FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love a little jazz in the morning! Goes great with some happy sps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jazz with a little background Reeflo return pump... I forgot to mute out the video sound. doh.gif

Ol Aggie, I'm starting to not think its chloramines. I ordered a new full kit of chloramine filters and a new mixed bed DI resin tube but I haven't installed it yet. The SPS seem to still be recovering the same so that leads me to believe it is just the increased salinity and possible tank newness. I have also shut off my biopellets so that may be a possible other cause. I am eliminating each variable one by one until I can hone in on exactly what caused it... or at least what was the greatest contributor since it may be a sum of all of the conditions that caused it.

I'll report back with what I find out for the next person thinking of upgrading an SPS tank. snack.gif

Jazz with a little background Reeflo return pump... I forgot to mute out the video sound. doh.gif

Ol Aggie, I'm starting to not think its chloramines. I ordered a new full kit of chloramine filters and a new mixed bed DI resin tube but I haven't installed it yet. The SPS seem to still be recovering the same so that leads me to believe it is just the increased salinity and possible tank newness. I have also shut off my biopellets so that may be a possible other cause. I am eliminating each variable one by one until I can hone in on exactly what caused it... or at least what was the greatest contributor since it may be a sum of all of the conditions that caused it.

I'll report back with what I find out for the next person thinking of upgrading an SPS tank. snack.gif

Good idea. I'm sure him/her will appreciate that.

Haha I was actually gonna bring that up! You aren't following your own guidelines to posting great reef videos... I guess it's acceptable this once

So, ever sit around at night wondering to yourself... I wonder what a pregnant female mandarin goby looks like? Well if you do, look no further! You can scratch that one off your saltwater bucket list!

20140406_2222450_zps9pjul5ep.jpg

20140406_222244_zpsvnpxjwyt.jpg

20140406_2222430_zpshmgtxd8o.jpg

Well now that you know what that looks... ever wonder to yourself... I wonder what it looks like to see two mandarins spawning? See below! Congratulations, you are 2 for 2 now!

These two were doing this for the better part of an hour last tonight. Sometimes they would actually release eggs/sperm but most of the time it was just all about the dance. The gametes are so small that I didn't realize anything was actually happening until all the chromis started to flash around the pair and started frantically eating things out of the water that I couldn't see. Most of what I filmed didn't catch the release of gametes but more of the dance. At 1:40 in the video, I think some where released then but I think they were all out by this point.

Happy viewing!

I'd like to thank these guys in the following video that made this happen. If it wasn't for their hard work and sustainable nutrition, we wouldn't be witnessing this today. shifty.gif

So, ever sit around at night wondering to yourself... I wonder what a pregnant female mandarin goby looks like? Well if you do, look no further! You can scratch that one off your saltwater bucket list!

20140406_2222450_zps9pjul5ep.jpg

20140406_222244_zpsvnpxjwyt.jpg

20140406_2222430_zpshmgtxd8o.jpg

Well now that you know what that looks... ever wonder to yourself... I wonder what it looks like to see two mandarins spawning? See below! Congratulations, you are 2 for 2 now!

These two were doing this for the better part of an hour last tonight. Sometimes they would actually release eggs/sperm but most of the time it was just all about the dance. The gametes are so small that I didn't realize anything was actually happening until all the chromis started to flash around the pair and started frantically eating things out of the water that I couldn't see. Most of what I filmed didn't catch the release of gametes but more of the dance. At 1:40 in the video, I think some where released then but I think they were all out by this point.

Happy viewing!

I'd like to thank these guys in the following video that made this happen. If it wasn't for their hard work and sustainable nutrition, we wouldn't be witnessing this today. shifty.gif

+2...pretty sure this is my favorite arc post, ever. haha that just made my week ty! those Mandy's look so fat and happy, i like how they go behind the colony for privacy. **** chromis, get out of the way!

My tank has been pretty stable as of late... enough so that I went ahead and collected back my SPS colonies back from their foster homes. Thank you Richard L, Juiceman, and ol' aggie for saving my babies.

I took some time tonight to glue all my colonies back on the rocks before my urchins walked off with any of them.

Here's just a couple of quick snaps of the tank. It's good to have my SPS back!

Blue lemonade

20140421_235053_zpsbiwx7ljc.jpg

Blue tenius

20140423_004603_zpsputt6byq.jpg

Purple stylo

20140422_001750_HDR_zpsa3kwpo29.jpg

Left side of tank

20140422_213738_zpsjvutkchn.jpg

FTS

20140423_004726_zpszqacwg47.jpg

My tank has been pretty stable as of late... enough so that I went ahead and collected back my SPS colonies back from their foster homes. Thank you Richard L, Juiceman, and ol' aggie for saving my babies.

I took some time tonight to glue all my colonies back on the rocks before my urchins walked off with any of them.

Here's just a couple of quick snaps of the tank. It's good to have my SPS back!

Blue lemonade

20140421_235053_zpsbiwx7ljc.jpg

Blue tenius

20140423_004603_zpsputt6byq.jpg

Purple stylo

20140422_001750_HDR_zpsa3kwpo29.jpg

Left side of tank

20140422_213738_zpsjvutkchn.jpg

FTS

20140423_004726_zpszqacwg47.jpg

Mighty fine coloration on that tenius. Someone did a great job.

All those large colonies tolerated going back and forth pretty well it looks like. Do you expect any problem with that Tenius so close to the kryptonite candy canes? I've

Lost two colonies of those candy canes due to coral fight losses.

Yes yes, can you give it more blue undertones like the first pic? I think the lime green polyps are kind of gawdy, almost like a cheap red lipstick. You have something more subtle... like a pastel green? rofl.gif

Oh yeah, the colonies were fine with the transitions, even with the stressed state. All of the foster tanks are really stable systems so the transition was easy. Even with the differences in average temperature, alk levels, lighting, and even salinity.

I just goofed it all up by letting my salinity go sky high on me but I think if that didn't happen, the transition would have been very smooth if that eases your concerns on upgrading tanks with SPS. Hindsight is 20/20 but for those out there still using a hydrometer, get a refractometer already! I never check my salinity since I don't do water changes but the one time I needed it to be correct with the tank upgrade, it let me down! Lesson learned!

It does actually. You're not the only person I've followed through the process too. Your build thread is an excellent teaching tool for those who are wanting to upgrade actually. You did so many things right. So would you wager to say that if you hadn't encountered weeks of hyper salinity, it would have been a near seamless transition? I'm so glad you're finally back on track because I'm gonna hit you up for some specific pieces at some point in the coming months.

I'm sure there would have been a period of a week or so where acclimating them to the 400-watt lighting versus the 250-watt lighting and the different flow patterns and tank newness would have had them at their less than stellar colors but I doubt I would have had the rampant STN I had when I thought I was running a system at 1.026 when it was really around 1.032 for an extended period of time.

Archived