FarmerTy's 215 build

FarmerTy

You think it looks naked now? Wait until the fish are removed for 76 days!

Thanks Ol'aggie. I forgot to update you that I got your tub to stop leaking. There's nothing a ridiculous amount of silicone won't fix I guess.

I'll have to run through the tank now and kalk any leftover encrusted pieces of SPS on the rock when I removed the colonies. I think there's really only one piece from where the ORA Chips acro was... as it was one of the only pieces that I let encrust on the rock up to that point.

Do the pests you are dipping for only go after acros? Or do you have to remove the birds nest, stylo, and satosa to dip as well?

AEFW (acro eating flatworms) and red bugs only attack acros so the birdsnest, stylos, montis, LPS, and softies are all safe.

Well go put on a hat, I want the tippage! [emoji145]

Bpb - dipping is the easy stuff. I'm more worried about the fish removal. My tank is the safe zone and I'm always afraid to take anything out of it as I'm going into uncharted waters from that point. Are my nitrates too high? Is the temperature fluctuating too much? Is there enough dissolved oxygen... Etc.

Reading this kind of thread is what makes people scared to have reef tanks! Impressive dedication though.

Ty - when looking at what kinds of fish I want in my (eventual) reef, I see Flame Angels w/ this listed:

The Flame Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles.

I take it this is a case-by-case basis as I don't think you'd keep one if it was nipping your corals, yes? Any words of wisdom on how to choose or acclimate so that your Angel isn't a reef eater?

Reading this kind of thread is what makes people scared to have reef tanks! Impressive dedication though.

True, but it's a hobby. I'm willing to be Ty's having a blast doing his little mad-scientist experiment. Some people want to just look at the pretty fish... Others want to play with the equipment... And others want to frag everything... It's all about doing what you enjoy. :)

• Like 1

Ty - when looking at what kinds of fish I want in my (eventual) reef, I see Flame Angels w/ this listed:

The Flame Angelfish is prone to nip at stony and soft corals (sessile invertebrates) and clam mantles.

I take it this is a case-by-case basis as I don't think you'd keep one if it was nipping your corals, yes? Any words of wisdom on how to choose or acclimate so that your Angel isn't a reef eater?
Definitely case-by-case with angels but with a flame, I'm going to say nipping is in their DNA. Mine actually nips... but for me, it doesn't matter. Volume is on my side... it is like my old rabbitfish... they just nibble a little to taste but never really focus on one enough kill it. I have so much volume of corals that it really doesn't matter. Same with my emperor angel, he nips as well... just in their DNA. But there are so many colonies that it gets so spread out, it doesn't even matter anymore. That's my take on it at least.
  • Like 1

True, but it's a hobby. I'm willing to be Ty's having a blast doing his little mad-scientist experiment. Some people want to just look at the pretty fish... Others want to play with the equipment... And others want to frag everything... It's all about doing what you enjoy. :)

I'm definitely of the always "trying to improve my tank" mentality. I don't handle being idle well.

I'm sure I could have just walked away from my tank and everything would have been fine regardless. But if I can ensure there are no pests with my final populations of fish and corals, why not? Is there risk? Of course. Is it worth it to me to do this? Well, I think I've already answered that! [emoji6]

Plus, it's the only chance I get to experiment anymore since the career change. [emoji16]

• Like 1

Ghost town!

087068d8ea474a21352674b139a8c5ef.jpg

The new mayor of ghost town

c2ed6755e070561d60b89a397e622ad1.jpg

In the transit tub before I put them in the treatment tub and start the TTM. I actually still have to catch the leopard wrasse. He did a sand dive once he figured out what was going on and I haven't seen him since. Hopefully I can grab him tomorrow night and get this thing started. He will definitely be hard to catch though.

c4a0ba3994592321f1e282e32d745673.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm... I'm checking the fish database again but the doesn't look like a leopard wrasse. I'll give it one more day and I'm going to go ahead and treat the other fish and I'll just have to treat the leopard by himself. Cruddy part is the 76 day counter doesn't start until I get him out of that tank!

bd43a434564aaee22de6422feb915ae7.jpg

One leopard wrasse... check! Just passing this helpful little nugget along but if anybody happens to be trying to catch a leopard wrasse, just stick a net in the water and watch for where it dashes into the sand. Then get a net on either side of that and start working your way towards it. When you get close enough, it'll dash out of the sand and hopefully into one of your nets.

Day 1 of 76 of FarmerTy's Fallow Fest! March 3rd, here I come!!!

This also marks Day 1 of the tank transfer method (TTM). The fish will be moved every 3 days (not to ever pass 72 hrs) to a new tank with new water. After 4 transfers, they will be ich free and will remain in the tub for 76 days before I put them back in the DT.

• Like 1