Calling all LED nerds!

Jmvanness

lol @ JImbo

Does anyone use par38 bulbs? I can't find a lot of information on them. I know they would limit my control options, but they would be significantly less expensive.

Because of my center braces I think smaller fixtures might work better.

Considering the 2x AI Vegas, 3x 24" BuildMyLED fixtures, or 5x par38 scattered across the tank.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol @ JImbo

Does anyone use par38 bulbs? I can't find a lot of information on them. I know they would limit my control options, but they would be significantly less expensive.

Because of my center braces I think smaller fixtures might work better.

Considering the 2x AI Vegas, 3x 24" BuildMyLED fixtures, or 5x par38 scattered across the tank.

I have an ecoxotic and a zooman par38 over my quarantine tanks and used to have one over my office tank. I also have a pico twentyk over my pico quarantine system. I like them, but you have to play with your optics to figure out what you like/need mixing and power wise. Frankly, I feel they get too hot for the amount of bulbs in each unit.

I did diy leds in 2008. Talk about not knowing anything. I did 30 leds half blue half white with two drivers. I hated the color but the coral didnt mind. I am lucky enough to have a friend that owns a lfs in Houston. He let me borrow an ai sol, ai vega and a gen 1 radion. They were ok but I felt the need to fiddle with them. Then arc had a tour of bml and I won a 48" reef spectrum and I was sold. I could take great pics and my wife liked the color the best. And 3 12" fixtures fit inside my bio cube 29 hood. So I was sold. You don't need to figure out the led combo on the bml. You can get the Aquadome/aqua tek chosen combo which is the reef spectrum. Then get super actinic to add blue/ dusk/dawn effect. I was confused too and felt this was easiest for me. And you can add lights if you feel you need more.

With respect to BUILDMYLED, I like the crisp look of their 12K light. There general recommendation of 1' for each 10G of water will produce 100 PAR at the bottom of your tank. That should provide sufficient intensity for your livestock. For light loving SPS, it would not be adequate.

Patrick

My question is with respect to the 1" per 10g rule. I'm probably wrong, but it was my understanding that higher wattage produced greater PAR at the bottom of your tank, i.e. light penetration. So if that's true then how does adding more fixtures of LED's increase the PAR at the bottom of your tank when the wattage is the same per unit?

With respect to BUILDMYLED, I like the crisp look of their 12K light. There general recommendation of 1' for each 10G of water will produce 100 PAR at the bottom of your tank. That should provide sufficient intensity for your livestock. For light loving SPS, it would not be adequate.

Patrick

My question is with respect to the 1" per 10g rule. I'm probably wrong, but it was my understanding that higher wattage produced greater PAR at the bottom of your tank, i.e. light penetration. So if that's true then how does adding more fixtures of LED's increase the PAR at the bottom of your tank when the wattage is the same per unit?

If my tank is 4' long, then two 4' fixtures will produce twice the PAR at bottom of tank as one 4' lamp.

In the case of BUILDMYLED, if I compared a 4' fixture using 90 degree optics with a 75 degree optics, the 75 degree optics would get more PAR to the bottom of the tank but less at the top.

Patrick

Patrick

If my tank is 4' long, then two 4' fixtures will produce twice the PAR at bottom of tank as one 4' lamp.

In the case of BUILDMYLED, if I compared a 4' fixture using 90 degree optics with a 75 degree optics, the 75 degree optics would get more PAR to the bottom of the tank but less at the top.

Patrick

The 75 optic will get less spread but more depth. I think it will have more par top and bottom but less spread coverage

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Thanks for the explanation. I looked up some acceptable PAR values for coral on a random website, PAR and Reef Aquarium Lighting. For example, if someone wanted to have a mixed reef with SPS at the top, LPS in the middle and mushrooms on the bottom then they would need PAR values of 450, 300 and 100 respectively?

Thanks for the explanation. I looked up some acceptable PAR values for coral on a random website, PAR and Reef Aquarium Lighting. For example, if someone wanted to have a mixed reef with SPS at the top, LPS in the middle and mushrooms on the bottom then they would need PAR values of 450, 300 and 100 respectively?

Consider the geometry of the angle of optics beam, with LED you can focus light as a beam instead of a wave. For my simplicity, I wanted my LED lighting over my 75G Jaubert Plenumn to be blended between the three rows of lamps. For custom design lighting, LED can not be touched.

With respect to a simple/econominal method for using controllers on BUILDMYLED lamps, I suggest having 4' lamps on different circuits. One 4' lamp could be configured with custom blue spectrum to come on first and go off last for dusk/dawn. While this does not allow the tweaking that techies like to play, it is effective, reliable and econominal.

Patrick

With BUILMYLED two foot 12K reef spectrum over 20G high tank, bottom highest reading was 105 PAR. The LED bottom lens is 7/8" above rim of tank and waterline is 1 3/8" below rim. The readings will start at waterline and end 14" below waterline.

Evergrow makes the reefbreeders lights. I just got in on a group buy for two of the ITO2060's. google evergrow and the item no for specs. Its also available in 36". I posted a link for the group buy thread on here and that also has the specs.

I'd use that unit with caution. Channel 1 on it has a ton of colors on a single channel, meaning you can't tweak the relative strength of the LEDs on the same channel, only dim them all in unison.

For anyone wondering whether or not LED's are worth the cost, I have found a calculation page that will help you decide. I did not create it.

Reef LED Aquarium Light Calculator

Interesting. If I were to switch to a reefbreeders or an evergrow 36" controllable fixture that would replace my aquatic life 4 bulb T5HO if would cost around $500, and with bulb changes and electricity factored in it would take me 10 years to recoup the cost of the new fixture. Aside from a bit more par, doesn't seem worth the cost. Better fixtures would likely never be recouped as they would be obselete by the time I made tha money back. Lol. Now...I know many of us are in the hobby to keep healthy and amazing looking livestock, not to save money. Which is why a lot of people still use MH. Just an interesting tidbit that kind of negates the "cost saving" argument of switching to LEDs.

In short...if you're gonna switch. Don't do it to save money, because by the time you will have saved that money, you'll be looking to buy something new long before that. Do it for better performance

Mine is a little better than that because I pay more for electricity than you do. I'm also comparing 400w T-5's and 210w LED fixtures, which are supposed to be similar.

How many watts of electricity do your current bulbs consume? 400
How many hours do you run your lights each day? 12
How much do you pay per kilowatt hour? $0.11
How much do you spend on bulbs each year? $100.00
How much does the LED fixture cost $750.00
How many watts will the LED consume? 210

Annual cost of current lights (bulbs + electricity) $292.72
Annual cost of LED lights $101.18
Annual savings by switching to LEDs $191.54
Switching to LEDs will pay for itself in 3.92 years

Lifetime savings by switching to LED $1,436.55

Archived