Oh the Humanity!!!

Richard L

Hi Richard,

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I have lost a lot of my SPS lately as well. I added some sand and LR lately as well. I think that caused a mini-cycle and things snowballed from there. Please let me know if I can help with anything.

Sad news Richard. SPS keeper nightmare. I hope the LPS are ok.

+1 on Sherita's post about lotion on your hands. I always try to remember to

wash my hands before dipping them into my tank. I also think the introduction of

sand bed could have cause a little spike if its not pre-soak in your tank water.

#*#)(**!!! ohmy.png That is such a terrible feeling when you put so much effort into setting up a system and know it's going to take so much time to get it back where it was! hmm.png

While this strikes me as unlikely is it possible some small animal fell into an overflow or something?

#*#)(**!!! :o That is such a terrible feeling when you put so much effort into setting up a system and know it's going to take so much time to get it back where it was! :hmm:

While this strikes me as unlikely is it possible some small animal fell into an overflow or something?

Thanks Tim. It's possible something got into the overflow. They looked pretty clean when all this was going on but something could have got stuck in a return line where I couldn't see it.

Sorry for your losses Richard, I had two major tank crashes since I started my current tank 3yrs ago or so. I totally understand the feeling. If you would like, I have at least 4 different birdsnest, 6-7 different digi monti & 5 different plating/encrusting monti, and bunch of other Acro that's already fragged or can be fragged that I can hook you up for free to help restock your tank whenever your tank is ready. Let me know, I got bunch of frags just sitting around taking up space, lol. SAM smile.png

Richard, are things improving? What is the latest status?

NO3 back down to undetectable. Nitrate has slowly been going down, now about 15ppm. PO4 was 0.12 on Sunday. That FTS is a little deceiving since the two big birdsnest in the center are mostly gone but have some live tissue so I'm leaving them. Same thing with the big scrolling orange cap - is mostly dead but there are rings of live tissue throughout so I'm optimistic they will bring the whole piece back.

Sorry for your losses Richard, I had two major tank crashes since I started my current tank 3yrs ago or so. I totally understand the feeling. If you would like, I have at least 4 different birdsnest, 6-7 different digi monti & 5 different plating/encrusting monti, and bunch of other Acro that's already fragged or can be fragged that I can hook you up for free to help restock your tank whenever your tank is ready. Let me know, I got bunch of frags just sitting around taking up space, lol. SAM :)

Thanks Sam! I'll probably give it another week before I introduce anything new. I'll hit u up then.

If i want them can i battle esacjack?

Sure, but you may be falling victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line"

Sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen after a short move of my 25gal. Best I could guess was low temps and or caused a pH drop. Lost all SP's and 90% of LPs. It has taken a year to get the water stable in that tank. Wish you the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear.

This is one of the main reasons I don't keep SPS. Scares me you can lose a whole tank worth of inhabitants that quickly. Especially since I don't test or monitor my parameters at all.

Hows the frag tank? They are on the same sytem aren't they?

Zoas okay? ;)

• 6 months later...

This is obviously very belated but it's possible it was a bactral infection that may have started several weeks prior to the actual dieoff. A recent "Changing Seas" episode on microbes detailed research showing a human pathogen is causing some of the corals deaths in the caribean as well as increases in the populations of disease causing bacteria before a coral showed signs of infection. Dr. Kathryn Sutherland also notes her research showed a slowing in coral growth prior to the appearence of an infection.

http://video.wpbt2.org/video/2245417400/

http://changingseas.tv/index.html

Archived