Testing and dosing for Iodine, Iron and Potassium?

ceastman

I test for all 3 with the Red Sea color test kit and dose all 3 with the Red Sea colors program. I have laid off on testing iron though. It always seemed to come up 0 and my triton test showed very elevated levels. I think it was also what was pushing my P04 down to 0. I limit my iron dosing to once a month now.

I wouldn't spend time with it, honestly. I'm not super well read on the chemistry there, but I believe that several of those compounds exist in multiple ionic combinations (e.g., ferric/ferrous iron). I was not a fan of the red sea kits for K/Fe/I. The detection limits, accuracy and test methods were subpar IMO. I have used hanna iron photometers, but they only test for ferrous iron, and I'm not even sure they're designed for marine use. Couple that with the hobby not having a great hold on what the effects (positive & negative) that certain dosages of those chemicals have, and I tend to stay away from trying to reach target levels of K/Fe/I. Water changes, and if you were feeling super diligent, a mult-compound trace supplement.

• Like 1

@JimH. Based on your testing, how often and how much do you end up dosing lugols? Whats your water change regimen if you don't mind me asking.

I am dosing 1 drop of lugol's per week. I change 5% water per week (1.5 gallons) and iodine consistently tests around 0.3ppm using red sea kit. I use instant ocean regular salt mix.

• Like 1