Ultra Pure water in tank

12_egg_omelette

I was wondering if there would be a drawback of using Type 1 Ultra Pure water as top off water in a reef tank. The water would be coming from a MiliQ water system. I don't see anything wrong with it but my background is physiology and molecular biology not marine biology. Can someone who has a better understanding of this than me chime in.

"The purification processes involve successive steps of filtration and deionization to achieve a purity expediently characterised in terms of resistivity (typically 18.2 MΩ·cm at 25 °C). The term is also commonly used as a genericised trademark to refer to other purified waters and purification equipment.

Milli-Q water purifiers use resin filters and deionization to purify the water. The system monitors the ion concentration by measuring the electrical resistivity of the water. Higher resistivity means fewer charge-carrying ions. Most Milli-Q systems dispense the water through a 0.22 μm membrane filter.

Milli-Q purifiers are capable of producing water pure enough to get reproducibility and accuracies within parts per million when using ion mass spectrometers

My guess is if its good enough for an analytical lab and costs $1k, the water will work just fine for mixing saltwater and topoff. grin.png

My lack of desire to lug jugs of water around would be more the determining factor than price on that one though. I am a pretty lazy reefer though so don't give too much credit to my opinion on that one.

• Like 2

cubicle? what kind of scientist do you think he is?!

Its called a laffice.

lab-office.

I thought everyone had them.

I cant think of any reasons why T1 UP water wouldn't work, but the juice might not be worth the squeeze. Like Ty mentioned, it will come down to how far your willing lug water around....and constantly explain it to coworkers.

... the jugs will seem heavier ever trip.

Edited by Bluemoon
  • Like 1