Tank Controller - Worth it?

TheKipf

Hey guys,

I'm getting my tank up and running again after a two year hiatus. I'm working through some improvements and I've been looking real hard at a tank controller for my system.

I just wanted to get some input from the group on what your experiences have been - and if it'd be worth the investment for me.

My setup is pretty basic with lots of room for improvement.

90g display

20g long sump with Refugium

9.5 mag return

T5 lighting

Protein Skimmer

Basic Koralia power heads

Heater

Some upgrades before the tank goes live again

Looking hard at an MP40es

Replacing my old Phosban Reactor

ATO - might put the order in today if anyone has good suggestions smile.png

Down the line...

Calcium Reactor ... eventually.

So - my thing here is that with just a simple basic set up what can I gain with with a tank controller? I'm not really running chillers, calc reactions (as of now), tanks dosing, etc...

Would I get a good ROI?

Here's my understanding of some basic gains

1) Timer control module for my T5s daylight/antinic controlls

2) Feeding time option (disable on a timer my return pump / power heads)

3) Saftey control for the heater should it go haywire.

4) Some options to montior / control temp issues in my tank. IE - disable some equipment / turn on additional equipment should the temp get over a thresh-hold

5) On demand reading of water quality (ORP, PH, temp, ... others?)

What other uses have you guys found that proved to be beneficial to your tank.

For the record - I was eyeing up the Reef Keep Lite Plus:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefkeeper-lite-plus-digital-aquatics.html

What limitations would this have over, lets say, the Apex?

Thanks for the feedback!

Get the apex. I've had reef keepers fail and the customer support is night and day difference.

You'll never regret having the controller and they hold value well.

Another plays is auto leak detection in case of a flood it can text and email you while it shuts down pumps and such.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

You pretty much summed up the benefits. Just having everything controllable and monitorable from a single place is a huge convenience. Definitely not necessary though. You can easily run everything on power strips and timers.

I have both an Apex lite and a RKL, and I would either use power strips or get the Apex lite or full apex. The interface and ease of use compared to the RKL is significantly better. It also comes with the ability to connect it to the internet and control everything with your phone or computer. I have my vortechs hooked up to it as well.

If you do keep things manual or have equipment not on the controller these are a must have as well: http://amzn.com/B0002GL50Q

Remote access/control is a big one for me. Notifications when things are not as it should be, or something as mundane as my ATO jug being empty. Coordination of skimmer vs return pump to prevent skimmer from overflowing, eg turn off skimmer when return pump is turned off, then delay skimmer start up when return pump is turned back on so sump water level can return to normal. Easy implementation of CaRx.

I can't imagine being in the hobby w/o a controller!

+1 for Apex, Neptune support, and Apex user community.

@Mitch - I'm glad to hear that you can delay the start of the Skimmer / verse the pumps. I hadn't read that specifically but it's good to know that it is possible.

@Bio - for the water overflow protection - is this an additional module/prope or does it come with the Apex as a standard?

Also is the web module on the Apex standard as well - or is that another additional add-on that is needed to be purchased? I will say it's silly to me that these units don't have wifi/web integration out of the box. I'm pretty sure in reading the specs on the RKL that it isn't included (or possible at all).

Thanks for the feed back all to go with the Apex. Of course the more expenisve option is always the preferred eh? :)

Remote access/control is a big one for me.  Notifications when things are not as it should be, or something as mundane as my ATO jug being empty.  Coordination of skimmer vs return pump to prevent skimmer from overflowing, eg turn off skimmer when return pump is turned off, then delay skimmer start up when return pump is turned back on so sump water level can return to normal.  Easy implementation of CaRx.

Can you send me that delay code?

@Mitch -  I'm glad to hear that you can delay the start of the Skimmer / verse the pumps.  I hadn't read that specifically but it's good to know that it is possible.

@Bio - for the water overflow protection - is this an additional module/prope or does it come with the Apex as a standard?

Also is the web module on the Apex standard as well - or is that another additional add-on that is needed to be purchased?  I will say it's silly to me that these units don't have wifi/web integration out of the box.  I'm pretty sure in reading the specs on the RKL that it isn't included (or possible at all).

Thanks for the feed back all to go with the Apex.  Of course the more expenisve option is always the preferred eh?  :)

you should look at the unofficial manual that they made official and you can diy the leak protector from speaker wire. For remote connection just hardwire to a router or get a 20 dollar Linksys WiFi adapter

I do it with the feed code. I don't remember the exact verbage, but after a feed, you can make it wait x minutes to turn back on.

Send the code its copy paste. You know I don't like work Lol now remote access your tank and get code! Lol

@Mitch - I'm glad to hear that you can delay the start of the Skimmer / verse the pumps. I hadn't read that specifically but it's good to know that it is possible.

Also is the web module on the Apex standard as well - or is that another additional add-on that is needed to be purchased? I will say it's silly to me that these units don't have wifi/web integration out of the box. I'm pretty sure in reading the specs on the RKL that it isn't included (or possible at all).

Thanks for the feed back all to go with the Apex. Of course the more expenisve option is always the preferred eh? smile.png

The apex has a server, and an ethernet port. Most of us end up using a wirelss bridge so we don't have to run ethernet to the tank.

The leak detection modules are an add on.

A few on the forum have dabbled with the RK, and I've never heard people geek out over it like they do the apex.

I do it with the feed code. I don't remember the exact verbage, but after a feed, you can make it wait x minutes to turn back on.

Send the code its copy paste. You know I don't like work Lol now remote access your tank and get code! Lol

do it yaself ya lazy ***

http://www.reeftronics.net/victoly/apex-program

Remote access/control is a big one for me. Notifications when things are not as it should be, or something as mundane as my ATO jug being empty. Coordination of skimmer vs return pump to prevent skimmer from overflowing, eg turn off skimmer when return pump is turned off, then delay skimmer start up when return pump is turned back on so sump water level can return to normal. Easy implementation of CaRx.

[ Skimmer ] ( 4_8 )

Fallback ON

Set ON

If Outlet ReturnPump = OFF Then OFF

If Outlet MaintSkimmer = ON Then OFF

Defer 000:30 Then ON

For reference, I have my Apex programming in my build thread:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/22832-mitchs-90g-ver20/?p=164600

Remote access/control is a big one for me.  Notifications when things are not as it should be, or something as mundane as my ATO jug being empty.  Coordination of skimmer vs return pump to prevent skimmer from overflowing, eg turn off skimmer when return pump is turned off, then delay skimmer start up when return pump is turned back on so sump water level can return to normal.  Easy implementation of CaRx.

[ Skimmer ]  ( 4_8 )

Fallback ON

Set ON

If Outlet ReturnPump = OFF Then OFF

If Outlet MaintSkimmer = ON Then OFF

Defer 000:30 Then ON

For reference, I have my Apex programming in my build thread:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/22832-mitchs-90g-ver20/?p=164600

Yay! Like a sir!

They're definitely not cheap. As long as you don't need dimming or ORP out of the box the apex lite covers pretty much everything. You can add modules on, but I would weigh the cost of buying the full Apex because the modules aren't cheap. Vortechs need the WXM no matter what controller you buy, if controlling vortechs is a priority.

They're definitely not cheap. As long as you don't need dimming or ORP out of the box the apex lite covers pretty much everything. You can add modules on, but I would weigh the cost of buying the full Apex because the modules aren't cheap. Vortechs need the WXM no matter what controller you buy, if controlling vortechs is a priority.

or a calcium reactor.

If you future plan is a CaRx, you should 100% go full apex for the 2nd pH probe built in instead of having to add the VDM module.

The price diff between Full vs Lite is $130, per BRS. Adding a 2nd pH probe (for controlling a CaRx) via PM1 is $85. Adding VDM module to control LEDS and/or variable pumps is $100.

If a CaRx and/or LEDs are in your future, get a Full Apex.

The price was always my detractor. If I had an extra $300 I would invest it in another set of LEDs then corals and fish. With my Lights and Pumps on seperate breakers and having my pumps on a battery back up thats what gives me peace of mind. I dose manually using the airpump gravity fed method which is less than $10 dosing and I would probably mess that up if I tried to automate it. I also don't use a skimmer and rarely check Ph. Now if it would do a daily test of my Alk/Ca/Mg then dose accordingly then I will gladly fork over the money. The heater issue is my only real concern but one of these days I'm going to build an controller based on Capt. Obvious' Instructions http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/25659-lets-make-a-controller-and-other-fun-uses-for-arduino/

I have both the apex and the RKE and RKL systems. The web interface for the apex is really nifty I have to say. But if you get a DA Aquabus for the RKL/RKE, you can keep it connected to a host server for historical reports (this is not ideal for most people)

Comparing the Apex Lite to the ReefKeeper Lite, they are about the same animal. One thing to take note of, port 1 and 3 on the RKL are the only ones you can use for powerheads/heaters, the other two can be used for lights, dosing, fans, etc... The RKE has the same issue, but has 8 ports you can choose from (albeit a huge jump in price). The Apex lite does not have this issue, but costs a bit more for the basic/lite version. If you only have a few things to control, then I would go with the RKE as its dirt cheap. But if you plan on expanding, and remotely monitoring your system, the Apex cannot be beat. In my case, I have the RKL's on simple frag tanks and our biocube, whereas I have the Apex on my DT tank in the living room.

Archived