BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

Sadly I have no par mapping and a meter isn't in the budget right now. Naturally distance makes renting one from an Austin Lfs kind of impractical

I can lend you my par meter for as long as you need

Believe it or not, my SPS went through a lot of crap in my tank lol. They usually trained well enough to take a little beating as far as I know. But trust me, I know how you feel. Sometimes its not you, it's the DNA of the coral itself. The coral just able to tolerate bad parameter better than others even within the same species. We can pretty say the same with human being too.

Sadly I have no par mapping and a meter isn't in the budget right now. Naturally distance makes renting one from an Austin Lfs kind of impractical

I can lend you my par meter for as long as you need
Jonathan, you might consider having him ship it to you and you just pick up the shipping. Would be easier than waiting to drive out there.

Jonathan,

Sorry about your SPS troubles.

In all the reading I have done everyone claims that you can switch to 10k bulbs to increase growth on corals but you will sacrifice color. I have read this statement probably a hundred times but I have yet to see anyone actually prove that they pulled it off. I have noticed that most of all the major commercial coral growers are using 400w single mogul based radiums and they don't ever change. I'm not saying that you should change your HQIs but I have noticed that everyone's success seems to be with bulbs in the 14-20k range.

Was worth a shot. With the buildmyleds I've actually been happy with the color of my tank but I honestly think it's just too much. I wanted to go from fine to blow my mind great and it just didn't happen from a growth standpoint. I'm actually excited to change back to radiums. Mine have about 6 months of burn on them and I hear they can go well over a year before dropping that 10% of par so I'm just going to put my old bulbs back in and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Well. I changed the bulbs back to radiums. Goodness gracious they're bluer than I remember. Similar to when I had t5 and just the blue+ Bulbs were on, just without the green spike. Looks nice but some of the reflective Reds and purples in the sps have disappeared. Oh well. I truly can appreciate what whiter warmer lights do for acropora coloring. I'm gonna stay with the 20k bulbs though long term. The overall hue of the tank and 90% of my corals look better under it.

My woes continue though. There are now 4-5 acro species that are either all dead or will be there soon. It's all my oldest largest specimens as well. The newest ones look the best still. Solves my "where do I place all the new ones?" Dilemma.

I'm not totally discouraged but the lack of success with acropora has caused my interest to genuinely fade. I am now seriously consodering going more toward an Lps and Zoa dominated tank and try my hand at some more euphylia, brain type corals, bubble, donut coral ect.

That's terrible about the old colonies dying. As long as the frags are growing, keep your eyes on the bright future instead of the dying past... I know... so deep. [emoji57] Throw "Confucius says" in front of that and you got the makings of a good fortune cookie.

I'd just hold steady and keep changes to a minimum and ride the stability. You'll have colonies in no time again!

Time of death on my sps dominant dreams: 22:00 on 2/14/2015. Things continue to worsen. Watched my Cali tort colony die from the top down through the day and it's a goner. To this point the casualties are

Cali tort acro

Stuber stag

Northern lights Nasuta

Red dragon acro

Montipora undata

Mind trick montipora

Miami orchid acro

Red and yellow polyp smooth skin acro

Oregon tort acro

Cc Pastel shortcake acro

Raspberry cheesecake acro

All goners

And a little burning tips here and there on the rest. I don't think I can manage this level of disappointment in my tank again or at least for the foreseeable future.

I am guessing maybe it was something with my papppone recipe, or contaminated KNO3 I dosed, or changing up the light too much, or all of the above. Back to basics for me. Feed the fish, reef chili here and there, and 2-part. No more experiments

I'm wanting to kind of change directions with the tank. Strongly considering going Lps dominant. The ASD sale has some spectacular looking acan echinata. I want half a dozen of those at least. Considering a brain coral dominant tank with encrusting acans, favias, and goniastreas. With a touch or this and that here and there as well

I know the echinata are ultra aggressive. Will I regret them in the future? They're so pretty.

Other suggestions for higher light Lps corals good with flow and up on the rocks? I'd rather not make the all led switch unless my lights will just cook anything I put in the tank.

not so sure about light LOVING but....blasto, welso, acan, scoly all seem to like a bit heavier light in my tanks...

Just go to divers den and start poking around...I never considered chalice a LPS because of the Ca and KH uptake, but they do!

. . . ummm. . . . people. My SPS have all died over the last few minutes while I caught up on my mentors page here. Seems they had a massive heart attack and all died. Can I have free frags too? I mean if you are all being generous and all. . . .

That's a shame Manny. I'll be happy to give you 2 frags for everytime you've bought coral from me directly. [emoji57]

Done deal. No receipt required right? I,hear you have bad memory so you might have to take my word for it.
  • Like 1