Tropicorium recieves federal indictment for illegal acquisition and sale of

victoly

I'm getting the picture that a lot of this kind of thing goes on. I imagine that part of the problem is that the profit margins are so slim that the temptation to take short cuts is overwhelming.

I wonder how much of this is due to ignorance of the law vs intentionally disobeying it.

I'd like to think these people know the rules about having permits and knowing what they can and can't collect but perhaps in the case of the sea fans they were truely ignorant. Sharks/fish/alligators should be pretty cut and dry though.

That's disappointing to see but like Mlaw pointed out is probably more common than we think. With collectors either inadvertaintly or deliberately mislabeling species (like the endangered rhizotrochus typus being shipped as Elegance) we shouldn't be surprised to see more. Florida can be pretty strict on it's interpretation of the rules regarding transporting animals. I know Segrest Farms had a problem a couple of years ago transporting animals they had federal permits for and were collected in federal waters and were legally sold to out of state customers who could legally own said animals and they paid the fines because they were cheaper than the legal fees fighting the state. During the florida live rock wars in the early - mid '90s the aquaculture industry took Florida state to federal court and won when Florida tried to stop legally collected rock from federal waters from being landed in the state.

I know people who paid dearly for undersized redfish in their coolers in the 80's and 90's..... Wildlife violations are serious in Texas and should be.

We can learn from the recreational fishing folks. They organized via GCCA etc.

Wildlife can be managed effectively so that everyone can enjoy it. But it is only as good as you give. Involvement is key. We are the small guys and will get stomped if we don't speak with a unified voice, and deep pockets. Sorry to say but lobbying costs money and you have to pay to play..... sad.png

Ignorance of the law, or being a scofflaw, doesn't matter... You get caught with the wrong thing (e.g. a bucket full of turtle eggs) and you are in deep doo doo! tongue.png You may beat the rap but you won't beat the ride.

Anybody know why lionfish would have been protected or are they talking about something different than a Volitan spp?

Did you see lionfish on a list? Most I could find was about sharks, incorrectly sized fish, seafans, and directly collecting alligators. Maybe mlaw can pull the indictment from Pacer or the court it was filed in.

The article states "The indictment also calls out various species of undersized nurse sharks, angelfish, butterflyfish, wrasses, starfish, sponges, rock anemones, shrimp, tangs, and lionfish that were taken as well during this time frame." Why would lionfish, an invasive non-native species be protected from collection or is there native fish known in Florida as a "lionfish" and it's not reffereing to a Volitans spp lionfish we're all familiar with?

Archived