ID Please - Tiny things GOM Macro Rock

Planeden

Hey Guys,

I found some more stuff on my accessory rock I got from Patrick. It is tiny, but I thought I'd give you guys a try anyway.

When I poke it the heads close up, but the stems don't do anything. I'm leaning towards thinking it is a Paly of some sort because it retracts (i don't think macro does that) but it has longer tenticles than I think zoas have. But, you know how good I am, it could be a crab.

post-3177-0-12919800-1373573160_thumb.jp

same photo, cropped and zoomed.

post-3177-0-16770200-1373573171_thumb.jp

thanks everyone.

PS: additional information

I fed it and it grabbed and squanched up like corals do. I say like corals because i don't know how hydroids do it.

They didn't sting me. I really need to get used to this "things in the tank will hurt you" thing and actually poke it with a stick to check the response instead of using my finger.

these guys are around 0.1" in diameter (the disk) and maybe 0.5"ish long.

Out during the day, closing at lights out.

Grog, on 11 Jul 2013 - 15:50, said:

Looks like some sort of anemone to me: curly cue anemone is my guess.

I'm no expert though, and it is hard to tell from the pictures.

See page 6-8 on this link. Is that what you have?

http://tbsaltwater.com/thepackage/organisms.html

yeah, it is not much easier to see in person. but, i'm leaning towards that not being it because the photo (8 specifically) has very promenent tenticles which are not on mine. it would be more like the photo if you took away the large tenticles and just had the little hairs around the perimeter. but maybe mine are just too small to have the big ones yet.

when i put some food in later i will look and see if it reacts and what it looks like.

ps: thanks for that site. it seems like it'll be very helpful and is easy to navigate. bookmarked now.

They kind of look like some "snake polyps" I have in my tank, though maybe not. Snake polyps are in the zoa family, but are more nocturnal as they are non-photosyntheitc (though mine open up during feedings.

Maybe a type of hydroid?

My vote is the polyp stage of Nausithoa sp jellyfish (Delbeek and Sprungs "The Reef Aquarium" Vol II pg 431). They will bud off 1/4" diameter jelly fish but your filtering system will remove them pretty quick. Probably as harmless as anything else in your tank.

Ok, some additional information. I fed it and it grabbed and squanched up like corals do. I say like corals because i don't know how hydroids do it.

They didn't sting me. I really need to get used to this "things in the tank will hurt you" thing and actually poke it with a stick to check the response instead of using my finger.

i should have mentioned - these guys are around 0.1" in diameter (the disk) and maybe 0.5"ish long.

oh, they have been out all day. i'll check on tonight's relative outness.

@James - I does sort of look like snake polyps, based on the live aquaria picutre. except it is more sparse with tubes separated by a fair amount at the rock. i'm not sure if that is a factor at all.

@jeeperty - not sure if you have ever looked up how to kill them, but it seems that they are like cockroaches, the only other things that will survive a nuclear war. someone even said they were in freezing water for 24 hours and came back. reef epoxy (or superglue) the colony seems to be the most practical consnsous i've found.

post 12 on this page describes two things called colonial hydroid. mine appear to be more like the tube ones, which he says are more like what timfish is discussing.

@timfish - you told me to buy vol. III, not vol II :). i was hoping it was a typo, but vol III did not provide any help, so unfortunately i can't read up on it there. but i did some googling, and it does appear that it could be jelly fish. well, except the no sting part...not sure if they may just be too small.

thanks for all the responses, guys. still not certain what to do, but at least they are not in fact crabs :).

Sometimes they have a greenish tint under actinics. If you touch them with your finger, you won't feel a thing. They will just close up. But brush the soft parts of your skin against them (below wrist area) and bottom side of forearm and be prepared to feel an itching sensation. Then for the next day or so your skin will blister and it looks horrible. Don't ask me how I know.

And yes... they are like the roaches of the coral reef world. Indestructible!

-Ty

yep, ok, the disks are green under royal blue LEDs (i'm guessing that is sort of like acentic). i will work to nuke them. collecting tweezer, H202, superglue, and napalm.

thank you kindly everyone. invaluable resources.

If you touch them with your finger, you won't feel a thing.

-Ty

it's still probably a practice i should avoid. the other day i was picking up leaves of red macro. one of them started wiggling in my fingers. i dropped it and it was clearly a bristle worm as it scurried back into the sand. didn't sting me, though. not sure if these close calls will learn me or if i'm going to have to jump around in pain a few times first.

Well, I rub palytoxin into cat scratches. We all live on the edge somehow! hyper.gif

Sorry, Vol II covers soft/leather corals, anemonies and polyps. Lot of good stuff but doesn't deal much with filtration and water chemistry. Vol III is definitely the book to start with.

Well, I rub palytoxin into cat scratches. We all live on the edge somehow! hyper.gif

Sorry, Vol II covers soft/leather corals, anemonies and polyps. Lot of good stuff but doesn't deal much with filtration and water chemistry. Vol III is definitely the book to start with.

ha, does the palytoxin help the scratches?

no need to appologize for offering a detailed source that i don't have. you put in the time to cite a source, and page number, for someone you have never actually met. i'm sure you have other things you could be doing rather than researching for me smile.png. I have wondered what vols. I and II cover. i figure if vol. III is such a unanomously good source, vols I and II must be as well. now that my tank is set up, i should probably look into getting those and learn more about husbandry.

so, i went in last night with all my tools (including gloves). i plucked all the ones i found/felt and then scrubbed liberally with H2O2. i was surprised half way thorough when i picked up the rock and the royal gramma squirted out into the tupperware. whoops.

i really hope this gets rid of it, because some of my macro is turning a funny orange color sad.png. it appears that it in only part of the two types have this color, so i'm hoping that even if it doesn't recover it will not kil the whole colony and it will respread. the other two types of macro (including a small bit of red grapes) seem to be far enough away that they were not affected. but i'll be a pretty annoyed if i kill of the good stuff and still have the stuff i was trying to get rid of...grrr.

I vote Hydroid. I've had them in the pasts and they were not a big nuisance.

well, hopefully i have your brand of hydroids and not ty's.

unrelated - so, i'm assuming you did the MS150? i did that back in the 80s, the fourth one i think. it was windy. heck of a feeling, though. i'm still proud however many years later.

Archived