Matts 225 DSA

mbaxter

Hi Everyone! Im starting my FIRST tank build.

My new 225g Deep Sea Aquatics arrived today. Unfortunately, Ill be in a holding pattern while I wait for my filtration as Ive ordered a complete system from Lifereef.

29g sump, VS2-24 Skimmer, 3 reactors, Refugium, Biopellet reactor, and return pump, but I need to patiently wait until August for it to be built. Im told its worth the wait.

In the meantime I plan to get everything else ready and hopefully meet some people at the April ARC meeting, if I can make it. I havent RSVP'd yet.

My plans so far:

Lifereef LF1-300S system

(2) Buildmyled 72" MC series LED fixtures - a 90 degree in the back and a 60 in the front

(2) Maxspect Gyre 150 - 1 at each end of the tank - open to suggestions, maybe MP40's

Apex Gold

post-3906-0-66216500-1427239656_thumb.jp

post-3906-0-94783500-1427240445_thumb.jp

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! Love the clean look of the stand. I don't know how you can have that much patience. I'm going to run gyre 150's as well so you can come take notes once we have it running.

Yes, Its regular glass.

Im dreading the wait but I talked to Jeff at LR for nearly an hour before deciding to go on the wait list. I like the fact that he has a 10 year warranty and I simply cannot find anyone that doesnt like his equipment, The really only expense is time. His prices are reasonable.

Fortunately I can build out the rest of the tank over the next few months and can make any changes as I get closer to build.

Put a tub in the stand, and use that as a temporary "sump" then pump it back into the tank. It will help with the cycle and provide a place to capture any debris (using a sock) esp. if you are adding live sand as it is very cloudy at first.

Congrats on the 225, I just spent the last few months planning out my 200 DSA build and finally got it all setup more or less haha.

If you have the apex, I would recommend the mp40s or tunze turbelle stream controllable. I have a couple turbelle stream 6105s on my 200 DSA I just setup and was able to buy the adapter for the apex and got a solid inch plus wave. I believe you have the ability to connect the vortechs as well but I've always been a tunze fan. They are expensive but would be able to move more water in my opinion compared to the gyre without the extra clutter of adding other powerheads but I've never had any expereince with those just seen videos and such. With the apex variable speed setup and the vortech/tunze you gain alot of controllability though, you can control the flow throughout the day, ie; dusk/dawn day and night flow and setup flush cycles to move nutrients around (this part took some research and trial and error but I would be happy to help explain it on the tunze end haha).

Lifereef has some qualitiy products but thats a heck of a wait for a sump. If you haven't committed the funds to the order check out the trigger systems sumps, I put a trigger systems tideline 48 in mine, the quality is excellent plenty of space for skimmers pumps and the lot. Plus it has mounts for your probes and dosing lines already which is awesome. It just barely squeezed into my 200 stand though haha. But if you're good with the down time and waiting on the Lifereef then go with that for sure. Definitely get the rock and water in and cycling during the wait, I was in a similar setup with my DSA waiting a few months for the hood so I had it all up and running until I could get the lighting up. Best of luck on the build though!

• 1 month later...

I thought it give an update on my tank build for everyone.

It looks llike Ive moved up to July for my Lifereef sump, refugium,Calcium Reactor build.

Here's what I have so far:

Stand Lighting -

(2) 6 ft waterproof LED Strips off Ebay for $9 shipped.

(2) 8' 3/8" aluminum C-channel cut to length - from Home Depot

1 micro door switch from Frys

1 old 12V wall wart cell phone charger

I cut the c-channel to length, drilled holes to attach to each stand cross member and screwed them in. Then I adhered the led strips to them and wired them to the 12V PS and the door switch. They now come on automatically when I open the right door and provide PLENTY of working light.

gallery_3906_673_3126327.jpg

Controller:

Apex Controller

VDM Module

Installed the Neptune APEX and labeled each wire using a commercial waterproof vinyl label maker at work. It still needs some wire management work once i get the sump.

gallery_3906_673_1015456.jpg

Avast Marine ATO w/ APEX cable

Schedule 80 ball valves and return plumbing

Installed my ATO pressure switch (up on the backside of support beam in picture), Drain and Return ball valves and sch 40 return line.

BTW the aluminum c - channel makes a really nice cable trough for wires, my ATO and temp probe wire run through it to the APEX.

gallery_3906_673_2091449.jpg

(2) 72" BML MC 20K fixtures with custom cable exits (2" from the end), APEX Splitters and tank mounts.

I picked these up at BML yesterday and couldnt be happier. They fit perfectly under my canopy.

gallery_3906_673_1171740.jpg

ATO cabinet

Old IKEA filing cabinet - painted black with new drawer pulls and nylon wheels.

1 6g blue potable water tank from Walmart.

Sanded down this old IKEA cabinet, painted it black to match and it fits a water jug in the filing cabinet part and has 1 drawer left for various other items.

gallery_3906_673_1484932.jpg

And Finally, I ordered 275lbs of dry rock and 160 lbs of Sand from Marco Rocks. Marc called me and we decided to ship it bulk carrier to the local terminal on a pallet where it can be forked into my truck. Im sure my USPS carrier would appreciate that smile.png.

Once that arrives, Ill get it aquascaped, purchase the MP40's and start cycling around June 1.

Hopefully the bulk carrier won't screw up your sand/rock like they did mine! It's looking great! Can't wait to see water in it! I'll still have to swing by and visit a fellow Michigander. :)

Hopefully the bulk carrier won't screw up your sand/rock like they did mine! It's looking great! Can't wait to see water in it! I'll still have to swing by and visit a fellow Michigander. smile.png

I was hoping to make to the meeting at your house last week but couldnt pass up a weekend at the beach in Port A.

Ill definitely let you know when I get ready to fill it for cycling and then if you'd be up for it when I get my filtration and for the initial setup. It would be great to have some experience for that part and get me started on the right foot.

Too bad we cant get Bells Oberon around here :)

Matt

Almost forgot. I also spent a weekend building a mixing station. My RODI is on another wall to share the waste drain with my water softner and then run through the garage attic to the 2 35g leg tanks.

gallery_3906_673_3860870.jpg

Those rubber feet of the BML fixtures are facing the wrong direction, in case you didn't fix it already.

I know. I need to change it but unfortunately I have to run the lights back to BML. They swapped channels on one fixture so when I turn on channel 1, I get one fixture white and one fixture blue. I can fix it at the solunar module by moving cables but when I told BML they asked me to run them back so they can "Reeducate" the builders and fix it. It was a mistake and they want to make it right. And they gave me a little incentive too. :) They have been great to work with.

Those rubber feet of the BML fixtures are facing the wrong direction, in case you didn't fix it already.

I know. I need to change it but unfortunately I have to run the lights back to BML. They swapped channels on one fixture so when I turn on channel 1, I get one fixture white and one fixture blue. I can fix it at the solunar module by moving cables but when I told BML they asked me to run them back so they can "Reeducate" the builders and fix it. It was a mistake and they want to make it right. And they gave me a little incentive too. smile.png They have been great to work with.

They are very good about customer service. If you need more light, a 20K XB and 12K 6' fixture will be up for sale from me soon.... :)

I know. I need to change it but unfortunately I have to run the lights back to BML. They swapped channels on one fixture so when I turn on channel 1, I get one fixture white and one fixture blue. I can fix it at the solunar module by moving cables but when I told BML they asked me to run them back so they can "Reeducate" the builders and fix it. It was a mistake and they want to make it right. And they gave me a little incentive too. smile.png They have been great to work with.

They are very good about customer service. If you need more light, a 20K XB and 12K 6' fixture will be up for sale from me soon.... smile.png

Yes they are. And they gave me my tank mounts for free. A small gesture I didnt expect or ask for.

Archived