RSW's NEW 65 GALLON MIXED REEF

rockstarwiggle

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first build thread!

I have been in the saltwater hobby for three years, but I have learned a whole lot by browsing and reading up here on ARC.

I am excited about the whole reef ready tank. I went with the 65 gallon for a few reason. I did not want to bring in a tank that I would have to rearrange the house to accommidate it, and I don't have an RODI system in place( that will come later). Finally, I think the dimension on the tank are AWESOME! 36X20X21.

My current tank is a 30 gallon nuvo, sitting on a real sturdy end table. The only thing that will xfer are my fish, corals, rock, TLF 150 reactor and light.

Stuff that I still need to get is:

(1) skimmer, which I am still looking and browsing for etc.

(2) ATO system

(3) few more pieces of rock

(4) sand

(5) there might be other essentials I may need, but I can't think of them right now.

I want to do this right or at least not rush the transition to where I am not happy with how I set it up etc. But at the same time I don't want the tank to be a BIG 'OL paper weight!! So if you have any suggestions for what type of skimmer or rock or sand or ATO is good etc.....please let me know!!!

My new set up is a DEEP SEA AQUATIC 65 GALLON RIMLESS reef ready tank.

The custom made stand is an espresso color, finished VERY nice!!!

The sump is a 20 gallon long I purchased from UTReefer.

The return pump is Jebao DC 3000.

I will post some pictures fo the set up later tonight!

Last but NOT least I would like to thank NIKO's REEF for assisting me and ordering the tank and stand! Travis is an outstanding person to deal with and I highly recommend him!!

1) Reef Octopus skimmers are great, any old Euroreef or ASM can sometimes be found on a budget, SCA-302 can be had cheap and I heard it works well. I have owned the Euroreef, ASM, and Skimz. All great brands and performance is great on all of them. Build quality-wise, the Euroreef and Skimz used thick acrylic and the ASM used extruded PVC, felt cheaper but functioned all the same.

2) Apex... enough said

3) BRS dry pukani rock. Great looking pieces, priced well, just cycle separately and then add to system. Little known fact but you can request certain types of pieces in the notes section (i.e. I asked for the largest pieces possible and got monster pieces delivered).

4) Caribsea Special Grade Aragonite Reef Sand (perfect size that it won't blow around in strong current and size is very consistent, just wash it like crazy, known to have a lot of dust to it)

5) Powerheads? (Jaebo WP40?), larger heater? (buy 300-watt finnex tube from BRS, use Apex to control it), larger magnet cleaner?, 2-part dosers or CaRX?, biopellet reactor? The sky's the limit!

Congratulations on the new tank. I will expect a visit in a few months to feed your burgeoning SPS addiction! rock.gif Haha!

1) Reef Octopus skimmers are great, any old Euroreef or ASM can sometimes be found on a budget, SCA-302 can be had cheap and I heard it works well. I have owned the Euroreef, ASM, and Skimz. All great brands and performance is great on all of them. Build quality-wise, the Euroreef and Skimz used thick acrylic and the ASM used extruded PVC, felt cheaper but functioned all the same.

2) Apex... enough said

3) BRS dry pukani rock. Great looking pieces, priced well, just cycle separately and then add to system. Little known fact but you can request certain types of pieces in the notes section (i.e. I asked for the largest pieces possible and got monster pieces delivered).

4) Caribsea Special Grade Aragonite Reef Sand (perfect size that it won't blow around in strong current and size is very consistent, just wash it like crazy, known to have a lot of dust to it)

5) Powerheads? (Jaebo WP40?), larger heater? (buy 300-watt finnex tube from BRS, use Apex to control it), larger magnet cleaner?, 2-part dosers or CaRX?, biopellet reactor? The sky's the limit!

Congratulations on the new tank. I will expect a visit in a few months to feed your burgeoning SPS addiction! rock.gif Haha!

Thanks Ty. I appreciate it. I will be look into those skimmers. I have eyed the BRS pukani rock. I forgot to mention that this tanks has two returns, so that is gonna help with circulation. I also have a Jebao wp 10. That little mighty power head works awesome and maybe I will try a wp-25 later, but we will see how these returns work out. Yes, I will have to visit in a few months for some SPS and or an orange fungia platewhistle.gif !!

Now my next task is to plumb the bottom portion. I did get Durso and return plumbing from DSA, so that is good to go there. I am gonna have to visit the hardware stores this weekend and figure it all out! Should be fun!! So here is the tank! I am really loving the stands color......espresso!! There are so many little this and thats that I have totally forgot about. The sky is the limit indeed!!

post-3198-0-93872700-1399087538_thumb.jp

post-3198-0-50555000-1399087578_thumb.jp

post-3198-0-76393500-1399087776_thumb.jp

Yeah, i like espresso.....furniture....flooring and coffee!!!

So, I spent most of the day getting plumbing stuff! It was cool but a little overwhelming since i went there with really no plan but just shooting from the hip!!? This is what I mocked up so far.

I hope it is not too much over an overkill for a simple drain and return. I plumbed it to dump into skimmer section and some into refugium area, I am try to avoid too many 90s.My problem areas are circles in red. Any thoughts or suggestion for alternative fitting or splitter etc?

OH...I also put a liner on the inside. I have been doing my homework and browsing other build threads!!!

post-3198-0-66320000-1399174768_thumb.jp

Whew! What a week! I spent most days at a hardware store and I finally plumbed the return lines. Glued it all together. I took a risk and leaked tested at midnight! I just could not help myself after plumbing everything! No leaks and it is operational.

Now, I just have to fine tune it to silence sump etc etc!

Plumb RODI unit and fill it with good clean water!

So I was able to quiet down sump. It sounds really nice and calming versus how it was before.

I just finished filling the tank with RODI water. Now my next few steps are as follow:

1 - Mix salt in tank.

2. Take a few cups of old sand and place in sump to start the new cycle. Not sure of time frame for it to establish?

3. Add new sand

4. Start adding a few pieces of old rock and some corals a little at a time?

Does this sound feasible? Should I do it a different way?

I still will need to add a few more pounds of rock, but not sure when to do it and how long to cure it if I get it dry? Is there a faster way to cure it etc?

I would like to make my old sand as part of my new tanks sump refugium....is this a good idea or bad? When should I take the very little cheato I have and dump it into new tank sump?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my final plumbing layout that has been running over the past 2.5 weeks. I like it so far.

I have set up the refugium with new sand mixed with some old sand from old tank. I placed whatever macro I had in there.

Next I finally placed about 50 lbs of carib-sea reef grade sand about a week ago after I started the refugium set up.

Here is a picture of my current 30 gallon set up before and after. There are my handful of corals left behind on my homemade rack!!!

post-3198-0-00047300-1401242927_thumb.jp

post-3198-0-88945600-1401243257_thumb.jp

post-3198-0-97717400-1401243303_thumb.jp

post-3198-0-71157000-1401243426_thumb.jp

The rock was moved over the new tank and I am kind of liking the display and arrangement of rocks!!??grin.png

Now I have a sort of functional 65 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump and refugium. There is about 40 lbs of live rock and about 55lbs total sand.

Now I need to speed up cycle if any at all....I have added a few corals from old tank in there.

edit( I transferred my wp-10 for flow and my temporary lighting is a 36" T5 HO)

Next step is to get a skimma!

post-3198-0-54188600-1401243529_thumb.jp

post-3198-0-78854500-1401243582_thumb.jp

RSW those tank dimensions are super sick. Nice score.

I see someone used the idea of lining the bottom of their stand with shower pan liner. Hmm where did you get that idea? Haha! I have an SCA-302 on my tank if you want to check it out. It works very well and the price point is nice.

On the sump, I think that the water level may give you some problems. Skimmers have a set water level that they need to operate. Mine needs a water level of 8". Since the water level of the skimmer chamber is so high, you're going to have to build a sizable skimmer stand so that the body rests in a zone of operation. Also, the general water level is so high that it may only hold an additional gallon or two at most. If the power were to go out, you would probably flood the sump. I would test it with a simulated power outage.

I see someone used the idea of lining the bottom of their stand with shower pan liner. Hmm where did you get that idea? Haha! I have an SCA-302 on my tank if you want to check it out. It works very well and the price point is nice.

On the sump, I think that the water level may give you some problems. Skimmers have a set water level that they need to operate. Mine needs a water level of 8". Since the water level of the skimmer chamber is so high, you're going to have to build a sizable skimmer stand so that the body rests in a zone of operation. Also, the general water level is so high that it may only hold an additional gallon or two at most. If the power were to go out, you would probably flood the sump. I would test it with a simulated power outage.

Thanks. I felt this was a good fit for the next level. I really dont know what you are talking about.....linerwhistle.gif ....

Yes I have been eyeing the SCA 302 and it was recenlty on sale this past weekend, but I did not jump on it! I am sort of a procrastinator.

I have tested the power outtage scenario and the return lines have small holes in them and the sump fills to the top.....a little close, but it does not overflow the sump. Once I get the skimmer I will retest it again.

Appreciate the feed back!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my SCA 302 last week. Pretty solid skimmer. I like it thus far. Sascha, in your opinion for the SCA 302, what do you consider a good zone of operation or what part of the body should the water level rest? I am still tweeking it and I am getting wet skimate so I turned it down to try and get more dry, and it is working so far. I'll need to post pics soon!!

Nice tank this is the same setup I have! What are you using for light?

Looking good!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Thanks Ty. The one small stick of purple digitata that I got from you a while back has flourished and has become quite branchy!! My other SPS' are doing good too!!!

Nice tank this is the same setup I have! What are you using for light?

Thanks! The light that I am using is called Intellisun Smart Aquarium LED. It is an 85 watt that gets about a 24" square coverage. So there is some shadowing at the sides of the tank, but I am getting used to it and may get another in a few months!! Here is is a picture of it.

I'll have to post some more pics down the line of how I have it hung from wall. Quite nifty!!

post-3198-0-51696100-1402805817_thumb.jp

Archived