54g Red Sea Reefer Series

Brooks

I've decided to replace one of my ATI bulbs with an Actinic. Here is my current bulb combo

ATI BLUE +

ATI AQUA BLUE SPECIAL

KZ FIJI PURPLE

ATI BLUE +

ATI CORAL +

ATI BLUE +

I'll be replacing the Aqua Blue Special with the actinic bulb.

I should've thought ahead and realized that corals need the actinic spectrum for color.

I'm a newb to T5's, why the addition of the KZ Fiji Purple and not Purple Plus.

The KZ Fiji was the original purple. Its the only KZ bulb that is better than the rest. The Fiji has a brighter crips magenta, whereas the Purple + is more red.

Its all a matter of preference - if you like what you see then don't change it! The differences are just related to spectrum of the bulb.

I thought the crips were blue, not magenta? rofl.gif

That's a whole lot of blue in that T5 line up. Will you be running any other lights to bring some more white light into the tank?

LOL!

Its a fair mix of blues/whites. I'm not a huge fan of crisp white - I like a lot of blue! LOL!

It won't look too Windex-ish. If it does I'll put the AquaBlue Special back in, and remove a Blue+

That was gonna be my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or you could always drop the ab special and add a second coral+. To me the ab special was always a little to harsh, and the coral+ just has a really nice color mix. It would seem that you are going for a 20k look with that mix?

Or you could always drop the ab special and add a second coral+. To me the ab special was always a little to harsh, and the coral+ just has a really nice color mix. It would seem that you are going for a 20k look with that mix?

That was my other option. I like things fairly blue - but a 20k spectrum is what I was going for. Fortunately it's super easy to switch the combination! If I don't like it. And the fixture is dimmable so I have some wiggle room. The beauty of T5!!

That was my other option. I like things fairly blue - but a 20k spectrum is what I was going for. Fortunately it's super easy to switch the combination! If I don't like it. And the fixture is dimmable so I have some wiggle room. The beauty of T5!!

Yep that is definitely the nice thing about T5, almost endless possibilities for spectrum. Don't like it replace and bulb or two and go from there.

Yep that is definitely the nice thing about T5, almost endless possibilities for spectrum. Don't like it replace and bulb or two and go from there.

Trial and error, and trial and error, rinse wash and repeat.

I think my corals are a little angry from having a new light. Or perhaps having no light for 3 days prior to my receipt of the new fixture. ???

Water tested well today. PO4 at .04, NO3 at 1ppm (roughly).

I did a total of a 60% water change last week over the course of a few days. It definitely helped any outlying issues.

Having a little bit of diatoms, but its all part of the new tank syndrome.

On the bright side, I'm noticing slight growth in some of the Acros I got from @FarmerTy! A new branch spouting up on the Blue Stag, and some growth tips on the Bird's Nest!

Archived