Will give Acan frag for help loading tank South!

Hi all,

Rollotex who offered the free tank said I could have it if I picked it up tonight at 10:00pm. So, I need help cuz I have to pick it up tonight (Tuesday) at 10:00 PM South near William Cannon and Mo Pac. I have a truck and will rent a uHaul trailer. My problem is loading it only.

Please, please, please anyone South that can help a reefer girl in need. I will give an Acan frag to sweeten the deal a little. :) I will deliver to you over the weekend or can bring to the meeting at Nikos. I know this is late on a weeknight but if there is anyone who can help I will be forever thankful. I need three additional people plus me. Would be great if someone knew where I should cut the plumbing. Guess I need to add a saw to the list. There is still some water in it so I will bring siphon and buckets. Plus, blankets and a foam pad.

I don't need help unloading which is good because I am in Cedar Park. I can get some neighbors to help during the day Wednesday.

PM me if you can help. I'll send you the address. I go to work at 10:45am but will check messages from work at lunch. I work until 9pm and will drive down straight from work.

Thanks so much,

Lara

Bump. Now there are 3 helpers plus myself and 2 trucks. Only problem is none of us have moved a tank this size before... Any tips or a helping hand would be great. Need to cut the plumbing to get it apart. Where is the best place to do this or does it even matter?

Grateful for any tips in transport. I want to get it home in one piece.

6 hours and counting.....

Get the truck as close to the tank as possible to limit how long you need to actually carry it. Same for when you unload it.

It's probably too late but if you can get suction cups, it will be much easier. I believe Harbor Freight sells some cheap ones.

Was able to disassemble and remove sump without having to cut anything. Moved the canopy, sump, live rock, metal halide lights, chiller and various bits and pieces he had. Wasn't able to move the tank with 5 people we could tilt it a little but lifting it was out of the question. He said it was a 135g tank but according to the L 60" x W 22" x H 48" divided by 231 = 274.29 g. This is a different animal. I will call around tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Any ideas welcome. I have the perfect place for it at the house which is good because it isn't moving once it gets here. When it actually gets to the house I'll start a build thread. Wish me luck....

See if you can rent suction cups. Maybe try a glass company. Me and another guy moved my 215 (72"x24"x29" and made out of 3/4" glass) fairly easily.

The ones we used are 'pro' model ones that run ~$100 each.

Or see if Grainger has them in stock, buy em, use em, return for refund.

Depending on when, I might be able to get the ones I used and help.

Thanks Robb. I think what is making it such a monster is the metal frame that covers top, bottom and corners... That plus we thought it was a 135 g .

With all of us we managed to get a dolly under one side then tilt it with three of us and the other rocking the dolly we pulled it away from the wall. Then we all 5 held down on the stand and slightly tilted the tank to see if it was actually attached to the frame. We did front and back and after staring at it and each of us pushing on it in disbelief a little conceded round one to the tank.

He said he will meet me at the house again and to call him when I figure something out. He said Saturday would even be ok.

Hopefully I can figure something out.

It is in the garage but can't back the truck up to it because it would be too tall in the bed of the truck and would hit the garage door. No stairs or steps involved on either side of the move only the thresholds at my place and it is going right beside the front door. So that part of the puzzle is helpful. Might have to drive over my grass depending on if we are rolling it there is a sidewalk.

Here is a photo of the beast...

There isn't anything around it right now...note the white things on the upper left are five gallon water jugs for size reference.

You can see the garage door issue with loading it in the truck inside the garage. A trailer would be ok but I had 3 trucks and no trailer...oh yeah..we couldn't even lift it... Thanks for helping me brainstorm this one. I have to go to work but I'll check in when I can. I am thinking I need to try to get something organized for Saturday.

post-3526-0-27319600-1405523643_thumb.jp

When we couldn't lift it we decided to try to tilt it to see if it was attached, the stand tilted with it so then we searched for anything attaching it, couldn't see anything and then tried again using our feet on the bottom of the stand to hold the stand down and were able to tilt just the tank. We did this to both front and back but even unstuck from the stand it was still to heavy. The owner pd to have it move there and he said 4 brawny men moved it in.... Professionals.... So it can be moved... Said he paid $750. I don't have $750 to get it moved. I could rent a trailer and buy pizza and beer oh and I now have some water jugs to sweeten the deal... Ha ha ha.

I am sure this will make a great story to tell...in the future....I have faith it will end up here...not sure how now...

Thanks for everyone brain storming with me!

The club does have suction cups you can borrow, but sounds like you need a hydraulic dolly for the move. Try contacting Timfish (Fishy Stuff) for his availability.

I am checking with River City to see if they can move it for me. But, honestly I think this tank is too tall for me. I feel responsible getting it moved so if no one else wants it for free and can actually move it, I'll see if River City can come out and haul it off for him. Wanted to give ARC members one last shot at it.

Archived