly and your nitrates probably really are at 6-8ppm. Since the limit of the low-range is 4ppm, the sample will look like its screaming hot.

2) You tested using the high-range dilution and potentially grabbed 15ml of tank water and 1ml of RO/DI water by accident. Just a guess here but only explanation I have for the super hot sample of 64ppm.

3) You then retested immediately and got 6-8ppm on the high-range which corroborates with the low-range test kit result.

Quick thought, sometimes it takes a bit for the nitrate level to register, at least for me it did when I was messing around with nitrate dosing as well. Call it a latent interaction with the biology of the tank but sometimes I would have a much higher nitrate reading a couple days after I dosed. Perhaps you are seeing something similar with the 6-8ppm of nitrate you are reading now?

Again, just all theories. I could totally be barking up the wrong tree.

I've decided to replace one of my ATI bulbs with an Actinic. Here is my current bulb combo

ATI BLUE +
ATI AQUA BLUE SPECIAL
KZ FIJI PURPLE
ATI BLUE +
ATI CORAL +
ATI BLUE +

I'll be replacing the Aqua Blue Special with the actinic bulb.

I should've thought ahead and realized that corals need the actinic spectrum for color.

I've decided to replace one of my ATI bulbs with an Actinic. Here is my current bulb combo

ATI BLUE +

ATI AQUA BLUE SPECIAL

KZ FIJI PURPLE

ATI BLUE +

ATI CORAL +

ATI BLUE +

I should've thought ahead and realized that corals need the actinic spectrum for color.

I'm a newb to T5's, why the addition of the KZ Fiji Purple and not Purple Plus.

ATI BLUE +

ATI AQUA BLUE SPECIAL

KZ FIJI PURPLE

ATI BLUE +

ATI CORAL +

ATI BLUE +

The KZ Fiji was the original purple. Its the only KZ bulb that is better than the rest. The Fiji has a brighter crips magenta, whereas the Purple + is more red.

Its all a matter of preference - if you like what you see then don't change it! The differences are just related to spectrum of the bulb.

ATI BLUE +

ATI AQUA BLUE SPECIAL

KZ FIJI PURPLE

ATI BLUE +

ATI CORAL +

ATI BLUE +

The KZ Fiji was the original purple. Its the only KZ bulb that is better than the rest. The Fiji has a brighter crips magenta, whereas the Purple + is more red.

Its all a matter of preference - if you like what you see then don't change it! The differences are just related to spectrum of the bulb.

I thought the crips were blue, not magenta? rofl.gif

That's a whole lot of blue in that T5 line up. Will you be running any other lights to bring some more white light into the tank?

ATI BLUE +

ATI AQUA BLUE SPECIAL

KZ FIJI PURPLE

ATI BLUE +

ATI CORAL +

ATI BLUE +

I thought the crips were blue, not magenta? rofl.gif

That's a whole lot of blue in that T5 line up. Will you be running any other lights to bring some more white light into the tank?

LOL!

Its a fair mix of blues/whites. I'm not a huge fan of crisp white - I like a lot of blue! LOL!

It won't look too Windex-ish. If it does I'll put the AquaBlue Special back in, and remove a Blue+

Archived