Feeding amounts + stocking

Dan H

So the other night we had a fellow ARC member over... During the conversation I fed our tank. When I portioned out the mysis and brine, he noted it was good to see how much we feed because he realized he's probably overfeeding. The funny part is I feel like we feed too much so I think that shows how much discrepancy there is on quantity.

So I thought that's a great idea for a thread.

Let's post up your system, livestock, and what you feed on what schedule.

First the system:

240 with 75 gallon sump, powerful skimmer running a tad on the wet side (fills up about 32oz of skimmate weekly), 400 lbs of sand DSB. We try to do 50 gallon water changes every other week. Nitrates tend to run between 1 and 2.5ppm. Occasionally it goes up a tiny bit but is back down with water changes.

Livestock:

20 fish, mostly small. 1 tang, 2 large Wrasse, 1 small Wrasse, 4 Chromis, 5 Anthias, 1 coral beauty, 2 dragonets, 2 green banded gobies, 2 firefish.

6 shrimp, probably 50 snails, 30 hermits, 5 large starfish, 10 crabs.

Feeding schedule:

1 sheet of nori every 2-3 days.

Once daily - 2 cubes of frozen brine shrimp and 1 chunk of frozen mysis about the size of 2 cubes. Occasionally add another small chunk of Rod's.

Today's dinner. The mysis chunk was slightly larger than usual...

11291792b4e6d6e10db3ba027e94da29.jpg

Ha! So I just showed this to Meg and she said "oh I usually feed a much bigger chunk of mysis." That may explain the slight nitrates... And it shows, even in the same house there is discrepancy. We agreed that she's going to use less mysis starting now.

Haha, man I feed more than that between 14 fish in two tanks, although some of my food has krill in it, which I pick out and feed to the H. magnifica anemone. My phosphates were pretty high though, so I scaled down. Currently I just feed 2-3 pinches of dry food daily, two pinches a day for the anthias in the QT tank.

I feed every other day

2 ice cube tray portions of Rods and alternating mysis and PE mysis..

b654dcd3261b0c1846396c0c96e97250.jpg

And have an auto feeder running once a day feeding NLS Thera+ Pellets.

I have several Large Tangs, a puffer, 6 Anthias, 2 Foxfaces, 3 Clown Fish, a Flame Angel, and a Red Coris Wrasse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feed every other day

2 ice cube tray portions of Rods and alternating mysis and PE mysis..

b654dcd3261b0c1846396c0c96e97250.jpg

And have an auto feeder running once a day feeding NLS Thera+ Pellets.

I have several Large Tangs, a puffer, 6 Anthias, 2 Foxfaces, 3 Clown Fish, a Flame Angel, and a Red Coris Wrasse.

Several large tangs is quite the understatement.

Well I didn't feel like counting...... Geez hahaha

46gal display, 60gal overall system. 4" DSB, 50+lbs LR, Red Sea HOB skimmer.

Current livestock: Clown (regular Nemo style), Six Line Wrasse, Longfin Wrasse, Orange Diamond Spotted Goby, Cleaner Shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, Brittle Starfish, couple of Turbo Snails, four Nassarius Snais.

I feed 1 Hikari cube per day, rotating between bloodworms, squid, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp & krill.

I do have a bit of a GHA issue right now, but I'm not willing to make any changes since I'm upgrading tanks in the next couple of weeks. I'll address it w/ a refugium and bigger skimmer.

I've got a 40 breeder with a 20g sump, but not currently running a fuge. I've got a new sump to install that will give me room for a fuge and a skimmer but as yet not operational.

I've got an enormous female DaVinci clown and her little partner, a six line wrasse, a baby hippo, tuxedo urchin, about 10 different snails, emerald crab, peppermint shrimp, porcelain crab, probably a dozen hermits and some hungry acans/palys/fungia plate that catch meaty foods regularly.

I alternate a cube of Hikari Spirulina Brine/Mysis 6 days a week. I'm over feeding - it used to be worse [emoji15][emoji16] No major problems yet but I need to moderate back......[emoji12]

~110 total volume

3 Clowns

2 Springer's Damsel

1 Talbot Damsel

1 Royal Gramma

1 Assessor Basslet

1 Yellow Tang

3 Peppermint shrimp

Feed about every other day. Alternate between spectrum marine pellets, YFS spirulina soft pellets, and Rods, but the rods is more like every other week.

YFS pellets are awesome if anyone is sick of dealing with sheets of nori.

Archived