54g Red Sea Reefer Series

Brooks

Hello ARC!

Its been quite a while since my husband (Sean) and I have had a tank; almost 2 years I think. When we tore down our last system, it was after a devastating loss of EVERY fish we had in our tank. We were never able to figure out what went wrong. Needless to say, it made is pretty gun shy.

We made a visit to a few of our awesome LFS, which we infrequently did for the past year or so to see the livestock. Then we found the Red Sea Reefer series and fell in love! Purchase it from Gary at AquaDome the same day.

Here are some of the specs:

- Red Sea Reefer AIO 54g display - ultra clear (and VERY thick) glass.

- 11g glass sump, with skimmer chamber and return chamber. As well as a built-in ATO float valve, glass reservoir, and easily removable filter socks.

- 2 x AI Prime

- 1 x Jebao WP10

- Bubble Magus Curve

- Sicce Return (not sure which model - but its big)

- Surface skimmer in the overflow box

- (FUTURE) We're looking into a controller for the system sometime soon.

The cabinetry is made of particle board mostly, but there are some pieces that are wood. It has a nice lacquer finish that looks very sleek and modern. Unfortunately, there is not much room in the sump for dosing pumps, GFO/Carbon reactors, etc. But, we're really really hoping to make the Carbon/GFO reactor fit, but it will be tight.

All dosing will be done by hand. poke.gif

You might notice that the tank is slightly uneven due to our floors in our apartment building not being completely level. There is less than a 1/2" difference.

Thanks for following along!

post-830-0-25287900-1455561455_thumb.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back Brooks! Glad you're getting back in and chose such a clean looking setup to get back in with.

You didn't miss too much, you're still the last winner of the tank of the quarter back in 2010! [emoji23]

Ha! Thank you!! I'm glad to see the community is still very active. No matter how long, you can't ever "get out," of the hobby!

Good to see you're still here!

I had initial worries about the water level of the tank being .5" off. I was concerned the pressure on the right side might cause the tank to fail.

I had a friend (who is also my old physics teacher from high school) come over to assess. He said it won't be an issue of safety, just aesthetics. The floor is uneven; not the stand or tank. Unfortunately there is no other spot in our home to put the tank.

To corroborate his results, I've researched extensively and have come to the same conclusion. Here is a quote from a member of another forum:

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it bothers you visually. I have done some hydrostatic calculations on just this subject. The forces to the side do not become significant unless the tank is significantly off-level - at least an inch over a 48 inch run - more for a 72 inch tank. I rember a post several monhs ago where the poster said that his 90 gal was 2 inches off level. I ran the calculations and determined that the added force on the side of the tank was around 30 lbs. Even this is not a huge amount, but might be enough to cause problems over the long term.

For those mathematically inclined, the added force on the side of the tank is proportional to the sine of the angle that the base of the tank makes with the horizontal. If the angle is 0 degrees (level), the sine is equal to 0, and there is no added force. As the angle increases, the force increases. You didn't specify your tank size, but for a 90 gallon tank, You have about 720 pounds of water. If you are 1/8 inch off-level, the angle with the horizontal is 0.1492 degrees. The sine of 0.1492 is 0.0026. The component of the weight of the water acting on the side of the tank is about 1.9 pounds. This is insignificant.

For a 90 gal tank that is 1/2 inch off-level, the added force on the side is about 7.5 pounds. This is still pretty insignificant.

For comparison, the total force on both sides of the tank by the water when the tank is level is about 190 pounds (I wont go into the calculation for this because it is a little more complicated). Therefore, the additional force exerted because of the tilt represents about a 1% increase in the case of a 1/8 inch tilt, and about a 4% increase with a 1/2 inch tilt. Both of which should be acceptable.

Welcome back Brooks! Glad you're getting back in and chose such a clean looking setup to get back in with.

You didn't miss too much, you're still the last winner of the tank of the quarter back in 2010! [emoji23]

Ha! Thank you!! I'm glad to see the community is still very active. No matter how long, you can't ever "get out," of the hobby!

Yeah, you can try, but you'll never fully leave!

You knew me back in my "Jeeper" days, before I settled down and became a "Farmer". [emoji6]

Yeah, you can try, but you'll never fully leave!

You knew me back in my "Jeeper" days, before I settled down and became a "Farmer". [emoji6]

Lol! I has forgotten that was your old name. I can't believe I've been a member since 2009 - I was 15!

That's crazy! You had a great setup back then. I wish I could have afforded stuff like that at that age!

Ha! Thank you! Lots of Christmas and birthday presents. ?

I'm looking for your tank build. I saw the picture of the tang you just sold, and the background looked incredible!

That's crazy! You had a great setup back then. I wish I could have afforded stuff like that at that age!

Ha! Thank you! Lots of Christmas and birthday presents.

I'm looking for your tank build. I saw the picture of the tang you just sold, and the background looked incredible!

Stay away from my tank build... unless you want to get sucked into a black hole and somehow pop back up a week later wondering what happened.

Here's my best video I took of my tank. I've changed a couple things over the holidays.

https://youtu.be/1RTwwSU2HJY

The big reveal is this Saturday as I'm hosting the February meeting if you can attend. Free food, free nano tank giveaway, and a demonstration on 3 different methods on dipping SPS.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/index.php?/topic/35937-February-Meeting-at-FarmerTy's-2/20/16-@2PM

Ha! Thank you! Lots of Christmas and birthday presents.

Stay away from my tank build... unless you want to get sucked into a black hole and somehow pop back up a week later wondering what happened.

Here's my best video I took of my tank. I've changed a couple things over the holidays.

The big reveal is this Saturday as I'm hosting the February meeting if you can attend. Free food, free nano tank giveaway, and a demonstration on 3 different methods on dipping SPS.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/index.php?/topic/35937-February-Meeting-at-FarmerTy's-2/20/16-@2PM

I have tank envy... I'll try to make it this Saturday!

Welcome back!! Your tank is looking good and I'm excited to see what you do with it. Sorry about your last tank, it sure sucks to lose fish.

KIM!

So glad to see you're still here!!! Do you still have your seahorses?

Thank you for the very sweet compliment. I'm very eager to hit the ground running.

xx

Welcome back!! Your tank is looking good and I'm excited to see what you do with it. Sorry about your last tank, it sure sucks to lose fish.

KIM!

Thank you for the very sweet compliment. I'm very eager to hit the ground running.

xx

No, no seahorses for me right now. I have 3 little boys that take up my time these days. I just have a regular mixed reef right now I try to keep alive.

KIM!

xx

No, no seahorses for me right now. I have 3 little boys that take up my time these days. I just have a regular mixed reef right now I try to keep alive.

I bet you definitely have your hands full! Glad to see you're still reefin'!

Added another WP10 today.

That should be more than enough flow now! fish.giffish.gif

Picked up some Red Sea test kits, too. So far everything is going pretty well. I purchased a couple of SPS frags from @FarmerTy. Polyp extension is great since adding them in yesterday.

Fingers crossed everything move forward smoothly.

I began dosing KNO3 today.

Before dosing, I measured the NO3 at 0ppm. I dosed 3ML, and tested one hour later at 1ppm. PO4 tested at .01ppm - .02ppm.

Believe it or not, there is an increase in PE already.

iPhone photography doesn't work well with deep blue lights. fish.gif

Archived