Yellow encrusting sponge control

jestep

Anyone know of something that will eat a yellow encrusting sponge? It's taken over a few zoa colonies and is now starting to take out some sps. It was pretty much benign for a long time but has recently started to take off. Would be very difficult to remove the entire rock that it's on.

It would require taking half my rock in the entire tank out which is why I don't think is a viable option since it's covered in coral.

I've heard angels will eat sponges. Not sure I'd like to go the coin toss approach with one though. It would have to be a dwarf if I went that route. No way I'm trying a moorish idol.

Several nudibranchs are dedicated sponge eaters. I have a pencil urchin I got at the Aquadome that has been clearing my tank of encrusting yellow sponge (the kind that makes small flutes). I like the sponge, so far he's been able to maintain it without decimating it, but a few of them should be able to make short work of it to get it under control. Easy to catch and remove when you're ready to pass them on.

Several nudibranchs are dedicated sponge eaters. I have a pencil urchin I got at the Aquadome that has been clearing my tank of encrusting yellow sponge (the kind that makes small flutes). I like the sponge, so far he's been able to maintain it without decimating it, but a few of them should be able to make short work of it to get it under control. Easy to catch and remove when you're ready to pass them on.

That might be a good idea. I didn't realize they ate sponges. Do you have problems with them eating coral at all? I wonder if I can find some really small ones that can fit in smaller spaces.

I haven't had any issues with them eating coral because I had a proliferation of sponge. They're slow moving enough (especially when eating) that you should have time to move either the corals or them to where you want to target them.

Here's one from a while back. I'll try to get one tomorrow when the lights are on. It has spread substantially from this size.

yellow-sponge-1.jpg

That colony of fire skirt zoas is totally gone.

Unfortunately my small Cali tort colony succumbed to the sponge this weekend. It must release some sort of toxin because the tort went really fast. Was just nipping at the base last week and toast over the weekend. Have never seen a non-seriatopora SPS go this fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying to find one. The dome hasn't had any. Haven't had a chance to check aquatek or RCA.

Here's a few cell phone picts. This thing is the sponge from hell. I've found it in several other places in the tank now. Possibly going to start trying active destruction. Maybe injecting H2O2 or kalk...

IMAG1196%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG1195%20(Custom).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to try injecting some kalk paste and H202 and hot fresh water, not all at the same time though. Maybe FW dip or lugols as well. If those don't work I'll give the apistasia-x a shot. From everything I've read, there isn't a documented method of getting rid of it unless some livestock ends up eating it. Still haven't seen a pencil urchin locally for awhile. There is one frag I can remove that's completely covered in it, so I should be able to experiment outside of the tank itself.

i have what is probably a silly idea. i have always read that sponges can die if exposed to air... i'm not sure if this is all sponges, but is it possible to just take the thing out of the tank for a minute or two and see if it gets enough air to kill it? i mean, whatever else is on the rock may not like it, but it probably wont like kalk, H2O2, and hot water either. it definitely doesn't seem to like being encrusted over.

I thought about it but the rock it's on is roughly half of my tank so it would be very difficult. Nothing is totally of the table though.

oh, yeah. that would make it a bit different. you'd be better off just draining the tank for a bit :).

Hey guys, I found this thread while doing a google search because I'm having the same issues.

I've spoken with jestep through a PM or two about it, hopefully one of us can find a fix or someone else can chime in that has had this and won. The nudibranchs will have to be a last resort for me due to my wrasse.

I'm going to try to post a few pics showing what I'm dealing with, please excuse my camera skills. These are taken with my phone.

8F8F8057-5124-4737-BD6A-9400560594C6.jpg

041B56CD-E8E7-48FB-A34D-16063DCE0EA2.jpg

134A77A6-771B-4EE8-B06F-D9E4C950159F.jpg

I've been trying to find a pencil urchin but haven't been able to find any locally. Funny though since I gave mine to aquadome about 3 years ago after it destroyed the rockwork in my nano cube.

Going to try some kalk this weekend. I'm fairly certain that will kill whatever's in direct contact with it. I'm usually more in favor of finding a natural approach, but not so much in favor of risking damage from a rogue urchin or angelfish.

I did find a few other forum postings and it seems that this particular sponge doesn't give a s*** about air exposure. Read at least 1 example of it being injected and even fully exposed to air for several hours with no effect whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Last week I injected some of the sponge with lemon juice and really didn't notice much change.

A few days ago I injected some vinegar in to a few spots of the sponge and those areas are turning black. I'll post back in a few days to post an update.

Archived