Baby star fish!!!

Cuber54

I wasn't too sure where to post this- but to my surprise - my lil reef tank appeared this baby starfish - I am amazed that my newly set up tank about 6 months just when I thought the tank was taking another cycling dive appeared this thing- my tank is flourishing now and everything is taking on as should be- my question is- how long can this starfish survive in my lil nano tank? Should I remove or keep it? What would be the best thing to do ? uza3uhyn.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asterina starfish - not good for Zoanthids

That depends on who you ask (on the not good part).

I have had no problems with Asternias and zoanthids. There is much debate over this, and it seems to boil down to ther possibly being two types of these.

Never had any problems either. When my colonies would melt or an sps start stn'ing, they are there to clean up the decaying matter. Otherwise, they left everything alone.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I must have had bad ones, because I agree with Versace. IMO asterinas are pests. I'm almost 90% sure they are the main reason why I couldn't keep Rastas alive. I pull out every one I find.

There's a bunch of species of them. I've been luck enough to only have benign ones.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/45-reefkeeping-101-

knock on wood. I've only seen them doing beneficial clean up in my tanks. If im not mistaken a few decades ago there was actually a reef keeping method where people sought to have as many as possible in the tank.

Edit; BtW i totally remember when i saw my first one crawling along the glass. thought i won the lottery haha

Thanks folks- I've never seen them before in a tank I owned- obviously it hitchhiked- do they reproduce? And if so quickly? I haven't had any issues with my zoas being attacked- I will monitor- since i posted this- I don't see it anymore- i will keep an eye out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

off the the top of my head i think they reproduce asexually...which means yes, when you see one, expect more. i had one...now i have...(insert random log equation) in just a few months after seing the first.

on a side note, i used to see quite a few in another tank, but now barely any. i don't have any red claws/fins yet, but i think something is definitely eating them.

Archived