Tunze ato pump

KimP

Does anyone know if these things can be opened? My pump has slowly stopped working and the impeller gets stuck. I'd like to open it up and see what's going on. I don't dose through the ato, so I'm not sure what could be making it stick.

I'm not sure that they can be opened up. Are you using it with the osmolator or standalone? You can test the pump standalone by connecting a 12v battery to it.

you might also try a vinegar soak and see if there's just grunge in there.

if all else fails, aquatek has em for like a buck more than you can get from roger.

I bang it around in there each time I switch jugs and that gets it going. Over time it's pumped water slower and slower and slower until now it doesn't pump at all. If I pull it out and start to spin the impeller manually it'll kick on, but as soon as I stick it back in the water, nothing. No amount of jiggling it around in there helps anymore. I've left the pump sitting for days and still nothing.

I had to replace mine when it started doing that. Some of the pump coils are probably burned out. In the air there's no resistance so it spins but as soon as you put it in the water it bogs the motor down, or it's being shorted internally. You can find the motor on ebay and probably most fish stores that carry Tunze products. Not sure if anyone carries them locally.

If I pull it out and start to spin the impeller manually it'll kick on

do you wear a scarf and googles and yell "clear" whenever you do that?

No, but I would if it might help, lol!

I dont think you can use another pump. Some ATOs have a 120v regular old switch you can plug whatever pump you want into, but I think the tunze uses a DC pump. Theyre not super expensive, i wanna say like 20-30 bucks?

Archived