BRS Kalkwasser Dosing

SChrisEV

At the start if last week I started dosing Kalk, it has done the trick with maintaining calcium and alkalinity, as well as upping my pH to about 8.3. I am adding through my top off water. But I am having an issues that recently started. I use an aqua lifter for the ATO attached to my APEX controlled by a float switch in my sump. The ALEX will turn the power on to the aqua lifter, but the aqua lifter is not (at least not all the time) pulling water. I assume there is a clog in the line some place. If I turn the outlet off for a bit then turn it back on it seems to then work.

Two issues here (I guess 3 if you count that the Kalk is not getting dosed), one; now my top off is not happening when it should and two the aqua lifter gets hot because it is technically ON but no water is running through for a long time, I assume this will drastically shorten the lifespan of the pump. I'm thinking about buying a dosing pump and use it for the Kalk and use my existing setup as I did before for the ATO. I like the idea of having a "single concern" for both f these. I have a few question..

Until I get a dosing pump, assuming I do, how do I deal with the clogging issue? It is just a matter of cleaning the tubes, if so what should I use? Also Is there a way to set a Max run time in my APEX for the outlet the aqua lifter is connected to? Example is once on, then stay on for no more than 5 minutes. then I guess I'd want it to stay off for at least X minutes to give the pump a break if it is "clogged". I've seen examples of how to keep an outlet off for a period of time (like if you turns your lights off due to heat), but not 100% sure how to implement.

Longer term, will getting a dosing pump help with this issue, the clogging? I assume that a dosing pump will have a stronger pull then the aqua lifter. OR is there another suggestion all together.

Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly, aqualifter is a diaphragm pump that pulls a vacum. A vacum is not very powerful for moving water. A dosing pump pushes water and is more reliable as a mover of water.

Patrick

If I remember correctly, aqualifter is a diaphragm pump that pulls a vacum. A vacum is not very powerful for moving water. A dosing pump pushes water and is more reliable as a mover of water.

Patrick

So I was thinking about using this basic dosing pump: Cheap Doser but the BRS Dosing pump here: BRS Doser is similar. Looking at both of these items, do I need another actual pump (I assumed I do NOT), or do these devices also pull/push water (no external pump)? If so, they look like they would also use a vacuum, no?

it uses rollers to "pinch" the tubing and move fluids. peristaltic pumps are going to be a much more reliable method of dosing kalk. bonus, you can use it for other dosing if you ever switch away from kalk.

Perfect on the peristaltic pumps, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks!

Now until my peristaltic pump is here, any help setting the APEX so the outlet for the current pump only stays on for X minutes at a time?

Patrick

So I was thinking about using this basic dosing pump: Cheap Doser but the BRS Dosing pump here: BRS Doser is similar. Looking at both of these items, do I need another actual pump (I assumed I do NOT), or do these devices also pull/push water (no external pump)? If so, they look like they would also use a vacuum, no?

Chris,

All pumps work best with a flooded suction. Pumps that lift water are very inefficient with power consumption per gallons pumped. More importantly a vacum is difficult to maintain and is easily disabled with a very small leak. As a system design engineer, I would stay away from using a vacum to control a process.

Patrick

Perfect on the peristaltic pumps, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks!

Now until my peristaltic pump is here, any help setting the APEX so the outlet for the current pump only stays on for X minutes at a time?

depends on how you have it set up. When the float actuates, you want it to run for x minutes?

Basically yes. I was just about to move this to the controller forum, but this is what I have now:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet SumpLow = ON Then ON (SumpLow is tied to the Switch1)
If Outlet SumpHigh = ON Then OFF (SumpHigh is tied to the Switch2)
If pH > 08.39 Then OFF (Added this when I started dosing Kalk in ATO)

So to this I'd like (if possible) to only let this outlet be ON for say no more than 5 minutes at a time.

And actually, I probably want it to stay OFF for at least X minutes (say 5) once it is off. In other words, the Switch1 will/could still be OPEN at the end of the 5 minute ON cycle, I don't want it to switch the outlet right back on. I'd like it to stay off for a bit giving the pump a break.

Min Time 05:00 Then On

So, I think this will address the delay in turning back on right? But not only allowing it to stay ion for 5 minutes, is that correct? If so can I even do that? I assume I can.

Sorry one more post here. :) How does this look:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 00:00/05:00/05:00 Then ON <-- Turn on for 5, then off for 5, unless any of the following three steps turn it off?
If Outlet SumpLow = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet SumpHigh = ON Then OFF
If pH > 08.39 Then OFF

Thoughts?

I set mine up a little differently. After all the horror stories of water level switches getting stuck and flooding the house I decided to set it up without using a cut off switch. I marked a line on the side of my sump where the return pump is located at the desired water level. I determined by that line how much water evaporates each day and then set my top off doser (BRS) to come on at timed intervals throughout the day to keep the water close to that level. It's not exact, but it always stays very close to that line and will never ever over flow.

Archived