Wood stand

(Bio)³

Yep, ripping it yourself is a good option if you are comfortable doing that. That is actually what I did for secondary support in my stand. I user 2x4 but "side ways" or flat along the corners then ripped 2x4s for some addition support as well as material to screw into. Then also along the front of the bowed wood.

Not sure about Lowes but Home Depot DOES carry kiln dried boards, at least the Four Points one does here in Austin. I assume they will carry it where you are now as well. And actually I'd guess you'll be hard pressed at Home Depot to find a kiln dried 2x2 so you'll need to rip it. As for species, if you get kiln dried, I think I already have you sold on that, then for this small a tank anything they have is good for you. And I'll actually take back what I said, this size, kiln dried go with the white wood, Premium Kiln Dried Whitewood Stud (HomeDepot). :) It's also lighter weight but still very strong.

Different areas will have different stock wood species. For example here in Texas ceder is the exterior wood of choice, in CA it was Redwood. It will be similar with hard woods. Depending on what species you want to sheet it with, you may need to find a lumber yard.

As a side note, I enjoy working with wood, so the idea of being really picky about the wood I buy then rip it was really a no brainier for me, it was more fun than work. :) PlusI have the tools, a good table saw will help a TON with ripping any kind of wood.

You're going to need to find a good lumber yard to get kiln dried 2x2's or 2x4's. HD or Lowes has some but most of it is ceder or interior stuff that's going to be an inch or less thick.

Overall, you may be better of ripping 2x4's for this though. I haven't purchased any in awhile but I always remember it being extremely difficult to find straight 2x2's. Unless you have a planer on hand, possibly a joiner if they aren't extremely bad, you might be better off starting with 2x4's and working them to the smaller dimension.

Awesome, and noted. I will start the hunt for a lumber yard near my location. Hopefully I can find a worker on the yard willing to listen to my project idea and they can advise based on their stock what works best.

But please keep the information coming it is very helpful to me.

sometimes the lumber yard will rip it for you.

Good to know, less work for me is good work!

Yes, they MIGHT rip it, but usually either at a cost, and or not a great cut. They have the tools they usually don't have the time for precision cuts. If you can become "budz" with one of the guys then you might be in luck.

Home Depot carries dimensioned lumber, and does carry 2"x2" up to 48" in length. I'd go with the red oak, nice hardwood. Keep in mind that dimensioned lumber is not the actual advertised dimensions, it's the dimension before the lumber was planed, joined, etc. A 2" x 2" predimensioned is actually 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" (which is still plenty strong for your tank). Home Depot and Lowes also both carry baltic birch plywood in 2'x4' sheets.

Throw on a marine grade epoxy paint and you'll be fine. The pre-dimensioned lumber will save you 90% of the necessary cutting and sanding.

so much awesome info! Thank you everyone.

As far as tools, I only have currently available- drill, skill saw, jig saw, sawzall, 2 table saws, chops saw, dremel, bench sander, palm sander plus some hand tools.

I'm hoping I can either rip the 2x4 down and clean them up enough with the tools on hand or get some 2x2 that are straight and make it work. Going to make sure that either way it is kiln dried.

I really hope I'm not about to get in over my head. But I guess we gotta get wet before we swim.

http://www.2x4basics.com/WorkBench-Legs.asp

^-- this is what im using as a stand on my frag tank and grow out tank in the garage. :D they work great!! so great in fact, I ditched my craftsman workbench and opted to build one of these with shelf link kits to support extra lights. That came out so well, I bought shelf link kits for my garage tanks, and now I'm hanging my fixtures, dosers, ATO from them. :D

very awesome, I have seen those in the past and wondered how well they would work.

I've started ripping the 2x4 and getting the stand built. I'm thinking I'll just do some corner braces to keep it from racking plus the shelf will help. (knowing me I'm going to put way to many of these lol)

since you have a workshop you can just cut triangles of 2X4 to make your corner braces. The ones you by have never seemed that effective to me. but, i'd wait until you got your shelf in there. if you hard mount your plywood shelf to a farme of 2X2 it may rigidificate it right up.

no pic here and i didn't look too closely at your build thread, but do have a 2X2 frame at the bottom?

dustin asked in your tank build thread if you were concerned about it rusting out.  I wasn't sure what he was talking about to be honest.  The tank maybe?

Oh I didn't see that

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

oh, i'll keep my trap shut then.  Posted Image

yes, i can keep my trap shut, it just takes a bit of will power that i often reserve for other things. 

That takes the fun out if threads. Don't do that

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Schnikes:

Unless I missed something in the three pages of comments you're still talking about a 6 gallon tank. Presuming a lot of equipment and substrate you're still talking about less than 10 lbs per gallon. I'm a big fan of overdesigning* but art / style aside this is pretty simple. The point being that even to me it seems like a lot of respondents have over engineered their responses. Go to your local Walmart, Petsmart or other big box pet store. Look at how their 10 gallon tank stands are designed, then think about how they would be sued if these stands weren't very generously engineered.

NOTE: In re: my statement of overdesign I've built my own stands for 6, 10, 20, 29, 55, 180 tanks as well as stands for 46, 55 and 110 gallon tanks. I've never built a stand that wouldn't conservatively support 2x their design weight as a minimum.

Holy Schnikes:

Unless I missed something in the three pages of comments you're still talking about a 6 gallon tank.  Presuming a lot of equipment and substrate you're still talking about less than 10 lbs per gallon.  I'm a big fan of overdesigning* but art / style aside this is pretty simple.  The point being that even to me it seems like a lot of respondents have over engineered their responses.  Go to your local Walmart, Petsmart or other big box pet store.  Look at how their 10 gallon tank stands are designed, then think about how they would be sued if these stands weren't very generously engineered. 

NOTE:  In re: my statement of overdesign I've built my own stands for 6, 10, 20, 29, 55, 180 tanks as well as stands for 46, 55 and 110 gallon tanks.  I've never built a stand that wouldn't conservatively support 2x their design weight as a minimum.

6 gallon DT

13 gallon sump

5 gallon ato

I haven't been to Walmart in 5 years, that place sucks.

I've always commissioned metal stands, my last stand could hold up a hummer and it was for 90 gallons.

I think at some point we all got carried away and had fun with it. But all the wood stands I have seen took full 2x4 and don't look amazing in my eyes.

Thanks for chiming in, where are your build threads?

Archived