New to the forum, just saying hello!

Jpowell490

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, another member and all around good guy wink.png, Wade, introduced me to this site.

Have about 25 years or more in tank experience with about 20 of that being saltwater. Current tank is a Deep Blue 60 Cube, Ecoxotic 25 Cube, and a 15 cube.

I have experimented with every brand of LED that you can think of, so if you have any questions, I would be happy to share my experience. Here is a few pics of my current set up. Still playing with the new camera, so I am by far not a professional photog!

Welcome to the club.

I will take you up on your offer of LED knowledge. I am not really interested in different manufactures fixtures. I am focused on spectrum requirements of macro algae. Specifically, two deep water macro algae; Red Grapes and Dragons Breath. Both of these red macros are collected between 30'-130' in the Gulf of Mexico. At a target depth of 80', 72% of green remains, 73% of blue and violet remain. Help me design an LED spectrum that will simulate where Dragon's Breath grows the most abundant.

Laissez la bonne temps roulee,

Patrick Castille

Mgr, Aquaculture Ranch

Subsea, this is strictly for growing macro algae, not a display tank correct? So what you see won't necessarily matter right?

I received the other PM's about LED's and my experience with different fixtures. I think the best thing to do is type up a post and go from there. I have had the following, just for reference.

Kessil A150

Kessil A360W (Currently on my tank)

Ecotech Radion Pro

Taotronics 120W Blue/White non adjustable LED

Aqua Illumination Vega Color

GHL Mitras 6200HV

Apollo Reef UV 6000 (Their latest LED)

Ecoxotic Stunner and Panorama Pro modules (Currently over my 25g Ecoxotic Cube)

and some more I am forgetting, but will remember when I make the post. I also have a Hamilton Cayman Sun MH 400W pendant. I have taken PAR readings on all of these fixtures as I have and Apogee 200 PAR meter.

I can definitely tell you which LED spectrum will grow corals, which LED manufacturer I found to be good, not so good, etc.

I am a mariculture grow out facility. I have 10K gallons of greenhouse grow out system and 500 gallons inside my house. I am doing R &D on optimizing specific spectrum for Dragons Breath. Appearance to the human eye is unimportant. On my display tanks, I run 12K reef spectrum from Build My LED.

I plan to use the spectrum where they are collected in the GOM. AT 80' there is no red spectrum left. To the human eye, blue is the predominate color. I planned on using information from scuba divers that are versed in photography. I will use the spectrum at that depth as a starting point.

Ok,

I am working on the post. I have a ton of information that I have put together.

I can tell anyone though, if you are on the fence, go with a Kessil A360W. 1 covers my 24x24x24.

Kessil is the ONLY LED with true UV. UV in moderation helps corals growth and color. That is the reason SPS loses color most of the time when people switch from MH to LED.

Ok, stopping there for now.

Hey all,

Sorry about the delay on the LED workup. My mother passed away and I am working through all that right now. I will get a post up this weekend, if not sooner, to help you guys out with the LED's.

Thanks,

Jason

Families before fishtanks!

Archived