LED Melting Acans

Lamont

I have a 58 gallon tank that has a lighting set up of 2 x 250w MH's(Plusrites20K) with 2 x 65w PC's(Sunpaq420nm). I was thinking about making the jump to a LED set for heat concerns. All of my corals and fish are thriving. I just would like to get rid of the fans that i have blowing over the tank. I was think about getting 1 panel of the AI Hydra LED. I started researching LEDS and scme across this video. At 7min and 30secs into this video they started talking about LEDs stripping flesh off the Acans.

Check it out!

I've seen this video and that's what made me stray from acans for a little I did test one out in my tank but it didn't like my flow and died in a week

Also they were using the AI sol, I'm sure that you would be fine with AI Vegas, hydra ,or the new hydra 52

I've had what I would consider poor overall results with LED fixtures that only used CW and RB like the AI Sols in the video you posted. One specific example is pink birdsnest that never thrived under an Orphik PR156 (comparable to two AI Sols) is doing very well in the same location with about the same amount of wattage of BuildMyLED.com fixtures with a much wider mix of LEDs.

My acans are thriving under the Reefbreeders Photon fixture. I've got three different frags that have open up big as you like and have sprouted new heads. They may melt if I put them halway up the tank and crank it up to 100%, but then that would be my fault and not the fixture's.

I've had what I would consider poor overall results with LED fixtures that only used CW and RB like the AI Sols in the video you posted. One specific example is pink birdsnest that never thrived under an Orphik PR156 (comparable to two AI Sols) is doing very well in the same location with about the same amount of wattage of BuildMyLED.com fixtures with a much wider mix of LEDs.

tend to agree with tim here. My growth overall was fine with just RB/CB LEDs, but my coloration sucked. It's much improved under a wider spectrum, with comparable growth, and I would imagine that getting to the most appropriate full spectrum would only improve color and growth.

+3 I keep acans under my LEDs. Just keep them far away from the emitors. Acans, Zoa, and chalices hate LED's at 100%, especially if youre talking less than 12 inches from the fixture.. In my experience, the first mistake people make with LED's is trying to run them at 100% at the same height as their halides... With LED's even though the tank appears dim, the intensity of the light is still there. Start low on the dimmer, and work your way up. Be sure to include red and green in your design, and leave cool white out completely, and go with something like the cree x-lamp that is a NW with a broad spectrum.