In tank treatment of STN on A. echinata with Lugal's iodine

Timfish

Nice! I'll give this a try Tim the next time I experience STN. I've always just superglued it and I'd say it stopped the STN about 75% of the time when the offending cause of the STN has been removed/remedied.

I have Lugol's at home so I'll give it a try just to see.

Actually, it was quite hard to read but my whining threshold wasn't reached yet... apparently its much higher than Robb's. nopity.gif

I'd change the text color if possible to something that contrasts the background better and since you're posting in photobucket anyways, just click on the "image" link and copy that into your post and it'll just show it on ARC instead of sending us to photobucket.

Like this:

In%20tank%20STN%20treatment%20A%20echina

Nevermind, I forgot photobucket stopped just hosting the picture and now redirects you even if you place the image in the post.

Three drops and 16 ml water mixed in a syringe and target applied in tank or was this out of tank? I assume flow was temporarily cut? If so for how long? What is the total tank volume? I've battled stn in acropora for a couple months now and it's nearly wiped me out entirely. Have a few that are still in there but they're still dropping one by one even as I type this. Be interested to try something new

But it was easy to read on my 55" monitor. hmm.png I'll darken the blue background I used under the text blocks.

Bpb, it was in tank, water flow was not turned off but I don't use high flow rates and the frag is in a calm corner as well. It was also treated three consecutive days as well if that was not clear.

It's encouraging but this is still just a single example and the iodine may not have had much effect. Just removing the Anthelia and flushing the dead tissue off may have been all that was needed. It'll take more examples under different conditions to really tell if it's a viable treatment.

Even still, just the fact that you reversed tissue loss is great. Perhaps if its something systemic like an swing (alk, temp, salinity) or a rapid phosphate strip, it's not as easy to reverse.

• 4 weeks later...

Growth rate with both the Acropora tortusa and A. echinata in this system is very slow, maybe 1/16" a month compared to A. valida and Seratipora histrex (Birdsnest) in this system. There is a slight regrowth but I would consider it insignificant. Since the nitrates are so low in this system (< 0.25 mg/l) compared to my other tank that has much, much better growth I'm uping the amount of food I'm feeding to the fish. Since I've only very rarely used suppliments or dosing on this system I've also added an autofeeder dumping aragamight daily about 6 weeks ago.

At least it's not STNing anymore. Keep us posted on the results of the echinata. I had one piece started STNing in an area, oddly because some sand/detritus fell on it and instead of pulling out the superglue and clippers like I usually do, I dipped it in a diluted Lugols solution just to give it a try. I'll post results/pictures when I have a chance.

My battles with stn are well documented. One thing I may have left out is that of all my acropora, the Hawkins is the happiest. Furthermore, it's the only acro I have that has successfully grown back over dead stn tissue. It's started to stn twice, has made it about 1 cm, and then it stops and grows back over

My battles with stn are well documented. One thing I may have left out is that of all my acropora, the Hawkins is the happiest. Furthermore, it's the only acro I have that has successfully grown back over dead stn tissue. It's started to stn twice, has made it about 1 cm, and then it stops and grows back over

Bpb, just for feedback, during my STN adventure after my upgrade, my hawkins echinata and my setosa were the most gorgeous I has ever seen them. I don't know if it was them super high salinity (1.032) or super high nitrates (50+ppm) but they were stunning... while everything else was STNING slowly in my tank. That's why I wonder if you need to be triple-checked on your parameters if you're still having problems with STN.

Archived