BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

Negative haven't switched yet. My plan was to keep some ads up online but haven't expected any takers. I was gonna go ahead and use up these brand new radiums so they don't go to waste, but have an interested local just starting up in the hobby. So I may sell the halides in the next few weeks at some point. Kinda have to do that before I can hang the LEDs...my boss isn't aware I purchased them so it'll be an easier explanation if I sell the existing lights first. I may not have mentioned I bought the LEDs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya. My boss walked in one day, looked up when I had the canopy open, and then just walked away. She's like, I don't even want to know!

I had her fooled for a good long time since I matched the spectrum so well. My lighting switch passed the wife test! spiteful.gif

• Like 1

Lol awesome. That's kind of what I'm hoping to do. Hoping it actually goes unnoticed. I've accumulated so much stuff though she doesn't ask anymore usually. But my wife hates spending money so this hobby demands some discretion. All good though. She had a few friends over last night, and funny thing is her friends usually spend about 75% of their time looking at both tanks asking questions and she's gotten good at answering. I usually hang back and just let them observe and avoid running up and nerding out. Last night she said "if he dies I'm gonna have to hire a fish boy or something because I have no idea what all is going on with these other tanks under the stand with all the hoses and pipes and blinking lights and gas/air tanks"

Tough to worry when you're dead! Now if she hires a fish boy next week....We will have to have a talk...IF I'm alive

Edited by Bpb
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly yesterday my metal halides have moved on to a new reefers tank. I hope he enjoys them as much as I did. The new LEDs went up today. They fit perfectly in my canopy and actually have fantastic coverage. I notice no increase in shading or shadowing and I have been able to tune the color to be nearly identical to my radiums, just a lot dimmer. I'm starting very low at about 20% intensity per channel and will focus on increasing the whites as the weeks pass. I definitely prefer the overall look when the whites are turned up.

I also sold the large bowling ball sized rock that contained about 150 Zoas, an aiptasia or two, and my big but ailing toadstool. Hopefully the new owner is able to nurse it back to health. Now I have a big empty spot on the left side and a very angry clownfish.

7382a5be4992acd2019f2022cf649be6.jpg

cad50bd4a87aef605baafd027dc35905.jpg

cbc51b55479f67c6914b8a7e45436263.jpg

• Like 3

GiddyORION. So after doing some searching, I couldnt seem to find a website for a southern located carnivorous plant dealer. Since it's not against the rules here, can you post me a link to the site you were referring to? I'm wanting to really get this bog going but it seems like a funky time of year to go ordering a bunch of plants, being that its so hot and they'll be going dormant soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on the tank. No new livestock yet. I may be getting some ricordea soon though and possibly a bubble tip anemone. I've had Sherman rose bubbles in the past and found them too large and too frequent of splitters. I swore off anemones with this new tank but really considering trying one again since seeing Tys Colorado Ganja-Inferno anemone lol. It really does look nice and my clown has become listless without a home.

Lighting change has been going fine. I'm probably jumping up to higher intensities much faster than most folks do, but I don't see any negative reactions from anything so I figure I'll stay the course. I'm at about 60% white and 50% blue now on the ocean revive panels and bumped up my bml strip to 55% as well. In experimenting I cranked everything to 100% to have a look and really liked the brightness and color, but I don't want to toast the fixtures with that kind of power so I don't know that I'll go a whole lot brighter than they are now. I really want to get as long of life as I can from these.

With all the water chemistry talk with a couple of our new members on our college station forum I figured i would test my tank since its been a while. I have kept track of alk fairly regularly but that's it. It has been a good long while (seems like months maybe) that I've tested anything else. Numbers not too surprising. Here they are:

Alk: 8.0 dKH

Ca: 475 ppm

Mg: 1480 ppm

NO3: 0.25 ppm

PO4: 0.06 ppm

This is the first time I've actually gotten an NO3 reading this year. It's always undetectable. PO4 is up as well from past tests. Knowing that the presence of algae in a tank will cause heavy testing interference, i take those numbers with a grain of salt. I have no cyano to speak of, but plenty of red turf algae in the display and sump, and loads of chaeto and grape Caulerpa as well. If I am actually getting those readings NO3 and PO4, I suspect the true numbers are much much higher.

Looking back, my most successful stretch in the hobby was about a 1 year period I was dosing full strength kalkwasser, used t5ho lighting, ran biopellets, gfo, and carbon, with no refugium, and no water changes. While I don't intend to ever return to t5ho lighting, I am leaning toward kind of heading back down the path I previously was on to perhaps try to imitate those results. I will be rinsing some carbon and installing a gfo reactor again this week and seeing how those two things treat me. The past 1.5 years this tank has been ultra simple and low maintenance. No chemical filters or reactors of any kind, and I even was skimmer less for a while. Just water changes, good light, and feeding. It has given me better colors all around than I ever had before, and really explosive growth from Zoanthids and Lps corals, but generally still struggling with acropora and I have so much algae, it is simply indicative that despite my tests, I may have some serious inorganic, and probably organic content buildup in the water. Is that causing my problems? Who knows. I still think it's likely pest related, but being that locally we all trade corals constantly and I'm the only one with the issue, maybe not. Time will tell

• Like 1

You should see that anemone in person! It's crazy!

Glad you're going with the tried and true method for your tank. I'm all about finding what worked best with your system and it seemed like you had a pretty good recipe before.

I'm glad you are having success with SPS again. They are a love/hate relationship but truly rewarding when things go your way.

I see you've gone with a more blue look to your lighting. How are you liking those Revive fixtures? Are you having a pretty seamless transition?

To be honest I am really liking them. I was such a nay sayer for so long and even after two weeks, nothing has slowed down or lost any color at all. The picture looks very blue but I'm trying to keep the color as close to the radiums as i can. For future pictures I'll likely just turn the blues down/off to get good images. I love the iphone6, but the camera does this thing where it automatically adds a boat load of saturation to images and it is super blue sensitive. The above pic was just a quick shot of the lights as they were. Hopefully I can keep Acros again one of these days lol. This hobby really isn't the same without them

• Like 1

Yeah, I have mine currently tuned to a 14k Radium and really like the color spectrum. After 4 months in with these fixtures, I'm pleasantly surprised. I think the only thing I'll do is still add a T5 or a BML strip on the front of my tank to help blend the light better and light spots which aren't receiving as much par.

I'll probably remove the 90 degree optics from the red and green LEDs as well as I can see somewhat of a spotting effect from them if I look closely, but that's just me being picky. Once I remove the optics, the LEDs will be at a native 120 degree optic which will distribute the light better. I was advised to cut a piece of acrylic to replace the removed optic for splash control and I just might do that.

5e8d8d001b7f1081a54abc271d489469.jpg

Found my photo setting. White/color channel only at 100%. Buildmyled and blue channel both off. I love the look of it just fear it would be too low of par and growth inhibiting.

I read that thread about removing the optics and putting in acrylic to shield from moisture. Interested to see how it goes

• Like 1

My current setting of 80% white/ 20% blue in my DT allows me to photograph without having to play with settings. I have to do that in my sump though as I'm running 60% blue/20% white down there. I crank the white up to 100% to shoot down there.

The picture looks great! I think you nailed it. Part of me thinks I might not even put the acrylic sheet in there. It's not like these units are sealed so who am I kidding thinking moisture doesn't get into the fixture.

Well. I don't even have a calcium reactor, and my fancy dual stage regulator is now spoken for on my planted tank, but I came across a deal on a Cole Parmer Masterflex continuous duty peristaltic pump, ideal for running a calcium reactor. Too good of a deal to pass up. It'll sit in my equipment catalogue for a rainy day, or I may end up selling it

acebbf4ef9433dbe22fa36c7b846d1b7.jpg

149d55e4c130e254b092d44f87a50b65.jpg

• Like 1

Whatever that thing does it looks intense. Your tank is lookin good, glad everything is doing the transition well! What makes your rocks so red in that pic? Is that a camera setting or do they have algae or something on them? They look cool.

It's red turf algae. Pretty benign and the foxface and urchin love to munch on it, but probably means my po4 is too high despite my test results. The pump is a medical/lab grade continuous duty peristaltic pump designed to run 24/7 and they typically have very long life. They're capable of tremendous amounts of pressure as opposed to hobby grade pumps and used to PULL effluent from a calcium reactor. They have adjustable speed are are ultra stable. Usually very expensive, as in way out of my budget. Got a great deal on this one.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll try and take some more pics soon. Tank is getting boring. It's been forever since I've got any new coral. Months

Edited by Bpb

• 2 weeks later...

6a4ad5d796f37387d6d27ba6988155ee.jpg

400fc659dd3fff53d2bd5625530ae10c.jpg

1e8fbae6c4388f8f35221f6d6a9e3166.jpg

080759df3d90696a0c49123abbf27a43.jpg

f4c6eb04d2652c18d27d7916e3b0cb4f.jpg

1dfd0305c87342a5a70cfb0bad32d4f6.jpg

0881002b9df3e43cd5395fa5fe0321dc.jpg

Some of the ASD loot. Mostly Hawaiian people eater morphs, but I couldn't tell you what their trade names are. There are several dozen people eater varieties and more added all the time. What's in a name really?

I especially hope these rainbow Acans survive. I've had pitiful luck with them in the past. But...change a major variable like lighting and they may change my results

c096f2f07eb63ac87f6ea5e79630c045.jpg

75a934cea020c006dd37e5508d410a0e.jpg

Forgot one....and an FTS.

I have never used kalk paste to kill pests before so I decided to give it a go. I was able to really do a number on some yellow colony polyps that just won't go away. I think I killed most of them but there are a few stragglers I'll get later this week. That stuff works surprisingly well.

• Like 1

Thank you sir. They were super cheap too. I've always taken care to not hit acans with too much light or flow. Always on the sand bed. Try to feed several times a week with reef chili and cyclopeeze. Hope this time they take off. I know acan echinata can be wicked aggressive but I'd be ok with this one forming a large colony with those kinds of colors

Keep the new stuff coming. I swore off anemones after struggling to control the location and splitting of my Sherman rose. Broke that promise. Thanks to a local reefer here in CS who ordered one too many, I've got a lovely rainbow bubble tip. Never expected to own one of these as they're usually a little pricey. Hope it can hold up to my clownfish's aggressive lovin'.

90861ad4204fdcd2fde9d3001cac06b6.jpg